GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
BTW I removed the WOT plug to avoid dealer questions, it read 25k ohm across the terminals. No wiring issues noted and the plug was well secured

·
Registered
609 Posts
BTW I removed the WOT plug to avoid dealer questions, it read 25k ohm across the terminals. No wiring issues noted and the plug was well secured
What does the WOT stand for? In my line of work it’s Wide Open Throttle.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Did I miss your model year and mileage? It’s always nice for a poster to provide such information when asking for help.

All 2011s and (I believe) 2012s NOT having MYLINK had to have a dealer installed retrofit kit that included a sensor for battery fluid level. The retrofit required (among other things) splicing the sensor into existing wiring The splicing by the dealer has not always been successful over time (loosening, corrosion, etc.).. It can be a failure node, something that has been overlooked in the past. I believe that those 2012s having MYLINK have the sensor factory installed with the correct factory wiring loom. IOW, if you have a problem, determine whether or not the sensor was installed by the factory and trouble-shoot accordingly.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Did I miss your model year and mileage? It’s always nice for a poster to provide such information when asking for help.

All 2011s and (I believe) 2012s NOT having MYLINK had to have a dealer installed retrofit kit that included a sensor for battery fluid level. The retrofit required (among other things) splicing the sensor into existing wiring The splicing by the dealer has not always been successful over time (loosening, corrosion, etc.).. It can be a failure node, something that has been overlooked in the past. I believe that those 2012s having MYLINK have the sensor factory installed with the correct factory wiring loom. IOW, if you have a problem, determine whether or not the sensor was installed by the factory and trouble-shoot accordingly.
Post #19 2013 mid MYbuild by MFG date

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
WOT was a handle for a very knowledgeable member (i believe that he had worked for GM). It stands for Wop On Tour (I believe). Sadly, WOT dropped off the forum suddenly and we don't know why. There is speculation, but, only that. We don't know and we miss him!

Reactions: bentbiker

·
Registered
609 Posts
WOT was a handle for a very knowledgeable member (i believe that he had worked for GM). It stands for Wop On Tour (I believe). Sadly, WOT dropped off the forum suddenly and we don't know why. There is speculation, but, only that. We don't know and we miss him!
Ah thanks, I recall him from several years back. I believe he was involved with Voltec development.

·
Registered
609 Posts
WOT is an abbreviation of the member name, "WopOnTour". He developed the defeat plug.
And the defeat plug was intended to prevent ERDDT?

·
Administrator
20,116 Posts
And the defeat plug was intended to prevent ERDDT?
It is meant to prevent a recurring battery coolant level sensor issue with early Volts that results in a false "low coolant" error, triggering an issue that prevents the car from being charge. The sensor's GM used were repurposed from another application. When they flake out, you can end up making many trips to the dealer to end up with them replacing the sensor with another, that can also flake out. Rinse and repeat. The WOT sensor essentially "hard wires" the system to never see a low value for the coolant level. There are other sensor's in the car that will still react to an actual low level scenario. Remember, the Volt was originally designed without this sensor. It was a retrofit largely based on Capitol Hill politics.

I have an original WOT sensor for my battery coolant tank.

What you are referring to is placing a small resistor across the poles of the outside air temperature sensor located in the bumper grill to trick the car into thinking it's warmer outside than it really is. The higher air temperature reading keeps the car from initializing ERDTT in the winter.

I also have an air temperature sensor modified with a little resistor to prevent ERDTT.

Both of these have been in my 2011 Volt for many years.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have the WOT plug on our G1, and the ERDTT defeat on my gen 2. It's a little annoying that the stereo reads something like 40F any time the OAT is below 40F but I'm moving somewhere that never gets that cold so I guess I don't care anymore. Honestly when it's below zero to 15F the chances are I'm going to use a little gas to get to and from work anyway, so the ERDTT isn't all that irritating to me.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Okay, well the fix was relatively painless.

Ultimately the fix was a software update that changed the trigger value.

They miss recorded P0AA6 as (P0116)

I can verify the 300k OHMS was the value recorded when I checked it with my pro-scanner.

I’ve driven several cycles today. No more MIL and it’s back to normal charging again. All work covered under Voltec warranty.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
interesting, I had that recall done over a year ago, if not two.

I can't get my vcx nano to work so IDK if I can check that value with torque pro

·
Registered
609 Posts
The recall listed first is a different issue than the software they installed for the sensor calibration.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I see. Perhaps the same will apply to ours then. I'm having them check the axle nuts too. If my stupid vcx nano would work I could have just done that myself.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
my dealer is basically saying the same, they want to change the level sensor (dammit) and reprogram 2 modules. None covered under voltec warranty.

·
Registered
609 Posts
my dealer is basically saying the same, they want to change the level sensor (dammit) and reprogram 2 modules. None covered under voltec warranty.
Thats BS. Service letter PIC5920J applies.

In addition this service bulletin

refers to the PIC5920A (first version)

Read the whole bulletin in the link. At the very bottom is the warranty coverage info.

Code : V Voltec applies.

Give it to the advisor and point it out. Then ask him to show you where it says it’s not covered. They get paid by GM for warranty services and should not be trying to put it on you.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
well, they wanted 370 to do the programming and the sensor, I asked not to do the sensor and it only dropped it like $27. So I said go ahead and do it. I'll bring that though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
well, they wanted 370 to do the programming and the sensor, I asked not to do the sensor and it only dropped it like $27. So I said go ahead and do it. I'll bring that though.
So, what happened in the end? Did you have to cough up the 💸 or did they cover it under Voltec warranty?

·
Registered
39 Posts
So, what happened in the end? Did you have to cough up the 💸 or did they cover it under Voltec warranty?
I'd be curious to hear, too. I'm taking my 2013 in to the dealer next week for the same thing.

Has anyone taken it in with the WOT plug already installed? My mechanic installed mine, but wasn't able to fully clear the codes...and he threw away the original sensor 🙄

21 - 40 of 44 Posts