GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Self sealing tires can and have been repaired.
Or, you just tell an uniformed consumer that it can't be done because you can then sell them a new tire...

I am outraged, with a strongly worded letter to follow. :p
Yes, you should not have to be a tire repair expert to avoid being fleeced by a tire repair shop. But some shops or mechanics are either uniformed or are simply dishonest. Sadly, your only protection is buyer beware and come knowing your stuff.

Steverino, thanks for the post on the Michelin steps to repair their self sealing tires. I did pass that info along to the shop. They said their experience had been mixed when following that procedure. And as a quality control issue, they had stopped doing repairs on self sealing tires. The video from Tech was very interesting, in that it showed in detail how to scrape off the goop before inserting the plug.

I also went back and looked at my owner's manual to see what it had to say about how to handle a leaking tire. To me, the manual is not clear about what equipment comes with the car to repair a leaking tire. A lot of "may have" statements. And no explicit guidance that the vehicle does not come with a tire pump to inflate a leaking tire.

"This vehicle may have self-sealing tires. These tires have a material inside that can seal punctures up to 6 mm (0.25 in) in the tread area. The tire may lose air pressure if the sidewall is damaged or the tread puncture is too large. If the Tire Pressure Monitor System indicates the tire pressure is low, inspect the tire for damage and inflate it to the recommended pressure."

"If this vehicle has a tire sealant and compressor kit, there may not be a spare tire or tire changing equipment, and on some vehicles there may not be a place to store a tire. The tire sealant and compressor can be used to temporarily seal punctures up to 6 mm (0.25 in) in the tread area Of the tire. It can also be used to inflate an underinflated tire. For vehicles with self-sealing tires, try to inflate the tire without sealant first."

Steverino, thanks for the post on the Michelin steps to repair their self sealing tires. I did pass that info along to the shop. They said their experience had been mixed when following that procedure. And as a quality control issue, they had stopped doing repairs on self sealing tires. The video from Tech was very interesting, in that it showed in detail how to scrape off the goop before inserting the plug.

I also went back and looked at my owner's manual to see what it had to say about how to handle a leaking tire. To me, the manual is not clear about what equipment comes with the car to repair a leaking tire. A lot of "may have" statements. And no explicit guidance that the vehicle does not come with a tire pump to inflate a leaking tire.

"This vehicle may have self-sealing tires. These tires have a material inside that can seal punctures up to 6 mm (0.25 in) in the tread area. The tire may lose air pressure if the sidewall is damaged or the tread puncture is too large. If the Tire Pressure Monitor System indicates the tire pressure is low, inspect the tire for damage and inflate it to the recommended pressure."

"If this vehicle has a tire sealant and compressor kit, there may not be a spare tire or tire changing equipment, and on some vehicles there may not be a place to store a tire. The tire sealant and compressor can be used to temporarily seal punctures up to 6 mm (0.25 in) in the tread area Of the tire. It can also be used to inflate an underinflated tire. For vehicles with self-sealing tires, try to inflate the tire without sealant first."
Sounds like a training issue at the tire shop.

The Owners Manual does have "may" used quite a bit. I can only guess this is a CYA in case the car is sold with variations depending on market. Also, some can be referencing optional trim levels. Nonetheless, if it says "may", that's a clue to check whether yours does or does not.

If it said "some cars may have $1000 in the cargo area", it's a safe bet people would look at least once, maybe two or three times. :)

My 2019 Bolt EV Premier came with the aforementioned self-sealing tires, an air pump and a canister of goop. The pump and canister are located in form-fitting pockets in the floor of the rear storage well.

KNS

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.