GM Volt Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

Registered
I have a new 2018 Volt with ACC and LKAS, I have OpenPilot installed and it is the best thing to happen to the Volt line.

It eliminates commute stress as it actively steers/brakes/accelerates on my daily commute.
Thanks for this post. I was wondering if OpenPilot really made driving on the highway any more relaxing. I was thinking one would be worried all the time that it would not work ... which really sounded more stressful than anything else.

Registered
Thanks for the offer. I just bought a new 2018 with ACC just for this reason. Love the car, but the Lane Keep function is useless the way it allows my car to drift.

Registered
GHanssen,

Are you saying that you implemented OpenPilot without the EON or NEO hardware or is it even
another software that you are using. What is it on your dash?

I am curious how you do that.

Any more details please.

Registered
Would this work on a car that doesn't have "active" lane keep assist, eg an ELR with radar cruise and lane departure warning that can see lines, but doesn't turn the steering wheel automatically?

-J

Registered
I installed workbench and as soon as I learn how to find and install a "fork", I will give it a try. Any help would be appreciated.
Were you ever able to get a fork installed and, if so, which one are you liking? Anyone looking for help might try https://medium.com/@jfrux/comma-eon-installing-a-fork-of-openpilot-5c2b5c134b4b. I went one day on the 'stock' software before installing Arne's fork.

I had been "nerding out" on this for a couple of months on this before installing mine on Monday. For anyone who is interested, unfortunately the GM Giraffe that made installing the hardware so straightforward is no longer being made by the guy who developed it. (I bought the last one! :D ) A new company is supposed to start producing them sometime soon but a patient person with skills and a soldering gun can work around it. (https://zoneos.com/volt/)

The 2019 Volt is still not supported (I think it is due to a gateway on the GMLAN so unless some motivated person has a breakthrough, it is not likely to be), the 2018 works but does not auto-resume from a stop, and the 2017 has auto-resume but cannot be engaged at 0 mph. I have a '17 and like the auto-resume A LOT!

For anyone thinking about trying this, I am in for about $1000 and that included $300 for the Giraffe (that replaces the stock ACSM), $199 for the grey Panda (that reads the bus and plugs into the OBDII port), and $499 for the EON (a modified OP3T cell phone that runs the software).
I find it has its pros and cons. Just off the top of my head:
- It is phenomenal on the highway but not so much on suburban roads,
- the ACC is not as good as stock,
- the steering "hunts" at lower speeds but is far superior at any speed to the (almost useless, IMO) stock LKA,
- unmarked or poorly marked roads make it unusable,
- and there is a learning curve. This is not "plug and play"!

Super Moderator
The 2019 Volt is still not supported (I think it is due to a gateway on the GMLAN so unless some motivated person has a breakthrough, it is not likely to be), the 2018 works but does not auto-resume from a stop, and the 2017 has auto-resume but cannot be engaged at 0 mph. I have a '17 and like the auto-resume A LOT!
Excellent post and summary. Auto-resume is a tremendous benefit. I use the equivalent on our Tesla all the time. At stoplights behind cars it is very handy too as you can check your stereo out or phone text and when the car ahead moves you immediately 'feel' it and can go which means you don't impede traffic at all.

I wish I had openpilot/autopilot on our Volts that I roadtripped with before the Tesla. So much more relaxing of a drive!

Registered
Were you ever able to get a fork installed and, if so, which one are you liking?
The only versions I have tried so, far were "kegman". Now on version 5.11 much improved. LKAS is excellent, but ACC still needs lots of work. Although the goal of Openpilot is to provide a greater degree of safety, it currently requires you to be on utmost alert as you have to pretend the car is being driven by a 3-year-old. It tends to throw up its hands in defeat too often and you have to jump in fast. It's improving (learning) all the time and that's the exciting part. I'll start to have more confidence when it begins to recognize that there's traffic up ahead and should learn to gradually slow down sooner rather than wait until the brakes are "needed". If you try to "help" it slow down, it disengages ("I'm outta here"), effectively letting the car speed up and leaves it to you to slow down harder. It's like I'm a driving instructor to a stubborn child. It'll get better. At least that's the goal.

Registered
I tried Kegman 0.5.11 for a couple of days but ended back on Arne 0.5.10 because I think it does a little better in stop & go traffic. The acceleration feels more aggressive but the steering seems to wander from side to side some in the lane as though it is hunting for the exact middle of the road. For me, stock ACC was the best for stop & go and I wish there was a way to easily flip back to it as needed. I am waiting for traffic to get a little lighter when school ends and I'll likely go back to Kegman. I did read about a dual-boot option that would allow selecting between two different installed forks at boot but don't know if I want to go through all of that.
I liked your analogy of this being like a child is driving the car! It is unfortunate that GM's decision to end the Volt will likely hamper it ever becoming the finished product it could be, at least for the Volt. There are some exciting things happening for other vehicles, including road sign recognition! This is new and something fun to play with but I'll likely go back to stock once the summer is over and just swap modules whenever we plan road trips. You can't beat it on highways!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts