GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally I do all my work around the house myself or my Father comes in to help.. But I believe this one may be out of the question.

I had an electrician come by this past weekend to quote me on adding a second meter to my house to take advantage of the PEV Rates from DTE he sent me the quote last night which was the following

$950-$1000 = New 100amp breaker box, 1(20amp) 1(32amp) circuit, wiring to my garage to tie in a second 220 and tie in my original 220 that is already in place.

I have a few questions

1) Does anyone take advantage of the PEV rates? If so how big of a cost savings is there?
2) Is this a good price or am I getting taking to school?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
If that includes the second meter, main breaker and socket, that's a bargain

The way what you posted is worded sounds like just a sub panel in the garage, nothing about a second service, then not unreasonable for adding a service to an outbuilding / garage

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The way what you posted is worded sounds like just a sub panel in the garage, nothing about a second service, then not unreasonable for adding a service to an outbuilding / garage

As far as I know I would take advantage of DTE energy PEV Rates which I need a second meter. So he would install the outside box and run the wires into the basement where my other main box is and install a box right next to it and tie in my old 220 charger run lines for my second charger... I'm not sure of the main breaker or socket not good with the electric lingo..

·
Registered
524 Posts
Have you contacted DTE about the program? They doubled the number of allocations last year.
You are quoting a system that will charge two cars at 40 amps. This is considerably more than the 14 amps required for a Volt. The future proofing will add more to the initial cost and the quickest payback will be if you have two cars sucking up 40 amps.
Your quote should include the new meter base, inspection by the township and meter installation by DTE (about $100).
The 100 amp panel should be in the garage. Even if you sell your house that 100 amp panel will entice non-electric car garage "Kings". The 100 amp panel in the garage will allow easy adaption to other power requirements. I suspect your house may require two holes through a poured concrete basement and/or ripping out drywall in the basement ceiling. This can add some to the price.
The system will be separate from your existing house panel.
I hope you are planning to live there over 5 years. My bill for two Volts on the EV rate is about 11.5 cents per kWh. The rest of the house is 16.5 cents. There are totals for each meter on my bill. The prices includes distribution and all fees and taxes. My savings are about $200 per year.
If you were driving a couple Teslas considerable miles each day it would pay back fast.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just called DTE and this is the program they would have me on which includes service/delivery plus hourly rate

PEV Rate - 9.4
Normal House rate - 15.1

My plan is getting the new Volt for my wife and I'm going in on the Bolt when it comes out so that would be a total of 63amps so yes I'm future proofing.

DTE also was trying to talk me into going with a TOD service which would be off peak hours

·
Registered
524 Posts
https://www2.dteenergy.com/wps/portal/dte/residential/productsPrograms/details/Plug-In Electric Vehicles/Rate Options/!ut/p/b1/jdHJcoJAEAbgZ_EBdCYzjIzHmUDYRJFN4ZICZFMBNQqGp49a5SGpbH3rqu8_9N8gBCsQ1lFb5tGpbOpod9vD8Sum05lPvPli6kIJaty3FpTIkIr4CoIbmDPbEa7AhVCGmu1LlmpQrJji__Lwh2Hwr7wOwjKuRl1SjeAICQgJBAsTOhafCMXAl5LtRcq1QpYl-4A4P7utty6CpV80027S8E3e6ozPA8km2WE_pNIlQoap13G8CINxr5N-5R1N2HrDOkqMc5auOd6cim5R4TKy4m7HDJHUhjrrz7rzfsye25BfRDEpj43Dq-3-wDPlheUiMhLXV9OlL7-pqBzWVs9Y29ABWILw84kEaxRqLsPcwwhBEz7Ao2KiOPTeAbZcGUFF_Aq--cEd_FLyTG2qFOwrb9WnW1vt2OADykQZyg!!/dl4/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

I hope that ridiculous link from DTE comes thru. If not I can say I am on the PEV rate (D1.9) shown as option two on the DTE webpage for EV. The 9.4 cents does not include 3 surcharges and sales tax. The total is about 11.5 cents. That rate is 11pm to 9am M-F and all weekend.
The Time of Use (3rd option) is a "whole house" which I would avoid unless you want to run all the possible options of eating at 9pm, doing laundry at midnight or running the AC only at night.
EV charging on one non TOU residential meter means you are paying more that 16.5 cents on your whole house because you are jumping up several rate tiers. This stops when you add the EV meter.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you charge are you going from 0 to full charge? When I come home and plug in I'm around 10 or so miles left over and my wife is about the same... Just looking to see if the price vs payoff is worth it spending 1k on something and seeing a return is what I want.

In your eyes is it worth getting it installed?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Full charge every day on 2 Volts would be around 800 kWh per month. We use about half that and save about $200 a year. I have talked several people into the plan. One had their meters attached to the garage. That was easy. They are very happy. Yours is more expensive because of higher amperage. If you are driving more miles the payback would be earlier.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Full charge every day on 2 Volts would be around 800 kWh per month. We use about half that and save about $200 a year. I have talked several people into the plan. One had their meters attached to the garage. That was easy. They are very happy. Yours is more expensive because of higher amperage. If you are driving more miles the payback would be earlier.
You have anyone you recommend doing the job? I'm trying to get the guy to let me buy the materials and then he can install trying to save some money... I can get it from Lowes for 5% off!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

I agree with what Henry_FL says. (BIL is an electrician)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Ask your township inspector. Ask at the local electrical wholesaler. Ask the electrical people at Lowes or HD.
3 years ago I got the free L2 from DTE. A Voltec installed for $2500 paid by somebody else. A meter base, fused disconnect, 70 feet of wire stapled to the floor joists, a 4 1/2 inch box and 6 feet of flexible conduit. One guy scoped it out and showed up after inspection and meter install. Two guys did the install in about one hour. Had to drill thru the face brick. $100 in parts. $100 in wire. $100 for the meter.
I have had several electricians that are good and don't charge much. But they move on or get really busy. Question 3 or 4 of them. You should be able to get one.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea I have another guy coming out today to give me a quote... I actually called several companies yesterday and one of them said they weren't going to touch that.

Oh well there loss they must not be hurting for money!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your VoltStats are seriously messed up. Nothing at all for 2015 except January.
I got so sick and tired of having to re apply on the site to connect my car I gave up on it for a while... Now that I see that the site is working better I'm back into the game!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So speaking to the electrician we came up with the following deal which I believe is great!!

He's going to let me purchase the parts to help me save money I actually found a 10% off my total order for Lowes

He will charge me $450 for labor

Plus I do photography so I threw in a free session for his daughter to get photos with me

I believe it's a great deal

I also purchased my new charger which is the "ClipperCreek HCS-40 - 32 amp"

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just wanted to follow up and show everyone that I got the work done over the weekend and DTE will be putting my can in today/tomorrow :D

Cost of Parts - $280
Cost of Labor - $450
Total - $730

IMG_0229.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts