GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought our daughter a 2012 Volt last July. It had about 61K on it and it seemed in good condition. We were told all required servicing had been done. They replaced the charger that had a melted plug when I pointed it out to them and replaced a rear caliper that I found to be sticking. We turned down the offer of a service contract at the time of purchase that HAD to be bought right then and there. 5 months and 6K more now and I decided to look into a service contract( i know about the theory of putting the $$ in a bank and you'll likely come out ahead) and got some quotes. The complexity of the Voltec system and the Volt in general had me somewhat concerned.

I tried several dealers to get quotes and they ranged from $2700 3 years/36K to $3400 4 years/48K. I also inquired about having the coolant serviced as it was past the 5 years but not the 150K. Most estimates were $600-$700.

I went back to the dealer where we bought the car explaining the fact the car wasn't fully serviced as promised when we purchased it. Bottom line is they agreed to replace the coolant in all 3 systems for free and the 4 year 60K service contract cost $2997 which we purchased. It's the comprehensive one but doesn't include the traction or other battery otherwise the hybrid system is covered and the touch display etc. We feel we were treated fairly by MacMahon Chevy in Hyde Park VT.

I guess time will tell if it was worth it.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Sounds reasonable to me. I have opted for extended warranties on our volts, given the complexities. Some don’t think they are worth buying. I paid for two of the contracts; the third I got free after they had to replace the transmission before I received the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Keep an eye on the battery cooling tank after getting it back-- dealer may not have used the vacuum pump and level may drop due to air pockets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts