GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Another one...

1 ) Humm ... Another one .. more on point ... http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?234258

2 ) Dealer called me today ..said it was an inline fuse ( whatever ) ..still waiting for getting one from GM .. so loaner for another few days.. When I get car back I will post info..

3) My cheap ass android cell phone told me tonight in plain English when the battery is getting ready to die; any 2016 car should do the same..it is not 1989 .. Don't have call Google to find out why an icon is illuminated..Just the tell me.

But note my 2016 Volt is a really nice car; ran well at speed on interstate in 65 -80 mph range; handled very well; much better than any front wheel drive car that I have driven..put about 900 miles on with no gas.. it was Car 2.0 .. Which is why I want it back..Just fix a few issues...

Cheers

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Well the only "inline" fuse I can think of is the manual service disconnect itself.
But that's a 350A fuse so if that blew there's gotta be a serious reason!
Hopefully it's just one of the fuses within the battery fuse block that connects to B+
Still they should be looking for a reason for ANY fuse that blows
A blown fuse is the resultant, not the root cause
WOT

·
Registered
68 Posts
I posted this in another thread, but here it is again.
Interestingly my lease was running out on my Ford Fusion Energi so we decided to get a Volt. Last week the car locked itself and we couldn't get in. We were about to call a tow truck when I was able to remotely start the car. We drove it to the dealer, but after that it was working. He checked the 12v and said it was okay. Today, no power again and it was towed back to Ford. We pick up our Volt Monday and there will be some interesting conversations when I turn the Fusion in right after that. You can't open the trunk to get at the battery when it's dead as there is no mechanical emergency release.

ChuckJ

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
676 Posts
Same thing happened to my car yesterday, see my blog on this. Still in shop because of the weekend. Hope to have it back next week.
Hi

I picked up a new 2016 Volt about 3 weeks ago as my DD ( I commute from about 80 miles per day from DC suburbs to downtown Baltimore ) and things were fine till this Monday. I was on Md Rt 97 going about 65-70 mph ( Hold Mode / ICE ) had about 16 mile of battery left when a got a warning to shift to PARK and pull off road; did so but the car died fast 10 sec or so. Called in to Onstar and arranged for Police pull in to set up a warning for other cars and they got me a flatbed to the nearest dealer ( took about 35 minutes total). During the wait time the car electronics progressive died until the emergency blinked did not work. The car was brick by the time the flatbed got to my location.

1) Did a bit googling and this problem seems endemic to electric cars that use DC to DC transformers to charge their 12V battery:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...ypical-according-to-tesla-service-tech.41006/

http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-.../2013-tesla-model-s-stuck-on-the-freeway.html

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=12448

Not sure why this is but these cars have a different duty cycle for the 12V than normal ICE cars ...

This seems very dangerous to me in that one has very little time to get off the road before shutdown..sort of like the key falling out of the ignition ..

2) My Volt is at the dealer being serviced.

Any other 2016/2017 Volts with same issues ?

As a note ..experienced car nut had 4 Corvettes & 2 BMW's .. 2 engineering degrees and retired from NASA now work in Bio IT .. Just seems bad engineering to have such a crap design ( Volt, Tesla, Leaf ) but maybe they all use the DC to DC converter..

Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update on Repair ...

Called dealer today.. Defective inline fuse .. will be ready on Tue...also getting Android Auto installed. We shall see !

Cheers

·
Registered
854 Posts
As I have been an Electronic Tech for about 40 years I have seen several defective fuses, usually the slow blow type.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Do they check other than open = blown!?:confused:
I've seen automotive spade fuses simply gain internal resistance. ESPECIALLY those cheap Chinese jobs that you can buy for a nickel. Identifying a resistive fuse as root-cause can be tricky even though some would say easy to find with voltage drop testing. But typically the fuse is initially removed for continuity testing and potentially not reinstalled to create a test point for the feed-side voltage drop tests, (or gets tested on the wrong side of the spade test points) and gets missed. Fun stuff.
WOT

PS> Still not sure that this "MAIN" fuse is...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
OnStar reports my car is back living .. Wooooo !

But third case of Put in Park ..reported post 30 by Ryan in Andy's thread ...

Will post dealer info when I pick up..see what fuse they replaced ..

Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Put in Park ..

On reflection I think the "Put in Park" message may just part an orderly shut down sequence when the computer cannot ascertain the car's state. Thus various prob's might trigger this message .. in my case the 12V battery was not being charged so it was gradually failings so sensors would fail etc. It was a gradual and logical shut down sequence that I saw over about 25 min as I sit on the curb. Thus, other malfunctions may trigger the same message..

Cheers

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
On reflection I think the "Put in Park" message may just part an orderly shut down sequence when the computer cannot ascertain the car's state. Thus various prob's might trigger this message .. in my case the 12V battery was not being charged so it was gradually failings so sensors would fail etc. It was a gradual and logical shut down sequence that I saw over about 25 min as I sit on the curb. Thus, other malfunctions may trigger the same message..

Cheers
While that may sound logical that is not within the GM published parameters for the delivery of that particular DIC message (which I believe to be actually "Shift to Park") which involves an attempt to shut down the car (pressing the POWER button) while the shifter mechanism is not being detected as being in PARK.
So either the GM Service Information system is stating incorrect, missing data, or there is something else going on with the car to create this message that is undocumented. However when 12V supply dips low, all sorts of strange things can occur so the apparently erroneous message could quite simply be the result of that occurrence.

I have also been reviewing the Power Distribution schematics in order to identify what the dealer has been calling a "MAIN" fuse, and the only fuse I can think of is the 200A Fuse #F6RB which is located within the 12V battery fuse assembly and completes the 12V charging circuit between the APM (14V Power Module) and the 12V battery positive terminal. This large 200A fuse is not serviced separately and would require the replacement of the X50D battery fuse assembly. Perhaps what is what is on order and their terminology (main fuse) is just a bit OFF.

Again, please keep is informed as to what your copy of the repair order states when you get the car back

WopOnTour

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yep it was Shift to Park... No put in Park. Dealer as said they were also replacing a 14v cable.. That would seem be consistent with the fuse you suggested..

Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Repair Info

Hi

Picked Volt here is the repair info: 1) High Voltage Battery Disconnect fuse replaced, 2) High Voltage Cable Wire End Connector replaced....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Put about 10 miles to work.. Level 2 charge..then 40 miles home .. All is fine so far. The repairs seems have worked so far.

Cheers

3,608 Posts
Hi texel-e,

Congratulations on your recent Volt purchase! We're elated to have you as a member of our Electrical Vehicle family. I understand how you may be feeling, as you do not expect problems to occur when purchasing a new vehicle. Thank you for contacting our team and giving us the opportunity to assist you.

If you would like our help, please email your VIN, mileage, full contact information and involved dealership to [email protected] with subject line ATTN: Volt.

Cheers,

Kayla K.
Chevrolet Customer Care

3,608 Posts
Hello Chuck,

As you posted this a week ago, I believe that means you're picking up your Volt today; how exciting! I just wanted to take a moment to let you know that our team is more than happy to help in anyway that we can. Should you encounter any complications, or require our assistance in the future, please feel free to email our team at [email protected] with subject line ATTN: Volt.

Kayla K.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Called dealer today.. Defective inline fuse .. will be ready on Tue...also getting Android Auto installed. We shall see !

Cheers
Wondering now if it might have been one of these contactor fuses in the front of the pack
WOT

Attachments

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Can we get an update on your car so far after the repairs please?
Any chance you could scan or photograph your copy of the work order and post it?
Thanks
WOT

21 - 40 of 86 Posts