GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally had a chance to use my Seasucker Mini-Bomber on my Volt this week.

I've used this setup on my last three vehicles with great success. Solid products which can be used on most any vehicle. Vacuum mounts, not suction cups. Each cup is rated for 200#.

More details here: https://www.seasucker.com/product-category/bike-racks/

2012 Chevrolet Volt Seasucker Mini Bomber (black) by Joe Lopez, on Flickr

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
So the only thing keeping the rack on the car is suction cups? Looks like a clean setup, but that'd still make me a little wary. Especially if you have to make some sudden turn or something.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the only thing keeping the rack on the car is suction cups? Looks like a clean setup, but that'd still make me a little wary. Especially if you have to make some sudden turn or something.
I understand the apprehension. These are Vacuum cups, not suction cups :)

This system has been in place for many years, they have videos using them on a NASCAR. I've never had an issue personally on the freeway or other roads.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Do they have a pressure gauge or something that you can glance at to see if the seal is still good?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Cool. If I didn't already have a roof bike rack setup, I would probably look into this.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
2 questions.

1. Can this be used for a roof mounted luggage case?
2. Is theft an issue? How do you secure these from theft?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2 questions.

1. Can this be used for a roof mounted luggage case?
2. Is theft an issue? How do you secure these from theft?
1. They do have other accessories on their site (link above), something may work for that.
2. That is the one downfall to this system, one way people lock it is by using a metal window or trunk anchor that allows a cable lock to go through it. The glass solution does not seem that well engineered, but the trunk/hatch bracket would work When I use the system, I usually drive to and from my destination without stopping, so that hasn't been a concern thus far.

glass lock mount: https://www.seasucker.com/shop/cable-anchor-window/
trunk lock mount: https://www.seasucker.com/shop/cable-anchor-trunk

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Nice rack. And very nice looking Volt. I still think the Gen 1 is better looking than the Gen 2.

·
Registered
270 Posts
How clean do you have to get the car for these to work well?
I keep mine pretty clean...but I don't wax it often enough :|

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice rack. And very nice looking Volt. I still think the Gen 1 is better looking than the Gen 2.
Thank you :)
I agree, I like the more unique styling of the Gen 1 as well. The Gen 2 is a very nice ride however

1 - 12 of 12 Posts