GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorting through options as I look to purchase a charger for my new Volt. Right now I'm thinking L1 since I lease and don't want to upgrade wiring here, but that's an open question right now.

I had found somewhere online a chart comparing EVSE features. Can't find it anymore. And I think it was rather old. Does anyone know of any of these out there? It would be nice to compare features, e.g., weatherproof for outdoor use, has a light feature (for those of us who didn't spring for the lighted charging port!), dual voltage... You get the idea. I'd love to find something that is up to date.

Failing that, I'd love recommendations on those with lighted connectors. I'd get a Clipper Creek and be done with it (even with no lighting), but they don't have a portable 16amp L1, and since I'm on a 20 amp circuit, I want to take advantage of that.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I'm sorting through options as I look to purchase a charger for my new Volt. Right now I'm thinking L1 since I lease and don't want to upgrade wiring here, but that's an open question right now.

I had found somewhere online a chart comparing EVSE features. Can't find it anymore. And I think it was rather old. Does anyone know of any of these out there? It would be nice to compare features, e.g., weatherproof for outdoor use, has a light feature (for those of us who didn't spring for the lighted charging port!), dual voltage... You get the idea. I'd love to find something that is up to date.

Failing that, I'd love recommendations on those with lighted connectors. I'd get a Clipper Creek and be done with it (even with no lighting), but they don't have a portable 16amp L1, and since I'm on a 20 amp circuit, I want to take advantage of that.
What is your budget?

Also, if the 20 amp circuit is a dedicated circuit (only the one receptacle) an electrician can easily rewire the existing 120V/20 amp circuit to be a 240V/20 amp circuit so you can charge at 240V and 16 amps maximum. That would allow you to use a Level 2 EVSE.

You may be able to use the Original Equipment (OE) EVSE that came with the Volt with an adapter power cable at charge at 240V and 12 amps depending on the specific model of EVSE that came with the Volt. (Note that using the OE Level 1 EVSE that comes with the Gen 2 Volt with an adapter power cord pigtail is not recommended by GM but many have done this with no issue. You would still be limited to a maximum of 12 amps instead of 16 amps that would be supported with Level 2 EVSE rated for use on a 20 amp circuit.)

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
If you decide to install or upgrade to a 240V circuit, one rated for at least 20 amps, then you can look at Level 2 EVSE from the following companies:

ClipperCreek
Chargepoint
Juicebox
Siemens
AmazingE
Duosida

The things that are important to one buyer may not matter to another. I value the company reputation for standing behind their product, the product warranty (longer is better.) Some EVSE support Wi-Fi and can upload data to an app. Some lower cost EVSE skimp on the length of the charge cord. I have seen really short cords such as 16 ft and as long as 30 ft but 24 - 25 ft is what I would want in a charge cord for maximum reach to the vehicle's charge port.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I am not aware of any current EVSE that have a lighted J1772 connector but perhaps someone else can suggest one. When considering an EVSE for outdoor use look for an EVSE that is rated for NEMA Level 3 (can get wet) or NEMA Level 4 (can withstand being sprayed with water). Noted: this rating only applies to the housing, if the EVSE has a power plug that plug will not be rated at NEMA 3 or 4, you will have to provide a weatherproof cover for the outlet. If the EVSE is hard wired then the power plug being exposed to the elements is no longer an issue.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
InsideEVs published this review of 5 Level 2 EVSE in December 2018: https://insideevs.com/home-ev-charging-station-buyers-guide/

Green Car Reports had this 2017 review of Level 2 EVSE: https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1111589_electric-car-charging-stations-rated-whats-best-whats-cheapest-what-to-avoid

There is not much published on Level 1 EVSE since all new EVs and PHEVs come with at least a Level 1 or a combo Level 1/2 EVSE. Aftermarket Level 1 EVSE are low volume items sold as replacement for lost, stolen or broken EVSE. Check eBay for prices on Level 1 EVSE (these can cost almost as much as an entry level L2 EVSE.)

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you only plan to use 120 Volts, L1 for charging . . . . whats wrong with using the one that came with the car?? You don't need to buy anything

Don

·
Registered
458 Posts
If you're leasing and only using L1, I'd just use the one that came with the car.

Other options:
1. The TurboCord by AV is dual capable of L1 & L2, weatherproof, is the most portable, and has the padlock hole in the handle to prevent theft. (I use this one.)
2. Clipper Creek has rock solid, no frills charge cords and is made in the USA.
3. If you want to track usage and stats outside of the OnStar/MyVolt portal, ChargePoint Home provides all the smart features you could want, for a higher price.

For the lighting, carry a small flashlight. They're handy for all kinds of uses.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I originally was using a Duosida EVSE with my Volt when I first purchased it. I ran into build problems when the cable snapped internally somewhere and it stopped working.

I am now using a Zencar L2 (for about 8 months) and it's been rock solid. Swiping the RFID cards to set the charging rate is gimmicky (I never use them) but like the Duosida, it does support both L1 and L2 charging at a multitude of rates from 8A up to 16A.

·
Registered
296 Posts
You cannot charge at 16 amps on 120v. The Volt charger limits you to 12 amps at 120v. It sound like you think you cold change from the OEM charger to get 16 amps at 120v as you say you don't want 240v circuit install.
The only way to 16 amps is in 240vac with the original Voltec or aftermarket L2 charger. Many of the OEM L1 chargers support L2 at 12 amps by just making the appropriate adapter. So you gain 4 amps art 240v using an aftermarket or Voltec L2.
Voltec charger L2

Adapters for OEM L1

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. A couple of points:

I want to get a second charger since I split time between my place and my boyfriend's place, which is 60 miles away. It's a pain to keep carrying the charger; time for a second one. Given this, and the fact that I don't know that it's worth it to upgrade the wiring where I rent, I'm thinking a second dual-voltage charger makes sense. But still figuring out various trade-offs.

Thanks for the links to the other web pages, jcanoe. Following another link from one of the discussion posts, I also found this useful page:
https://insideevs.com/portable-electric-car-ev-charger-comparison/

·
Registered
3,440 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
As an alternative to a lighted EVSE plug or lighted charge port, you might be able to light up a dark parking area with a solar powered motion sensing flood light like the one linked below. This one is inexpensive, simple to install, and easy to take with you if you move.

https://www.amazon.com/Optional-Wireless-Waterproof-install-Security/dp/B01JS285JS/ref=sr_1_4?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1548088112&sr=1-4&keywords=solar+flood+light
That's cool but I have the old style wired to outlet motion sensor light. They are cheap and not worth worrying about "taking with you" when you move. Even though it is on the other side of the car there is plenty of reflected light to plug in. Those who insist otherwise just want a cool feature and will go to any length to justify it.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
"Hay-siri - flashlight mode " works well too :)

"will go to any length to justify it " you bet :)

I did get a second EVSE for 120 volt charging as I really hated having to take the original unit out of the car each time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If the 20 amp circuit is a dedicated circuit (only the one receptacle) an electrician can easily rewire the existing 120V/20 amp circuit to be a 240V/20 amp circuit so you can charge at 240V and 16 amps maximum. That would allow you to use a Level 2 EVSE.
Also consider: Most L2 chargers are designed to handle 240V or 120V. If you get a proper plug and adapter, you can use them on a standard outlet now, and take it with you when/if you migrate to a new place. And if your new place has a 240 line (like for a dryer or welder), or you can get one installed, you upgrade to L2 charging with the same hardware.

I have a Power Xpress (from Bosch) that I use just this way. I have a [email protected] circuit at home, and a [email protected] circuit at a remote cabin I go to at times over the summer. I have the adapter set to 16A, but an older Volt (pre-2019?) won't pull more than 15A on a 240V circuit anyway, since the charger in the car can't handle any more than that. Even if it did, you can adjust it down to 12A pretty easily, or limit it in the car itself via the menu options.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts