GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an FYI, I have been noticing reduced range and a lot of discoloration on both of my rear calipers over the last 2-3 months. I decided to check the caliper slide pins, to make sure that they moved easily. To my surprise, the lower pin on both sides was completely seized in the bracket. They were rust/ burnt grease locked and required a vice to remove. I ended up cleaning/ sanding both the pin and the socket in an effort to remove the rust. I was able to get both to a satisfactory level after an hour or so of work.

Just a heads up to check/ lubricate the pins often!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I guess one of the potential problems with EVs is brake problems due to corrosion from the lack of use caused by regenerative braking. I Guess we should make a point of exercising the brakes whenever we can. Wonder if pressing the brake pedal down hard when stopped would make a difference?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
...Just a heads up to check/ lubricate the pins often!
This is so true!
We can wait until the cows come home to do this at pad replacement time, only these cars don't use the pads much.

I need to do this before winter on my 3 yr old Chevy BEV. All four corners.

I have a bank courier friend with over 500k miles on one of his Prii.
Mostly highway driving so he doesn't change pads often but has learned that the slider pins get sticky and NEED routine servicing.

It's not that hard to do... use plenty of the proper grease after a thorough cleaning.

·
Registered
22 Posts
spartan_msu:

Could you post a short description and/or photos detailing the procedure for removing the caliper slides? I've had 'sticky' rear brakes since the first year driving my Volt (it's almost five years old now), and despite having GM dealerships check the brakes each time I go in for maintenance they've allegedly never found a problem. (But they also failed to wash my car the last time I was in, even though that's all they were supposed to do besides re-torquing the lug nuts - so I don't have tremendous faith in them.)

Particularly, I'm curious to know what kind of tools are needed, and whether the car will need to be jacked up, or if it's possible to do without raising the vehicle?

I did replace the pads on a Nissan Altima years ago, but I've pretty much completely forgotten that procedure now....

·
Registered
73 Posts
I thinking of getting the brakes serviced every 2 years (disassembled and everything re lubed) . Has anyone come up with a good brake service interval that works or has done it.

Cheers,
Tross

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I thinking of getting the brakes serviced every 2 years (disassembled and everything re lubed) . Has anyone come up with a good brake service interval that works or has done it.

Cheers,
Tross
Are you in the salt belt? I am and service my brakes every year in the fall.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
spartan_msu:

Could you post a short description and/or photos detailing the procedure for removing the caliper slides? I've had 'sticky' rear brakes since the first year driving my Volt (it's almost five years old now), and despite having GM dealerships check the brakes each time I go in for maintenance they've allegedly never found a problem. (But they also failed to wash my car the last time I was in, even though that's all they were supposed to do besides re-torquing the lug nuts - so I don't have tremendous faith in them.)

Particularly, I'm curious to know what kind of tools are needed, and whether the car will need to be jacked up, or if it's possible to do without raising the vehicle?

I did replace the pads on a Nissan Altima years ago, but I've pretty much completely forgotten that procedure now....
Very easy to do, with a few hand tools. Once you have the wheel off, I removed the caliper from the hub (15mm), then removed the bolts keeping the slide pins in (10mm and 13mm wrenches). From that point you remove the slide pins, clean, lube and replace everything. If mine were totally seized it would have been a 15 minute job per side.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Is this part of any of the scheduled maintenance? I'm due for 60k on my '12.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
My dealer did this do me as recommended service at about 25k km. @ $95 per axle which is expensive. I am going to start doing it each spring when I put my summer tires on as the wheel is already off and it is just a bit of extra work.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
My dealer did this do me as recommended service at about 25k km. @ $95 per axle which is expensive. I am going to start doing it each spring when I put my summer tires on as the wheel is already off and it is just a bit of extra work.
I've been getting mine done every second spring tire change, when I also have the oil changed, but I think it may not be quite enough.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Would sticking pins cause a clicking sound when going from stops to starts and vice versa? We've had the dealer try to locate the source of the sound, but they didn't know what it was and told us it wouldn't hurt anything. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I had front calipers that were rattling when I hit slight bumps. I cleaned them up and lubed the pins and the rattles are gone.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Would sticking pins cause a clicking sound when going from stops to starts and vice versa? We've had the dealer try to locate the source of the sound, but they didn't know what it was and told us it wouldn't hurt anything. Thanks.
Find a new dealer. It’s about the most common problem across the GM fwd line. You need new axle nuts and washers.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
It could be, yes. That was the source of mine. Axle nuts were tight and to spec.
Service your brakes every 2 years, minimum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts