GM Volt Forum banner

Service Battery Charging System DTCs P1F5A P1F59 P0D26 P0D09 P1EBD PIC6200 PIC6182

71887 Views 86 Replies 41 Participants Last post by  EV4Me-BK
Hi

I picked up a new 2016 Volt about 3 weeks ago as my DD ( I commute from about 80 miles per day from DC suburbs to downtown Baltimore ) and things were fine till this Monday. I was on Md Rt 97 going about 65-70 mph ( Hold Mode / ICE ) had about 16 mile of battery left when a got a warning to shift to PARK and pull off road; did so but the car died fast 10 sec or so. Called in to Onstar and arranged for Police pull in to set up a warning for other cars and they got me a flatbed to the nearest dealer ( took about 35 minutes total). During the wait time the car electronics progressive died until the emergency blinked did not work. The car was brick by the time the flatbed got to my location.

1) Did a bit googling and this problem seems endemic to electric cars that use DC to DC transformers to charge their 12V battery:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...ypical-according-to-tesla-service-tech.41006/

http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-.../2013-tesla-model-s-stuck-on-the-freeway.html

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=12448

Not sure why this is but these cars have a different duty cycle for the 12V than normal ICE cars ...

This seems very dangerous to me in that one has very little time to get off the road before shutdown..sort of like the key falling out of the ignition ..

2) My Volt is at the dealer being serviced.

Any other 2016/2017 Volts with same issues ?

As a note ..experienced car nut had 4 Corvettes & 2 BMW's .. 2 engineering degrees and retired from NASA now work in Bio IT .. Just seems bad engineering to have such a crap design ( Volt, Tesla, Leaf ) but maybe they all use the DC to DC converter..

Cheers
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi Got the same problem after nine days I got the car 2017 volt premier with 1100km it stuck on the bridge at 5:15 am second of May 2016, got the same message to put to park.

the car was tow to the dealer and one of the cell died there is 60 cell in total, I couldn't start the car on the motor it died completly.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hi Got the same problem after nine days I got the car 2017 volt premier with 1100km it stuck on the bridge at 5:15 am second of May 2016, got the same message to put to park.

the car was tow to the dealer and one of the cell died there is 60 cell in total, I couldn't start the car on the motor it died completly.
Good luck with the repair ..my 2016 Volt has continued to work fine after the repair.. Thanks JBA Chevy ...

Cheers

· Registered
4,948 Posts

the car was tow to the dealer and one of the cell died there is 60 cell in total, I couldn't start the car on the motor it died completely.
There may be some confusion here that we would like to clarify. The other cars with this potential issue did not have any battery cell issues. (and there are actually 192 cells in the Gen2 pack not 60)
Please post a scan or digital photo of your copy of the work order your dealer gives you after the repairs.
Thanks
WOT

· Registered
4,948 Posts
Service Battery Charging System DTCs P1F5A P1F59 P0D26 P0D09 P1EBD PIC6200 PIC6182

An official preliminary bulletin # PIC6200 has been released to address the condition of a blown 15A OBCM fuse located in the Battery Disconnect Unit (BDU) - (formerly known as the relay/junction block in Gen1)

The symptoms include:

Vehicle not charging 12 volt battery.
 2. Unable to charge the HV battery.
 3. Dead 12V Battery and a "Service Battery Charging System" message
 4. Red 12V Battery Lamp always ON in IPC
 5. One or more of the following DTCs: P1F5A P1F59 P0D26 P0D09 P1EBD

In the repair instructions the dealer is advised to utilize PIC6182 in order to obtain the correct replacement fuse, and the faulty fuse (which may not physically appear as being blown) to be returned to the warranty parts center.

HTH
WOT

Attachments

· Registered
8 Posts
Funny enough, I was at the dealer for the Android Auto update today and either through technician error or random chance during the process I believe this fuse was blown. I heard the tech on the phone giving details to GM and I believe he referenced PIC6182 on the phone.

· Registered
4,948 Posts
Funny enough, I was at the dealer for the Android Auto update today and either through technician error or random chance during the process I believe this fuse was blown. I heard the tech on the phone giving details to GM and I believe he referenced PIC6182 on the phone.
Not likely if you had no issues, or warning lights/messages prior to the visit actually.
WOT

· Registered
56 Posts
I posted this in another thread, but here it is again.
Interestingly my lease was running out on my Ford Fusion Energi so we decided to get a Volt. Last week the car locked itself and we couldn't get in. We were about to call a tow truck when I was able to remotely start the car. We drove it to the dealer, but after that it was working. He checked the 12v and said it was okay. Today, no power again and it was towed back to Ford. We pick up our Volt Monday and there will be some interesting conversations when I turn the Fusion in right after that. You can't open the trunk to get at the battery when it's dead as there is no mechanical emergency release.

ChuckJ
I believe there is a mechanical system. Go inside the car and pry the plug off the back and you can open the rear door with a screwdriver.

Dale

· Registered
11 Posts
I use a cell phone charger, voltage meter for the 12 v battery, and inside temperature meter that plugs into the 12v plug under the radio. When the volt is running
the voltage reads 14.4 volts because of the converter sending a charge to the battery, but when the car is turned off the 12v battery is still sending juice to the radio and the 12v plug and the voltage drops to 12v. If this were to change to 11 or 10v I would know to replace the 12v battery. It also gives me two more cell phone charging points and the inside cabin temperature. Here is a link to where you can buy them on Amazon for as cheap as $3.00 if you look. www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SWGWILI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

· Registered
9 Posts
Not likely if you had no issues, or warning lights/messages prior to the visit actually.
WOT
Hi WOT, I've been reading through your posts on here and you seem to know your stuff. I am in the market for a 2017 Volt and was nervous about the recent reports of 'shift to park' errors with the Gen 2's. Frankly I was just hoping to get your take on it. Do these problems seem like they could be endemic after enough time, and a recall might be issued? Also, can you think of any good questions to ask the dealership prior to purchase? Thanks.

· Registered
5 Posts
Service Battery Charging System warning

So, I drove my 2017 LT with 3770 miles on it to pick up my son from his high school football game. Got there, powered down for about 30 seconds to 1 minute then powered back up. On normal start up I got a service engine light and a "Service Battery Charging System" warning, then noticed the AC was blowing hot and not cold anymore. :(

Drove home and tried to charge (to see if I could get it to reset), got a "Not Able To Charge" message on the infotainment center. Drove to service department and left the car (putting the keys in the key drop) overnight. Got a call the next morning from the service adviser who informed me that they were chasing a possible blown fuse on the battery pack. He advised he would call back when they knew more. An hour later that call came in...as they suspected, blown fuse, but it's not a normal fuse that's kept in stock. Will take two days to get the part and replace the fuse. They did offer a loaner which I took them up on. Will update more in a couple days when I see the service ticket and work performed.

Car Auto part Speedometer Vehicle Odometer

Technology Electronic device Electronics Multimedia Display device

· Administrator
23,464 Posts
Yes, there have been a few of these blown fuses reported in Gen2 Volts. Maybe the same as yours. What errors codes did OnStar or the dealer give you?

The fuse is are part of the main battery and they are supposed to be the kind of fuse that rarely blows, hence, no inventory. The fuses need to be taken from the assembly line apparently.

It is a bit odd that this issue has popped up on the forum a handful of times already. Like the 1000 year storm that is now comig every 10 years.

It also happened to me on my Gen1 at 5+ years, 70K miles (a similar but not the same fuse as Gen2). My symptoms were the car would only charge at 120V not 240V. I had to wait two weeks for the part. Two weeks seems to be normal (though not convenient) when a part is not in inventory.

· Registered
5 Posts
I didn't renew my subscription with OnStar after the trial. Not sure about codes from dealer, I'll ask when I go pick up the loaner on Monday.

· Administrator
23,464 Posts
Steverino, sounds like you blew one of the two fuses from the charger to the pack? Wonder if that's what the OP blew also.
Well, mine is a 2011 and different fuse (also referred to as a relay), but it may be that the OP's is the Gen2 version, yes. My part #023209396 and was $722!! The Gen2 fuses I'm thinking of are less than $30. But I had other things like the Battery Energy Control Module (and many seals) replaced as well. The battery had to be dropped and somewhat disassembled. All told, $1757 under warranty.

· Registered
1 Posts
This sounds similar to my situation. In my 2017 they replaced the battery, Part 24278473 (Fuse 2.211N), and part 12669908 (Module 3.670 Y). The car had 1500 miles and was down for 2 weeks waiing on parts delivery and diagnosis. I had to call OnStar on my cell phone, since the car was basically electrically dead.

· Registered
5 Posts
Here's the update! I got my Volt back today and the service ticket says: "Performed strategy based diagnosis and the 15 amp OBCM fuse is open. Preformed code diagnosis referring to PIC6200 doc. 4508524, replaced the 15 amp high voltage disconnect relay fuse referring to PIC6182A doc.4508613 & doc.4177883, performed smoke test, cleared the codes, initiated vehicle charge, road tested the vehicle and the system is operating as designed.

Job #1 QTY-1 FP-NUMBER: 24278473 DESCRIPTION- FUSE 2.211 N"

Also found this during my search for that part number: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ective-part-unusable-until-part-arrives/page6

All was covered under warranty, loaner car was an Impala, all in all - inconvenient but not horrible. Glad to have my Volt back! :)

· Registered
4,948 Posts
Here's the update! I got my Volt back today and the service ticket says: "Performed strategy based diagnosis and the 15 amp OBCM fuse is open. Preformed code diagnosis referring to PIC6200 doc. 4508524, replaced the 15 amp high voltage disconnect relay fuse referring to PIC6182A doc.4508613 & doc.4177883, performed smoke test, cleared the codes, initiated vehicle charge, road tested the vehicle and the system is operating as designed.

Job #1 QTY-1 FP-NUMBER: 24278473 DESCRIPTION- FUSE 2.211 N"

Also found this during my search for that part number: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ective-part-unusable-until-part-arrives/page6

All was covered under warranty, loaner car was an Impala, all in all - inconvenient but not horrible. Glad to have my Volt back! :)
Somehow I missed this thread, but glad they got you fixed up. I'm going to merge this with the "stickied" thread for this issue (and subsequent PIC bulletins)

WOT

· Registered
14 Posts
So would you say the factory has found out what is causing this and cars built now won't have this problem? I'd really like to buy a 2017, but am hesitant due to this problem. I rarely see VIN numbers in these posts to see if this is an early production problem that might now be gone.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts