GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else think that cars driving autonomously should have some sort of visible marking/light so that those around them are aware that the car is being computer controlled?

I don't trust them yet and I think for the time being, we should be able determine if a car that we are sharing the road with is being driven autonomously. Also, as a pedestrian, I make sure I make eye contact with a slowing car's driver before going across the crosswalk.

I think a Knight Rider-esque oscillating led light strip would work great.

Just a thought

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Just my 2c USD... No car and/or driver, whether driven autonomously or manually, should be trusted. Always drive defensively and give plenty of space.

Personally, I'd have a concern with other drivers knowing that my car is driving itself. My issue would be that having special lighting that indicates the car is running autonomously, is a big 'ol welcome sign to anybody that would "bully" the car. See this article for discussion.

And perhaps even worse, sooner or later, some smart-a55 pedestrian is going to try to jump out in front of an ostensibly self-driving car, strictly for the fun of making it slam on its brakes... and the car is going to fail to stop in time. Hilarity ensues. As well as possibly lawsuits, wheelchairs and/or coffins.

For that reason, I'd just as soon my car did NOT telegraph the fact that it's driving itself.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, there will probably be 360 degree video coverage of the car so any bullying would be caught on "tape". And in Russia, you don't need an autonomous vehicle for people to jump out in front of the car.

I don't trust any driver, but, as a pedestrian, I can see if the driver is paying attention and not looking at their phone before I put myself in a compromising position. I can't tell if an autonomous car can see me or not so I would prefer to stay out of its way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts