GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my car in for clicking noise when accelerating and braking, and they replaced axle nuts and cleaned something to correct the issue.

A few week later, a service brake assist and stabilitrak messages came on. The messages were turned off when the car was restarted and drove for a few seconds. A week later, the messages came on again and off again. However, I contacted Onstar when the messages were on and pulled the following codes:
C1225 An issue has been detected in the Traction Control System.
C0035 An issue has been detected in the Traction Control System.

Today, check engine light came on as well with the codes: C1221 and C0035. Check engine light stays on and a service brake assist and stabilitrak messages came on and off everyday with car lurching when those alerts turns on. The codes indicate that it is the left front Wheel Speed Sensors failure. However, I have noticed that the car whines when moving forward. No, it is different whining noise that Volt's normal electric motor makes. If it is wheel speed sensor failure then why whines? What gives? Could all these issues related to axle nuts repair?

I am taking the car to the dealer on Wendsday. However, I need to use this car tomorrow and concerned.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I would return to the dealer quickly! More than possible that something is dragging on the rotor and causing the noise. Maybe the connector to the sensor?

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
Unless the technician damaged something when repairing the axle nuts, it would not affect the traction control. It could simply be coincidental, especially given that the error messages happened weeks later. Have you tried inspecting the brakes?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Updates:

They found metallic debris stuck to the wheel speed sensor (Service bulletin #17-NA-047) and quoted me nearly $450 to remove it. I was expecting a wheel speed sensor replacement that will probably cost about $300. When I asked the service advisor on how could they charge more than $400 for an hour of labor? He breakdown $450 into following: $150 for diagnosis, $150 for cleaning right wheel speed sensor and $150 for cleaning left wheel speed sensor. WTF! The code I had were only for left front wheel sensor related, and they still want to charge me for diagnostic even if they are fixing it. After a little more talk, he offered $300 out the door. So, I had them fix it and took the car back.

However, I can't shake off the feeling that the technician who worked on the axle nuts did something wrong that caused whatever the problem I had. They are just covering up and charging me for it. Because the code I got from Onstar C0035, C1225, and C1221 are all related to the left front wheel speed sensor malfunction/failure. The bulletin they are referring to only deals with C0030 to C0050.
Also, DTC C0040 which is right front wheel code mysteriously appeared on my invoice that wasn't on OnStar diagnostic.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
A picture of the "metal debris" stuck to the sensor would be interesting. You have to wonder where the metal came from.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A picture of the "metal debris" stuck to the sensor would be interesting. You have to wonder where the metal came from.
Asking for a picture has never occurred to me. I should have asked for a picture of the wheel speed sensor with the debris.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts