GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been working on a video for my youtube channel on the 2017 Volt for almost 2 months now. I've filmed all of the really hard parts now, so I'm hoping to finish all of the remaining scenes by this weekend. I have a 75% finished video I want to share with the users of this forum before releasing it to the world. With the popularity of my channel, this will be seen by at least 250,000 people the first week I release it, and then who knows how many times after that as people search for information on this car. As such, I'd like to make it as good as possible. So at this stage in editing there is still time to fix any problems. So before you open the link, be aware this video is in a very rough stage of editing. There are a lot of black scenes with my voice in the background. Most of these sections will be replaced this weekend with live video of me saying the exact same thing, only inside the car or standing beside the car. So you'll just have to use your imagination as you listen to those. Many people are surprised to find that the last scenes I film are always the ones with me talking to the camera. There are also a few scenes that may not make 100% sense because there is some narration missing, and there are a few scenes where I just haven't filmed the section or created the artwork.

So.. I'm not really looking for critique on the editing, sound, etc. Much of that will improve before the final release. What I AM looking for is any incorrect information I have given, spelling mistakes, etc. But also perhaps better ways of stating the information and getting my point across. Obviously some scenes are "locked in" at this point. But much of it can be changed before this weekend. So I await your critique..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_AEStjkTwQ

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Great job! I would consider rewording about needing a reason to burn fuel to keep the gas from going stale. We all know the Volt won't allow it, but a general audience will not ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I really liked your video and it will help people decide about the Volt. I would slip in somewhere if you could the fact that it is a hatchback and with the seats folded down it has tons of space as that is a big difference from the Tesla. Otherwise a great story.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Just a few casual thoughts, take them with a shaker of salt <grin>

Second electric run, not enough time to read the ticket though you do address the numbers later.

"Fast" vs "Quick". The Volt is actually fairly "quick" to get off the line, but it is not a "fast" car overall, but most owners think it's "fast enough" and it sure will get out of it's own way!

Thank you for the Logan's Run shout out... that was my first thought when I saw the water garden.

Please be clear that the "range meter" is an estimate and fluctuates depending on your driving style. People get so very confused about the "guess-o-meter". If you want real and accurate numbers you need to look at the KW screen.

I think it would be helpful to show the traction motor and clearly tell people that the only thing that moves the car is the traction motor but that the electricity to run the traction motors can come from either (or both) of two sources, the battery pack, or the gasoline powered Generator/Range Extender.

Also during your long trip I'm sure you had plenty of regeneration happening in that stop and start traffic. Let people know that is energy BACK into the battery, not just lost in heating up the brake pads. You can also explain that slowing down uses the traction motor and saves a LOT of wear and tear on the physical brake pads.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually.. I already filmed a small section of me loading up the hatch at Sam's... So that will be in the final cut. Great minds thing alike.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great job! I would consider rewording about needing a reason to burn fuel to keep the gas from going stale. We all know the Volt won't allow it, but a general audience will not ;)
I had already thought about that. But unfortunately what I'm running up against now is the video being too long. And I felt like if I explained that in further detail it would add too much time. If I do wind up explaining that, my point will be that the Volt's going to force you to burn some of it anyway to keep it from going stale, so you might as well not try to avoid gas usage 100%.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Consider informing the viewer about the temperature dependence of the Volt's electric range. I noticed that when you were driving from Fort Worth to Dallas, the ambient temperature was 81 degF, on your center display. I live in the Pacific NW, and in the winter, with temperatures in the 30's my max EV range is about 48 miles, as shown on the driver's display, whereas if the ambient temperature is in the 70's and above, the displayed max EV range is as high as 65-69 miles.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
You could eliminate the first EV run without the time ticket to shorten the Video for other info.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Thank you for your contrbution to the cause, very nice review all around :)

One small thing at the beginning, is I like to avoid saying the car can "run either on electric or gasoline", as I think it is what makes people confuse it with a Prius.

I prefer to say, this is a full electric cars that can make its own electricity when the battery runs out, so you never have to worry about range or charging stations.

I think it better reflects the unique EREV nature of the volt.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Consider informing the viewer about the temperature dependence of the Volt's electric range. I noticed that when you were driving from Fort Worth to Dallas, the ambient temperature was 81 degF, on your center display. I live in the Pacific NW, and in the winter, with temperatures in the 30's my max EV range is about 48 miles, as shown on the driver's display, whereas if the ambient temperature is in the 70's and above, the displayed max EV range is as high as 65-69 miles.
I would emphasize that the EPA rating is a year round average - not an absolute max. Many people can and will exceed the rating on regular driving much of the year. But conversely, those in cold climates will see less in the winter (just like any car, YMMV)

A lot of people seem to take the rating as max and say "it won't work for me, I'll be burning gas every day because I drive a bit more than that"
When in reality, they may be pure EV for probably 6-8 months of the year when above the rating and only be using gas during the colder months.
One small thing at the beginning, is I like to avoid saying the car can "run either on electric or gasoline", as I think it is what makes people confuse it with a Prius.

I prefer to say, this is a full electric cars that can make its own electricity when the battery runs out, so you never have to worry about range or charging stations.

I think it better reflects the unique EREV nature of the volt.
I like to explain it that older hybrids are gasoline first, electric second. The electric helps the gas engine go,
While volt is electric first, gas second. The gas engine helps the electric go (when needed - which is only when battery is dead or you manually engage it)
In theory, the volt could happily run if you ripped the entire ICE out (provided you have battery charge). A prius could not.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I second the suggestion about mention of regen, but don't even try to explain paddle vs. footbrake, etc. KIS_. Finally, lot's of Facebook users ride bikes, as I do. Before I bought my first Volt I carefully measured to make sure the bike with front wheel off would fit. Consider showing you loading a bike... or two large dogs..... in back.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
An excellent presentation. Perhaps you could better clarify Misconception #2: The Volt is just an electric car that can only drive 53 miles before stranding you.

The Volt does not run out of battery and switch to gas. When the battery runs out, a gas generator under the hood starts up and creates more electricity. The "seamless transition to gas" is because the electric motor never stops pushing the car down the road! As the battery runs out, the electric motor is, in effect, unplugged from the battery and plugged into the generator’s output.

Explaining the two sources as a battery (which is refilled when you plug the car into the electric socket at home or elsewhere) and a gas generator (which can be refueled as rapidly as any ICE car on long trips) also explains the center screen’s "Electric Miles and Gas Miles" display. Electric Miles are miles driven when using the stored battery power (this allows you to compare your AER and kWh/mile stats with other electric cars). Gas Miles are miles driven when using the gas-generated electricity. Regeneration puts power back into the battery. When you use it, it counts as Electric miles if it was put into the battery when driving on battery power, or as Gas miles if put into the battery when driving on gas-generated power (in Hold mode or with fully depleted battery).

·
Registered
638 Posts
Excellent video, looking forward to seeing the final cut. Please share it with the forum. I can see why you have such a large following...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's an update.. I added quite a bit of footage this evening. I am definitely on track to having this completed by this weekend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_AEStjkTwQ

Unfortunately, I'm not super thrilled with the quality of the lavalier microphone that I bought. I normally do my recording in my studio so I haven't had to worry about recording audio out and about before. So this is the first time for me to use it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Cool video -- very cool to see you are local to DFW as well. I'm in Grand Prairie, just south of the DFW airport. 2017 volt is on order (went through Buzz Smith at classic Chevy in Grapvine) Hoping to have it in the next two weeks, current status code 3400 :)

I enjoyed your electric range test because it was cool seeing all the things in my area on your clip. Funny enough too when your volt switched over to gas mode, that's literally a stones throw from my house (i'm right off 161 and I30)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Nice work on the review of the Volt, Generation 2. I have the 2013 Volt and my lifetime average is now 160 MPG. I use two to four gallons of gasoline per month. You could probably mention something about likely gasoline consumption as well. I am planning to explore remote regions of the Northern Rocky Mountains this summer, reducing my fuel economy. There are very few charging stations from Central Colorado to Alberta Canada. Hey, please suggest that legislation can promote the transition from gasoline power to electric power in transportation to save as much as one-third of total energy consumption in society. An example is the refusal of my homeowner association to allow me to charge my electric Volt at the electrical outlets in my condominium building. The law should require reasonable accommodation for electric charging in multi-unit housing complexes. The electric motor has an efficiency of somewhere around 90%, while the internal combustion engine is generally around 33% energy efficient, like the difference between a incandescent light bulb compared to a compact fluorescent light bulb.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I wanted to. But of the 3 times I went down the track, it's the only time I BEAT somebody. So I thought that was important to show. :)
A little editing trickery should make it appear that both runs were one run, shortening the video, and getting the same points across.
(Use the sound from the first run, and some of the video at opportune moments, should work)

Simply not mentioning fuel going stale will not detract from the story. Anyone that involved in the consideration of a Volt is prolly already convinced enough, and if not, that detail won't likely sway them either way.

I prefer to think of the battery as, 'reaching its low threshold', as opposed to, 'running out', it sounds less negative, and helps people understand the efforts GM went to, to preserve the battery longevity. I don't know how to word this more simply for your presentation, and I'm prolly too late for your deadline anyway.

Good luck, thanks for what is turning out to be a great informative video.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Great job, and really a fun watch.

My $0.02:

1.) If you use the provided charge cord at 240v via an adapter, the charging will be limited to 12 amps - just like at 120v. A higher power EVSE would allow the max of 15 amps to be achieved. On your chart at 12:54, you might also want to add a column showing charging in "miles per hour". (E.g., 120v 8a is roughly 4 miles/hour, 120v 12a is about 6 miles/hour, 240v 12a is about 12 miles/hour, 240 15a is about 15 miles/hour).

2.) State that the illuminated charge port is optional, not standard. For cars that don't have, it is easy to retrofit after the fact.

3.) A downside to the Volt is that your 6'5" friend would need to shrink about 6" to fit in the back seat. The video should have a view and some commentary on the rear seating.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts