GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This just popped up today on the DIC. "Service Driver Assist System" followed by "LKA System Unavailable" and "ACC Temporarily Unavailable" when attempting to turn those on. Windshield and front Chevy emblem all clean/clear. Parking assist and auto parking systems still work.

Power cycled the car a few times, but no luck. Also let the car sit for a while before turning on, also no luck. I've had the car for less than a week so far. Not too happy with this. Taking a road trip next week and I need cruise control to work. I guess this is the price you pay for ACC: either it just works or no cruise control work at all.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I suggest the following:

1) Check to make sure the 12V AGM battery connections are not loose.
2) Check the voltage of the 12V AGM battery, if it is not in the range of 12.3 - 12.8V the battery is likely defective. Do this when the Volt is not powered on, otherwise you will be reading the output of the Auxilliary Power Module (APM)
3) Press the OnStar button and request that the OnStar representative perform an on-demand remote diagnostics on the vehicle. Have them relay any error codes that are found to you so you can provide the codes and the incident number to the service department. The best time to do this is right after the problem has occurred.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions, jcanoe.

I measured the 12V battery with the Volt off (but plugged in) and got 12.72V. Turned the car on but this time no error on DIC. Drove a bit around the block and no errors popped up, both ACC and LKA was working. No idea what happened here, but the Volt had more time to sit around before I fired it up now. I'll keep a close eye on this and if it happens again, I'll be sure to hit that OnStar button right away, as you suggested. Here's to hoping that it's a simple software glitch.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, jcanoe.

I measured the 12V battery with the Volt off (but plugged in) and got 12.72V. Turned the car on but this time no error on DIC. Drove a bit around the block and no errors popped up, both ACC and LKA was working. No idea what happened here, but the Volt had more time to sit around before I fired it up now. I'll keep a close eye on this and if it happens again, I'll be sure to hit that OnStar button right away, as you suggested. Here's to hoping that it's a simple software glitch.
I can't say if the voltage reading you obtained was affected by the Volt being plugged in; probably would have been higher if the 12V battery maintenance cycle was running (this happens on the Gen 2 Volt periodically when the car is plugged in.)

Did you test the connection of the battery cables, make sure they are not loose? A loose connection could explain an intermittent problem.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
This just popped up today on the DIC. "Service Driver Assist System" followed by "LKA System Unavailable" and "ACC Temporarily Unavailable" when attempting to turn those on. Windshield and front Chevy emblem all clean/clear. Parking assist and auto parking systems still work.

Power cycled the car a few times, but no luck. Also let the car sit for a while before turning on, also no luck. I've had the car for less than a week so far. Not too happy with this. Taking a road trip next week and I need cruise control to work. I guess this is the price you pay for ACC: either it just works or no cruise control work at all.
Glad you got that working. I would not want to take a trip of any length anymore without ACC or similar system. Relaxing and less cognitive work to constantly speed up and slow down for traffic, mergers, construction, etc!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jcanoe: Yep, both battery terminals are clamped on super tight.

scottf200's: Agreed! I've only gotten a chance to use it over a few time so far, and it's worked well in all traffic conditions. I do wish that it would detect merging cars earlier to slow down earlier. From my experience so far, it doesn't detect a merging car until it's nearly fully in my lane of traffic. This is bad when driving in merging lanes or in heavy traffic where people tend to switch lanes, often at the last minute. Now if only LKA worked half as well :)

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
From my experience so far, [Volt ACC] doesn't detect a merging car until it's nearly fully in my lane of traffic. This is bad when driving in merging lanes or in heavy traffic where people tend to switch lanes, often at the last minute. Now if only LKA worked half as well :)
Yikes, sorry to hear that. That would be uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I’ve seen it once in a while. Seems like it happens when starting the car up on a hot day with the camera staring into the sun. The car rights itself after a few minutes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes! Today was a very hot day here in CA (mid 90's). However, the camera was not pointing into the sun. Based on where I park on my driveway, my house blocks the sunlight most of the day (except at midday, since the windshield is at an angle). But in my case, I did drive around for a bit (10 mins?) but it didn't fix itself. I think it worked again after parking for a few hours?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Glad you got that working. I would not want to take a trip of any length anymore without ACC or similar system. Relaxing and less cognitive work to constantly speed up and slow down for traffic, mergers, construction, etc!
And ultimately more dangerous simply because you're not paying as close attention to the road ahead of you. The time it takes to come back to full attention can be deadly.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
And ultimately more dangerous simply because you're not paying as close attention to the road ahead of you. The time it takes to come back to full attention can be deadly.
For a statistically irrelevant number that is true. :) FUD. Everyone that repeats this ad nauseam but that have no to zero experience. I have 30,000+ miles of driving on AP.

Look at the statistics and to the math on crashes COMPARED to daily crashes by drivers texting, talking on phone, dealing with kids, etc.

one billion, two hundred eighteen million, one hundred fifty-nine thousand, five hundred sixty-two

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Yes! Today was a very hot day here in CA (mid 90's). However, the camera was not pointing into the sun. Based on where I park on my driveway, my house blocks the sunlight most of the day (except at midday, since the windshield is at an angle). But in my case, I did drive around for a bit (10 mins?) but it didn't fix itself. I think it worked again after parking for a few hours?
Those kind of notices don't generally clear themselves while driving. They check at startup and then don't again while the car is awake. Not even necessarily on, but awake. It'll stay awake as long as Retained Power is on, and as long as it can "hear" a key fob in the vicinity, and then for several minutes after it can't. A ten minute walk AWAY from the car will let it snooze, and then it will do a more complete systems checks again when you come back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts