GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, just purchased a used 2017 Volt (Toronto, Canada). First post to the forum.

I'm trying to track down a home level 2 charger that has the following abilities.
- Plug for 6-30 socket (but I'm sure I can get adapter right?)
- I need to calculate at the end of each month the cost on a time-of-use bill so I can pay the landlord. I'm thinking it would be through a phone app?
- I'd like to setup charging rules so I default to charge on off peak hours, but if I need to force charge because I'm home in the afternoon and leaving I can
- I have a 100 amp box - is it possible to decrease the amperage so it doesn't go to the max 16?
- internet enabled.

Any other thoughts people have on this would be greatly appreciated. I had called chargepoint and flo today and they weren't very helpful confirming if any of their chargers could do this.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Look for a EVSE that tracks the amount of power it supplies to the car.

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts
Ur, just agree on an amount based on electric cost and normal use, plus a little extra.

·
Super Moderator
6,434 Posts
- I have a 100 amp box - is it possible to decrease the amperage so it doesn't go to the max 16?
The car tells the charger how many kW (amps*volts) it wants. With the supplied charger you can change the amps from 12a to 8a ... but I don't recall when I charge on our Blink 240v charger if I can lower it from the max (16a 3.6kw). Not sure why you want to unless you don't trust the plug wiring .... still it is a 30amp plug!! so drawing 16amp is nothing.

You definitely can buy adapters. I have 4 that I carry in my Tesla that all go to a NEMA 14-50 (think RV plug).

I just bought the NEMA 6-30 one below a few weeks back for a summer roadtrip and that is the plug an old friend we are staying at has for his air compressor.
Via: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZHLFR7W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Look at a Juicebox, it connects to WiFI and their app records how much electricity you've used.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Hi All, just purchased a used 2017 Volt (Toronto, Canada). First post to the forum.

I'm trying to track down a home level 2 charger that has the following abilities.
- I need to calculate at the end of each month the cost on a time-of-use bill so I can pay the landlord. I'm thinking it would be through a phone app?
- I'd like to setup charging rules so I default to charge on off peak hours, but if I need to force charge because I'm home in the afternoon and leaving I can
- internet enabled.

Any other thoughts people have on this would be greatly appreciated. I had called chargepoint and flo today and they weren't very helpful confirming if any of their chargers could do this.
When you charge the Volt using 240V the amperage is automatically set for the maximum (16 amps for the 2017 Volt) for charging at 3.6kW. When you charge using 120V you can select 8 amps (the default) or 12 amps.

Obtain a copy of the 2017 Volt Owner's Manual to become familiar with the time of use charging settings. You can also set delayed charging (to complete as late as possible for your planned departure time) Delayed charging may be all that you need as the more complicated set up for the time of use charging requires you to enter your time of use rates for electricity and the peak, mid peak and off peak times. You can temporarily override the delayed charging settings so the Volt starts charging immediately when you plug in to charge. If you have a time of use plan you will want to charge at the 240V/16 amp rate; charging at 120 (even using the 12 amp setting) would probably take too long to be completed within your off-peak window.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I use a Clipper Creek, plug it in and forget it, works great. It doesn't have an app or track use but you can get that from myChevrolet (when it works). It usually is 15 kWhs for a charge from empty. So with my off-peak electricity at night (.07/kWh), pretty easy to figure out the cost per charge.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Enel X Juicebox Pro 40 meets all of your requirements. I believe they also sell a plug adapter pack as an accessory.

- internet enabled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts