GM Volt Forum banner

Service Battery Charging System DTCs P1F5A P1F59 P0D26 P0D09 P1EBD PIC6200 PIC6182

71887 Views 86 Replies 41 Participants Last post by  EV4Me-BK
Hi

I picked up a new 2016 Volt about 3 weeks ago as my DD ( I commute from about 80 miles per day from DC suburbs to downtown Baltimore ) and things were fine till this Monday. I was on Md Rt 97 going about 65-70 mph ( Hold Mode / ICE ) had about 16 mile of battery left when a got a warning to shift to PARK and pull off road; did so but the car died fast 10 sec or so. Called in to Onstar and arranged for Police pull in to set up a warning for other cars and they got me a flatbed to the nearest dealer ( took about 35 minutes total). During the wait time the car electronics progressive died until the emergency blinked did not work. The car was brick by the time the flatbed got to my location.

1) Did a bit googling and this problem seems endemic to electric cars that use DC to DC transformers to charge their 12V battery:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...ypical-according-to-tesla-service-tech.41006/

http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-.../2013-tesla-model-s-stuck-on-the-freeway.html

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=12448

Not sure why this is but these cars have a different duty cycle for the 12V than normal ICE cars ...

This seems very dangerous to me in that one has very little time to get off the road before shutdown..sort of like the key falling out of the ignition ..

2) My Volt is at the dealer being serviced.

Any other 2016/2017 Volts with same issues ?

As a note ..experienced car nut had 4 Corvettes & 2 BMW's .. 2 engineering degrees and retired from NASA now work in Bio IT .. Just seems bad engineering to have such a crap design ( Volt, Tesla, Leaf ) but maybe they all use the DC to DC converter..

Cheers
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
My '17 manufacture date is 06/2016. Not sure if they know what's causing this issue or if they've fixed it. It was inconvenient but certainly doesn't change my mind about how much I love this car. I'd still purchase it again...and again :)

· Registered
22 Posts
2016 Volt - no start, "Service Charging System" TSB # 16-NA-193 battery connection

After a few initial hiccups due to poor factory final quality control, I have enjoyed my 2016 Volt LT, and put 20,000 miles on it in 9 months on my long commute. About 60% EV, 40% engine. No operating trouble at all, so I was confident in taking it on its first road trip, Baltimore to western KY and back again. I had not really used the Mountain Mode before and it climbed beautifully, no problems going out, but the return trip...At a rest stop in WV, I parked and turned it off, did my rest stop business, returned in barely 10 minutes, and then attempted to restart. Got "Service Charging System", battery indicator, no start. Then an electronic seizure where she just drained her last power, lights flickering and dimming, gibberish on the DIC. Got OnStar to get a a tow truck to me before all power was lost, total brick by now, but fortunately OnStar was able to follow up with a cell phone call. I am so glad those doors open from the inside when all power is lost, although you have to pull the handle twice.

The wrecker comes, I need to get it from park to neutral to get it aligned up to the flatbed, but can't do that unless you have some battery. So, we jump started it using his 12v power pack, connected at the engine terminals just like the manual says. Miraculous healing! DIC is back, engine starts, all is well. Towed it to a dealer in Charleston anyway, closed at 0 Dark Thirty by now. Got it off the flatbed and I start, stop, start it again several times with no problems, drives without trouble. I took the chance to drive it back to Baltimore, and made it.

So, reading and searching relevant posts here, it might be a bad 12v battery, or something in the 12v battery charging system. But has started/stopped again several times with no issues. Off to the dealer tomorrow. There are no error indicators on the DIC. Hopefully they won't tell me nothing is wrong. I feel a bit jilted. I got the Volt, rather than an EV, so I could drive out of state without worrying about battery range. Can I trust it now for long trips? Should I have bought that Prius V I was looking at?

And that tire "repair" kit... I swiped a curb on the same trip the day before (ok, not the car's fault) and lost one of my OEM Michelins immediately. Repair kit useless for a sidewall wound. Of course, everything is closed at night. Spent the night in rural KY and waited for Walmart to open Sunday morning...incredibly, they had the right size and put on a new Goodyear with the TPMS working and everything. I will likely get a spare. That's not the Volt's fault - the whole stupid car industry is trying to get rid of spares. We need a campaign to get the feds to enforce a must-have-spare tire requirement.

Maybe it was the Supermoon..

· Registered
162 Posts
I'd be willing to bet its a flaky connection at one of the battery terminals. I remember seeing a thread about it there being some misaligned terminals on the Gen2's. I had been meaning to check my car, but haven't got around to it yet

I lost a tire to the same fate with about 3k miles on my '16. Not the car's fault, but that doesn't make it less frustrating.

5,595 Posts
It does sound like a 12V battery/power related issue. When strange things start to happen, always try jumping the 12V battery first. Despite being a highly advanced car, like any other car, the 12V battery can haunt you. ;)

Honestly, they should do a better job displaying the 12V battery Voltage warning, and if that's low, a lot of the other stuff shouldn't be flagged. They should have some sort of priority checking in that looks at the 12V battery voltage profile first, so people know it's the 12V battery.

Instead, lots of errors flash since systems aren't starting up as intended when the 12V battery is low. Maybe my suggestion here is easier said than done.

· Administrator
23,463 Posts

· Registered
4,948 Posts
Some intermittent 12V charging issues on the Gen2 Volt have actually been traced back to a couple of potential issues. One being a bad cable connection at the underhood fuseblock (may be accompanied by DTCs P0AA1 P0AA4 U3001) See bulletin 16-NA-193

and the other a bad batch of high-voltage BUSS fuses right inside the battery itself and outlined in preliminary bulletin PIC6182

So you may need to ask your dealer to refer to 16-NA-193 and/or PIC6182

HTH
WOT

· Registered
22 Posts
Thanks, WOT. It was necessary for me to print out your message here, underline the service bulletin numbers, physically put them in the face of the "service representative" and then follow up over two days to insure they were done. Got my car back, and they claim they looked at both servcie bulletins, replaced a high voltage fuse and fixed a cable problem with the 12v battery. Crossing my fingers..

· Registered
6 Posts
So I found this thread after getting both the battery light on steadily and the "Service Charging System" light today. I've driven about two miles since it started, and have an appointment with dealership tomorrow. It also won't take the charge at my office charging station (after charging fine all morning this morning).

2017 Volt, 1500 miles, I've had it for about five weeks.

Should I be nervous about driving home after work today - about ten miles?

· Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, I'm new here. I'm leasing a 2017 Volt, just picked it up in late November. It has about 1500 miles on it. I've loved everything about it, until...yesterday, when the "Service Battery Charging System" indicator came on, along with the red battery light. Also, for the past few days my phone music hasn't played well on the infotainment system - it will say it's playing but there's no sound. Either restarting the phone or turning the car off/on resolves it.

I took it in this morning and am awaiting a call from the dealership. The guy said this morning that he thinks/hopes it's just a program update that's needed; he also said the issue with music not playing is not likely related to the battery and system charge indicators.

Finally, when I called Onstar yesterday after the lights first came on, they registered two issues: (1) charging system malfunction (as confirmed by the car's inability to take a charge when plugged in) and (2) a malfunction of the high voltage battery.

I'd love any thoughts. I'll update once I hear from the dealer this morning. Fingers crossed. I really want to continue loving this car!!

· Registered
6 Posts
Update: it was a blown fuse. Took two days to order a replacement from Tennessee. Once the fuse was replaced everything worked again. Glad to have the car back. The dealer said he's never replaced a fuse like this in a Volt, which I guess is a sign that it's rare (I hope).

Happy New Year!

· Registered
63 Posts
2017 Volt Premier - 8 months old, 6350 miles

May 9th - Noticed interference on screen when in reverse (backup camera)

May 11th - Wouldn't start in driveway, Shift to Park + Service Charging System msgs -> total system failure
Connecting jump box allowed it to start and get loaded on to tow truck. Disconnecting jump box = instant dealth

May 12th - Dealer says fixed. Blown fuse + performed recall on power inverter + reprogrammed.

May 16th - Picked up car. Seemed to operate normally, drove ~25 miles

May 17th - Backing up, noticed same interference on display. Only using backup camera.

May 18th - Same symptoms as May 11th. Weird msgs then total failure. Towed to dealer again.

I'll keep you posted.

· Registered
63 Posts
May 19th - Dealer called. Short in transmission shifter. Ordered this:

SPECIAL ORDER PART# DESCRIPTION QORD
GM13509998 CONTROL 1

· Registered
63 Posts
May 22nd - dealer email with the DTC's that were set:

PO562
P150D
P150E
P152D
P1ADE
P1AE0
P1B0D
P1F64
P19FF
P0513
P0A8D
P2400
P2401

P0AC4-P2509 AND P1A0C

· Registered
265 Posts
Just had my first issue with my Volt today. Car was parked in my garage, I was not charging it. Went to start it up, tried to put it in reverse, and that's when I got "Shift to Park," then "Service Battery Charging System," and then "Service Stabilitrak." I also have dash lights for check engine, battery (red), and parking brake service. My windows were rolled down when I initially parked it in the garage earlier today (it was a nice day, 73 degrees), so now I cannot roll them back up. Thankfully the car is in a secure garage! I'll need a tow to the dealer tomorrow morning. Hopefully Chevy's roadside assistance will cover the tow.

OnStar could not run a diagnostic. Their system failed to connect with the car. I think I'm likely facing a 12V issue as well...? Fuse? Bad battery? Bad connection somewhere? I hope it's not major and easily serviced. Only concern is that with Memorial Day coming up, I might lose an additional day of servicing. Hopefully I get a decent service loaner.

2016 Volt LT, build date Oct. 2015, 28,000 total miles (21,000 EV + 7,000 ICE).

· Registered
2,735 Posts
Sounds like you have a dead 12 volt battery for some reason. The first thing that I would do is try to jump start it at the under the hood terminals. If that doesn't work, then disconnect the 12 volt battery negative side (in case the 12v battery is shorted) and try the jump start again. If the car turns on and stays on after disconnecting the jumper battery, you just have a dead/bad 12 volt battery. If the Volt will not run without the jumper battery connected, then you may have a problem with the APM that supplies the 12 volts after the car is on.

· Registered
860 Posts
May 22nd - dealer email with the DTC's that were set:

PO562
P150D
P150E
P152D
P1ADE
P1AE0
P1B0D
P1F64
P19FF
P0513
P0A8D
P2400
P2401

P0AC4-P2509 AND P1A0C
Remind me tomorrow and I'll pull out the magic book that has descriptions of all of these...

· Registered
265 Posts
Tow truck driver thinks it's just a bad 12 Volt battery. Service advisor hasn't called me with the details yet. But, at least I got a really good service loaner: a brand-new 2017 Volt LT! I'm happy to be driving the same model car.

· Registered
63 Posts
May 23th - Picked up car and drove home (5 miles). No problems.
May 24th - Got a 'Battery Saver Active' msg and immediately knew things were still broken
May 25th - Car was dead in driveway again with all the same codes, lights and B.S. Towed to dealer for 3rd time in 2 weeks
May 26th - Dealer called. Said this time it was the power inverter and ordered a new one, 3-5 days. We'll see.

· Super Moderator
2012 Std w Nav
5,383 Posts
May 23th - Picked up car and drove home (5 miles). No problems.
May 24th - Got a 'Battery Saver Active' msg and immediately knew things were still broken
May 25th - Car was dead in driveway again with all the same codes, lights and B.S. Towed to dealer for 3rd time in 2 weeks
May 26th - Dealer called. Said this time it was the power inverter and ordered a new one, 3-5 days. We'll see.
The *inverter*? The thing that makes the high-voltage DC into high voltage AC for the drive motors? That inverter? I'm ... skeptical.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts