GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
If ABS fails you better remember how to maintain directional control. Just pushing the pedal harder isn't the answer. Not sure what you mean about the steering. If the power assist fails, you can use more muscle. If the steering itself fails the best you can do is hope to stop safely.
And if an axle breaks you are also hosed. The decision tree can always be taken to the absurd.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
And if an axle breaks you are also hosed. The decision tree can always be taken to the absurd.
I'm not taking it to the absurd.

ABS is Anti-lock Braking System. If it stops working, the correct response isn't just press the brakes harder. That will lock up the wheels and further reduce the ability to control the vehicle direction. More effort is needed if you loose power assist in the brakes or steering. Loss of power assist is different than complete failure of the system.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts

ABS is Anti skid Braking System. If it stops working, the correct response isn't just press the brakes harder. That will lock up the wheels and further reduce the ability to control the vehicle direction. More effort is needed if you loose power assist in the brakes or steering. Loss of power assist is different than complete failure of the system.
I'm just suggesting that anything, or any system can break. And not all of them have any redundancy.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts

ABS is Anti skid Braking System. If it stops working, the correct response isn't just press the brakes harder. That will lock up the wheels and further reduce the ability to control the vehicle direction. More effort is needed if you loose power assist in the brakes or steering. Loss of power assist is different than complete failure of the system.
Argh. This is decades old technology. It's Anti-LOCK Braking System. And EXACTLY what it does is CURE the "lock up the wheels" you're talking about, by detecting when a wheel is not spinning and should be and releasing the brake on that one wheel for a fraction of a second to get it turning again.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Argh. This is decades old technology. It's Anti-LOCK Braking System. And EXACTLY what it does is CURE the "lock up the wheels" you're talking about, by detecting when a wheel is not spinning and should be and releasing the brake on that one wheel for a fraction of a second to get it turning again.

Yea, I already corrected the anti-skid to anti-lock. My point is if it's not working, the correct response isn't to push harder. That's for power assist failure or regeneration cut out. You need to pump or modulate the brakes to avoid wheel lock and keep steering ability.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm still not interested until the manufacturers integrate it. This is a phone driving your car, dangling from the windshield with user-soldered connections, "hacked" boards, and running on a custom OS (that could be worse than running it on an established OS, who knows?). I'm not that desperate. I still have working hands and feet... and still enjoy driving.

Mike

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
I'm still not interested until the manufacturers integrate it. This is a phone driving your car, dangling from the windshield with user-soldered connections, "hacked" boards, and running on a custom OS (that could be worse than running it on an established OS, who knows?). I'm not that desperate. I still have working hands and feet... and still enjoy driving.

Mike
I get it. I like to experiment with stuff that's less dangerous when/if it goes wrong.

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
Never had an axle break. Never seen a broken one reported here. What I have seen reported are software issues, computer issues, brake issues.

If safety is #1 for an AV, the redundant systems on my list would not be an axle or door hinge. It would be systems that control where the car goes and how it interacts with the world around it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The gen 2 Volt's "Lane Keep Assist" is far simpler than this. It's designed to nudge you into a lane if you leave. OpenPilot actively keeps you in the lane, including on turns, which was demonstrated in that video. There's a difference. It also maintains speed which Adaptive Cruise Control already does but for those of us who don't have that option, this may be a useful way to add it.

OpenPilot does not advertise "full autonomy" in that you don't have to pay attention and has intentional "override" for manual lane switching, turning, etc. It's supposedly, I don't use it, good for precisely what it advertises. The Volt has all the sensors and cameras you need to achieve what it's trying to do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
FYI,

I have a new 2018 Volt with ACC and LKAS, I have OpenPilot installed and it is the best thing to happen to the Volt line.

It eliminates commute stress as it actively steers/brakes/accelerates on my daily commute.

The hardware and software are not perfect, but they are damn good!

The install is simple, you need to bypass the onboard ASCM(Advance Safety Control Module) this is the unit responsible for
Adaptive Cruise Control and LKAS(Lane Keep Assist System) This will allow Open Pilot to take over for Lateral and Longitudinal
controls. OpenPilot does a much better job with these.

The project is ever evolving and there are hundreds of software and hardware engineers that are working to make OpenPilot
available on multiple car brands.

If you are interested in adding OpenPilot to your 2017 or later Chevy Volt please let me know, I am happy to share what I have learned.

G

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
The install is simple, you need to bypass the onboard ASCM(Advance Safety Control Module) this is the unit responsible for Adaptive Cruise Control and LKAS(Lane Keep Assist System) This will allow Open Pilot to take over for Lateral and Longitudinal controls. OpenPilot does a much better job with these.
Does this not throw out CEL/MIL codes?:confused:

Very cool project and hopefully there wouldn't be any possible legal issue ramifications with Volt's modified this way if an accident were to occur...

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
I have a new 2018 Volt with ACC and LKAS, I have OpenPilot installed and it is the best thing to happen to the Volt line.

It eliminates commute stress as it actively steers/brakes/accelerates on my daily commute.

The hardware and software are not perfect, but they are damn good!
Congrats on the new Volt and the new Level 2 driving system. That is excellent. I've followed comma.ai for quite a while. If our 2016 had ACC (came out a few months after we bought) then I likely would have tried this system as well. I pointed some of this out in this post above: https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthrea...ing-Volt-with-Openpilot&p=4350345#post4350345

I think you really need to drive in one of these good Level 2 autonomous systems (OpenPilot, AutoPilot) to see how much they help with the cognitive "work" of driving. I just did a 5500 mile roadtrip and used AutoPilot 95% of the time (thread in Tesla subforum).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does this not throw out CEL/MIL codes?:confused:

Very cool project and hopefully there wouldn't be any possible legal issue ramifications with Volt's modified this way if an accident were to occur...
The only MIL on the DIC is "Service Front Camera". This currently happens due to a small known bug. Once that's fixed, no more MILs. (We have unplugged the front camera connector to prevent it from interfering with Open Pilot, thus the car throws that error.)

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
There have been a few threads on giving Volts Level 2 "AutoPilot".
Of note: Handling a steep turn: 9:45 & Stop-and-go traffic: 26:50
Sound is not great but that is not really the point of the video as you want to see how it drives.
Just like other systems IMO you should *always* keep your hand(s) on the wheel even if lightly.
Then even if glancing down at radio, off to the side, in the mirrors... you can immediately feel the car doing something that your subconscious processing tells you is not right.

YouTube Desc:
Vasily Tarasov Published on Oct 1, 2018Openpilot from http://comma.ai driving my 2017 Chevy Volt Premier with Adaptive Cruise Control package.

Handling a steep turn: 9:45
Stop-and-go traffic: 26:50

Project page and the installation guide: https://zoneos.com/volt/
Order GM Giraffe at https://zoneos.com/shop/
Support & community: #gm channel at https://comma.slack.com

·
Registered
49 Posts
The hardware is on sale at comma.ai for 15% off. Thinking about biting the bullet. Any other users out there?

·
Registered
32 Posts
FYI,
G
I just installed Openpilot on my 2017 Volt and have only tested it for a week now. ACC is far worse than factory, but LKAS is much improved. I have 40 years of programming in OS/390 assembler, working with OS/2, and all versions of Windows but, the lingo of those involved with this project are foreign to me. I'm having a hard time navigating "discord" for information.
I installed workbench and as soon as I learn how to find and install a "fork", I will give it a try. Any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
Gary

A friend of mine is a beta tester for Tesla and the stuff his Model 3 can do is beyond amazing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The biggest hurdle to fully autonomous driving cars is accounting for the rest of the dumbasses on the road. Most of the collisions involving self driving vehicles are caused by stupid human drivers. It'll be safer when all cars are self driving

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 48 Posts