GM Volt Forum banner

Self-plugging Tires On The Bolt

19K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  kns 
#1 ·
According to GM, the Bolt's coming with Michelin self-plugging tires. Anyone know the size?

#2 ·
#4 ·
What is unclear is the lrr weight , weight rating, cost and model of tire.

How will we order an oem spec bolt tire versus a volt one?

#7 ·
It's an interesting decision...They replaced the tire inflator which is sprung weight for self sealing "goop" in the tires which is unsprung weight, aka the worst weight...

Pros: Odds increase of not having a flat (which sucks) and more cargo space...
Cons: Decreased range (don't know the penalty but 240 miles w/o gooped tires is realistic) and more expensive replacement tires...

I guess the bottom line is if you can avoid the inconvenience of pulling over for one flat tire it's totally worth it...

#10 ·
It's an interesting decision...They replaced the tire inflator which is sprung weight for self sealing "goop" in the tires which is unsprung weight, aka the worst weight...
You simplified the decision quite a bit. First, we don't know how much the self-sealant actually weighs. It might only be a few ounces, as opposed to the goop/pump that weighs a couple of pounds. Second, the goop wasn't that effective, and it often fouled the TPMS sensors. Third, removing the pump saves space, which people seem to be more critical of than anything else.

I think GM saw many more pros for this switch than you are acknowledging.

#8 ·
Do we really know that the self-sealing tires replaced the inflator?

Also, I don't think we can make any efficiency conclusions until we know how much more the self-sealing tires weigh than the standard Energy Savers.

#11 ·
That's an impressive video of the self sealing tires. But of all the tests they did, they never simulated the most common type of puncture where the nail stays imbedded in the tire.

Self sealing tires may be great, but what about people who run snow tires? They still need a way of dealing with a flat. And when you get sidewall damage, how hard is it to get the exact self sealing tire you need? Is the car towed to the shop for a week? That's more of a hassle than mounting a spare tire.

#13 ·
Would be an interesting poll six months after Bolt EV deliveries "Are you happy with self-sealing tires or would rather have a spare?"...An interesting note is every time you hit an imperfection in the road you have no idea if you got a puncture and it sealed or not...

On tire shortages, we have no idea, common wisdom are that they're tires, GM knows these can still puncture and is planning on stocking some...Also they should have them at the assembly plant...I have read a couple Volt where some part failed/broke and their service adviser told them they had to "pull the part from the assembly line" while there was one guy needed a specialty fuse which claimed it was backorder...

I'm just curious, can any tire shop install these tires or will it be GM (or even Chevy only) dealers only?

#15 ·
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Synthetic rubber

Here's a pic from the inside of the stock tires. Essentially, they've just taken the sticky stuff that makes up tire plugs and just smeared a layer of it all around the inside of the tread surface. Certainly doesn't help with sidewall or tread corner punctures, which is where the screws, nails, and rocks always find a way to hit my tires...

The weight of the stock no seasons was 3lbs heavier than my new Nokian winter tires, which have a decent amount of tread depth to them, suggesting the concern about unsprung weight is justified. As the majority will use these cars as commuter and not road trip cars, owners shouldn't be too far from humanity when the inevitable happens. I'll plan to keep a spare tire at home and have it brought to me if I need it, maybe just a cheap tire I can find on tire rack for example. No use pushing around an extra 3# per corner if it might well not even help.

#16 ·
I happened to be over on Tire Rack looking at this tire as a replacement and looked at the specs... It appears to add about 2 lbs per donut for the sealant over the OEM tire. Sounds about right considering the picture....

Anyone here have them and any experiences with the tire yet with regards to performance?

#18 ·
My experience today with the self sealing tires was not good. Took a screw through the tire tread yesterday. When I got the leak warning, 26 PSI, I pumped it up last night to 38 PSI, then did a hike in a local park today. Did not realize how bad the leak was. At end of hike today, found that the tire was down to 14 PSI. I did not realize the Bolt does not ship with a pump. Unlike my 2011 Volt. So was very surprised to discover I did not have a pump to inflate the tire. I was able to drive 5 miles down a mountain road to a gas station and inflate the tire.

I then took the tire to my local Goodyear store. They also sell Michelin. They said they can not repair a tire sold with the anti leak sealant. Can't place a plug against a surface coated with anti leak. So because of a screw puncture, I had to buy a new tire. And they said if I had a similar puncture, same exercise again; buy another tire. Before leaving the store, I purchased a 3 year service plan on all four of my tires.

I will also purchase a pump to put in the car to ensure I don't get stranded.

#20 ·
I then took the tire to my local Goodyear store. They also sell Michelin. They said they can not repair a tire sold with the anti leak sealant. Can't place a plug against a surface coated with anti leak. So because of a screw puncture, I had to buy a new tire. And they said if I had a similar puncture, same exercise again; buy another tire. Before leaving the store, I purchased a 3 year service plan on all four of my tires.
Self sealing tires can and have been repaired.

#19 · (Edited)
The puncture location and diameter of the object make a difference. Michelin claims up to ¼ diameter with a loss of less than 15 PSI per week. Of course punctures in the sidewall or close to the tread shoulder and bets are off.

Here are the Michelin SelfSeal repair instructions:
Text Font Document Line Parallel
Text Line Font Parallel Website
Text Line Font Parallel

I read the owner's manual and reviewed the cargo area when I bought the Bolt. So I knew it did not have a pump. I bought one at Harbor Freight to keep in the car:
Tire Torch Auto part

#24 ·
Steverino, thanks for the post on the Michelin steps to repair their self sealing tires. I did pass that info along to the shop. They said their experience had been mixed when following that procedure. And as a quality control issue, they had stopped doing repairs on self sealing tires. The video from Tech was very interesting, in that it showed in detail how to scrape off the goop before inserting the plug.

I also went back and looked at my owner's manual to see what it had to say about how to handle a leaking tire. To me, the manual is not clear about what equipment comes with the car to repair a leaking tire. A lot of "may have" statements. And no explicit guidance that the vehicle does not come with a tire pump to inflate a leaking tire.

"This vehicle may have self-sealing tires. These tires have a material inside that can seal punctures up to 6 mm (0.25 in) in the tread area. The tire may lose air pressure if the sidewall is damaged or the tread puncture is too large. If the Tire Pressure Monitor System indicates the tire pressure is low, inspect the tire for damage and inflate it to the recommended pressure."

"If this vehicle has a tire sealant and compressor kit, there may not be a spare tire or tire changing equipment, and on some vehicles there may not be a place to store a tire. The tire sealant and compressor can be used to temporarily seal punctures up to 6 mm (0.25 in) in the tread area Of the tire. It can also be used to inflate an underinflated tire. For vehicles with self-sealing tires, try to inflate the tire without sealant first."

#25 ·
Sounds like a training issue at the tire shop.

The Owners Manual does have "may" used quite a bit. I can only guess this is a CYA in case the car is sold with variations depending on market. Also, some can be referencing optional trim levels. Nonetheless, if it says "may", that's a clue to check whether yours does or does not.

If it said "some cars may have $1000 in the cargo area", it's a safe bet people would look at least once, maybe two or three times. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.