GM Volt Forum banner

Service Battery Charging System DTCs P1F5A P1F59 P0D26 P0D09 P1EBD PIC6200 PIC6182

71887 Views 86 Replies 41 Participants Last post by  EV4Me-BK
Hi

I picked up a new 2016 Volt about 3 weeks ago as my DD ( I commute from about 80 miles per day from DC suburbs to downtown Baltimore ) and things were fine till this Monday. I was on Md Rt 97 going about 65-70 mph ( Hold Mode / ICE ) had about 16 mile of battery left when a got a warning to shift to PARK and pull off road; did so but the car died fast 10 sec or so. Called in to Onstar and arranged for Police pull in to set up a warning for other cars and they got me a flatbed to the nearest dealer ( took about 35 minutes total). During the wait time the car electronics progressive died until the emergency blinked did not work. The car was brick by the time the flatbed got to my location.

1) Did a bit googling and this problem seems endemic to electric cars that use DC to DC transformers to charge their 12V battery:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...ypical-according-to-tesla-service-tech.41006/

http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-.../2013-tesla-model-s-stuck-on-the-freeway.html

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=12448

Not sure why this is but these cars have a different duty cycle for the 12V than normal ICE cars ...

This seems very dangerous to me in that one has very little time to get off the road before shutdown..sort of like the key falling out of the ignition ..

2) My Volt is at the dealer being serviced.

Any other 2016/2017 Volts with same issues ?

As a note ..experienced car nut had 4 Corvettes & 2 BMW's .. 2 engineering degrees and retired from NASA now work in Bio IT .. Just seems bad engineering to have such a crap design ( Volt, Tesla, Leaf ) but maybe they all use the DC to DC converter..

Cheers
81 - 87 of 87 Posts

· Registered
265 Posts
Follow up: Dealer checked out 12 V battery and said everything was normal after the testing and recharge. They released the vehicle back to me.

A week later the car dies again in a parking lot after being parked for a few hours. Jumpstarted the car by connecting the battery terminals directly to the tow truck battery, as a portable jumpstarter would not do it.

Drove the car to the dealership the next day. They tested the battery again and everything came out fine after the recharge, and they released the car to me again. Couldn't replicate the issue.

Well... The car died (won't start) just I attempted to leave, right on the dealer lot! Now the problem was replicated right in front of them.

They called me a few days ago and told me that there was an issue with the wiring of the dealer-installed interior accessory lighting that causes some sort of drain on the battery. (They were the dealer who originally installed it, by the way.)

Today I found out that they need new cables and they won't be in until June 28. I'm stuck with the loaner Cruze until then, at least. Maybe longer.

I love my car and I want it back, fully operational. I hope this is it.

· Registered
265 Posts
Follow up: It's the Fourth of July and my Volt is still sitting at the dealer, awaiting parts. The ETA from GM for parts delivery changed from June 28 to simply "unknown."

Therefore I have no Volt to drive and the dealer has no idea when I'll get it back on the road. Yes, I'm still making payments on a car I can't drive that's now just collecting dust in the dealership parking lot.

Has anyone successfully gotten GM to cover their car payment for the entire time it's been out of service?

· Registered
41 Posts
I had the same issue with the blown 15A fuse in BDU after 26k on my Volt 2016.
Service Battery Charging System message showed up along with steady red battery and check engine lights. The car could not charge. I thought it happened after starting and powering off Volt in quick succession. I accidentally hit Start button couple of times while being parked. This thread suggest blown fuse being a random event.
I managed to drive ~40 miles in this state before I could get to a dealer. Thanks God, the dealer was able to take the car without an appointment, had the fuse and was able to replace it on same day.
Codes found P0D26, P0D09, P1F5A and PIF59. The tech followed PIC6200A and found 15A with an open circuit. The vehicle started accepting a charge to the main battery and started charging 12v battery on its own after replacing the fuse.

· Registered
175 Posts
Service Battery Charging System DTCs P1F5A P1F59 P0D26 P0D09 P1EBD PIC6200 PIC6182

An official preliminary bulletin # PIC6200 has been released to address the condition of a blown 15A OBCM fuse located in the Battery Disconnect Unit (BDU) - (formerly known as the relay/junction block in Gen1)

The symptoms include:

Vehicle not charging 12 volt battery.
 2. Unable to charge the HV battery.
 3. Dead 12V Battery and a "Service Battery Charging System" message
 4. Red 12V Battery Lamp always ON in IPC
 5. One or more of the following DTCs: P1F5A P1F59 P0D26 P0D09 P1EBD

In the repair instructions the dealer is advised to utilize PIC6182 in order to obtain the correct replacement fuse, and the faulty fuse (which may not physically appear as being blown) to be returned to the warranty parts center.

HTH
WOT

old thread i know. just wanted to say i have this exact issue and my car is out of warranty. if you have a way to lift the car this is a pretty easy fix at home.

disconnect negative lead on the 12volt battery.
pull the high voltage disconnect out of the council, no tools required.
lift the car. look at the front of the battery, you can see a small black cover near the top of of the battery. remove 4 screws and replace middle fuse. i am currently waiting on the fuse but i did find the middle 15amp fuse blown. new fuse was $7.

i just got this car. this is the first time i tried to charge it. i found the 12volt battery terminal just sitting on the battery, not tight at all. i am hoping this was the cause. i will report back in a week when i get the fuse. i did get to enjoy the car for the 200mile drive home and love it.

· Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,295 Posts
disconnect negative lead on the 12volt battery.
pull the high voltage disconnect out of the council, no tools required.
lift the car. look at the front of the battery, you can see a small black cover near the top of of the battery. remove 4 screws and replace middle fuse. i am currently waiting on the fuse but i did find the middle 15amp fuse blown. new fuse was $7.
What are the designations of the fuses?

· Registered
175 Posts
What are the designations of the fuses?
L6A06F is what was in there. I can’t find that fuse.
L5J22F is what I have coming and what I found mentioned when searching the subject.

edit: got the fuse, popped it in, put the fuse cover back on, put the high volt disc back in, hooked up the 12volt battery. Car turned on, no bad messages and the check engine light and battery light went off. I didn't have to reset any codes. the car now seems to be charging normally. I will update if I have any issues.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts