GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Volt bros. I had a little time on my hands, so I have a new project. Nothing ground breaking but s/b fun. I’m going to install this OEM style Home link garage door opening in the overhead console.
Ordered off Amazon and The color match appears to be perfect.
There is online install instructions for the gen 2 Volt , I’m sure many of you have seen. Let’s get started ! More pics to follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
If it is a "HomerLink" shouln't it say "DOH!" every time you push the button?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
That's looking good. I use my Gen 1's all the time (2 doors) as the garage door openers are decades old and quite large.

·
Banned
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All done. I used the instructions posted here:
https://www.cubbycam.com/projects/2016/01/15/homelink-install-on-2016-gen-2-chevy-volt/
I only tapped the purple/green stripe wire for switched power. I made my own ground with a sheet metal screw into the bracket above the headliner. Much more reliable and simple. I did not use a foam spacer on the outside but I did used two inside. My Homelink switch is flush with the console.

Dremel, Exacto knife, file, patience needed for install. Wire cutter-strippers, crumper, wire taps,t sheet metal screw and patience needed for wiring.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Very nice--it looks like it came that way from the factory!!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Why use home link? I use voice commands with Google assistant. Just press the microphone button on the steering wheel and say "open garage door." Google assistant is running on my android phone and uses Google Home located in my house as a gateway to my home intranet. From there you can choose various devices to control the garage door.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I noticed a dealer posting about Volts for sale on this board a couple of days ago. I visited their site and noticed that some of their Volts were padded with dealer installed options. I noticed that one of these was LPO 5LE - "New! Garage Door Opener". I wonder if that is something you can just buy from your dealer and install.

Here's a link: https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/N...n=oi_def&page=3&butID=3&print=true&embed=true

·
Registered
12 Posts
The new GM LPO 5LE might be this rear view mirror replacement (GM part #84350235, installation instructions part #84350236). MSRP is $225. Manual dimming mirror is GM #84350232, MSRP $175.

Basically the 3 HomeLink buttons are built into the bottom edge of the mirror.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The new GM LPO 5LE might be this rear view mirror replacement (GM part #84350235, installation instructions part #84350236). MSRP is $225. Manual dimming mirror is GM #84350232, MSRP $175.

Basically the 3 HomeLink buttons are built into the bottom edge of the mirror.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Nice work ! GM needs to make just the plastic surround with Homelink transmitter available for purchase ! And a harness, too.
They do make it. (They are the same parts on the Malibu.) That's what I installed. I just had to make the harness. https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?308169-A-Factory-Homelink-Garage-Remote-Kit-is-comming!!!

The first post on the link above has the instructions for the Volt Kit. So, GM has plans to offer the Volt kit, with a harness. The part number in the instructions is actually for the instructions, themselves - so we are just missing the real part number to order this kit. It may already be available but just hard to look up in the parts catalog. (Like the spare tire kit.)

I haven't been able to find a dealer, yet that gives a damn. [About this car, or about my problems. - My Volt won't be coming back to see them for oil changes or service! :)] But that's a different issue, we could talk about forever.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Google Assistant

Why use home link? I use voice commands with Google assistant. Just press the microphone button on the steering wheel and say "open garage door." Google assistant is running on my android phone and uses Google Home located in my house as a gateway to my home intranet. From there you can choose various devices to control the garage door.
Why not use GPS location and as you turn into driveway send command to open garage door. NO Voice required!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts