GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you don't live in the Bay Area, this won't be of interest, but if you have a Volt and are in the South Bay especially this might be useful reference information.

My 2012 Volt (~39K miles) had the casing on a motor bearing fail yesterday, resulting in a lot of noise while driving. And, not certain what the problem was, I wanted to get it to a technician as quickly as possible to avoid damaging the car further by driving it. I called three dealerships:

1. Boardwalk in Redwood City said they wouldn't be able to look at the car until next week at the earliest.
2. Capitol in San Jose said I shouldn't even bring the car by as they were completely full.
3. Courtesy Chevrolet in San Jose said, yeah we're busy, but you should come by anyway -- we'll take a look and make sure that the car is safe to drive or at least get you a loaner right away.

I took the car to Courtesy and the service advisor listened to the car drive up, knew what the problem was immediately, explained everything and brought in her in-house Volt advisor to answer any additional questions. She explained that the new motor bearing would have an improved metal casing, that the plastic casing was intended to be lighter and quieter but that Chevy engineers had moved to a metal design for later model Volts because the plastic just wasn't holding up well enough. She was attentive, knowledgeable, and fast.

The whole thing was a much better experience than I've had with any of the other Chevy dealer service departments I've been to since I got the Volt. If you find yourself needing help with your Volt in the South Bay, you might want to give them a shot.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Miraglia,

Thanks for posting and sharing your experience! I was always wondering which dealer I would choose in the South Bay if I ever encounter a serious, or difficult problem.

Knock on wood, but I haven't experienced issues yet on my Volt, but I can agree that it took nearly a month to book a Saturday appointment at Capitol Chevy (free tire rotation and inspection). Capitol is mostly booked solid, and even a weekday appointment is needed several weeks in advance (given that there are very few Volt technicians).

I had a good experience there, and the car was washed and cleaned afterward. It's just the difficulty of getting an appointment.

Ivan Jue

·
Registered
411 Posts
Knock on wood, but I haven't experienced issues yet on my Volt, but I can agree that it took nearly a month to book a Saturday appointment at Capitol Chevy (free tire rotation and inspection). Capitol is mostly booked solid, and even a weekday appointment is needed several weeks in advance (given that there are very few Volt technicians).
Ever wonder where the dealers make their money? - hint - it's the service department. No wonder most dealers are so lame when it some to selling/leasing Volts. Why sell a car that will never come in for $ervice?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I've taken ours to Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine , TX . On every occasion I was in and out with a rental car in 3 minutes . When I returned the Volt had a full charge and was washed .

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Is this covered under warranty or do you have to pay for this repair?
Not to be harsh but if you own a 2012 Volt with 39K miles as the OP stated you should know the answer to that question before taking the car in. And not accept a different answer from any dealer service department.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@lawjds: The drivetrain warranty is 5 years / 100K miles, so the motor bearing is covered under that, thankfully.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts