GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of the way I used to get in and out of the car, my right hip would contact the steering wheel. Over time this has resulted in a nice big scuff/abraded section of the wheel. Once I realized what I was doing I changed my style to avoid making it worse, but so far I can't seem to find any way to repair the wheel (black leather).

Does anyone know how you might be able to restore the finish on a leather wheel?

If not I guess I might have to go with something like a "wheelskin" to try and cover the damage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have no insight to add regarding leather repair. I do, however, want to suggest a third option just in case you're not looking to change the OEM look of your Volt: Replace your steering wheel. A brand new replacement is a little steep at about $160, but there there are a number of used replacements on ebay for $45-75 that look to be in good shape (I have been thinking about replacing mine because of a scuff). I've never used a "wheelskin," but I imagine the OEM leather fit/feel is a lot nicer.

If you end up going the steering wheel cover route, you should ditch the "wheelskin" and go for this one :):

Attachments

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol... sweet.
I've used Wheelskins on a few classic cars, they are a well made leather that stitches TIGHT onto the wheel and look really good once you finish. But they sure aren't cheap.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mister Dave.. I think that is what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
What about your basic black shoe polish wax? The stuff that comes in the flat tin. Put it on with a rag/brush, then buff it up. Repeat if required.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I was thinking polish or dye as well. With enough care you should be able to get a decent finish that doesn't leave residue or "bleed" when you touch it once it's dried.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I was thinking polish or dye as well. With enough care you should be able to get a decent finish that doesn't leave residue or "bleed" when you touch it once it's dried.
"Enough care" may be quite a lot. Specific-to-purpose products are designed with this matter in mind. Ad hoc stuff isn't.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
What about your basic black shoe polish wax? The stuff that comes in the flat tin. Put it on with a rag/brush, then buff it up. Repeat if required.
Wax on a steering wheel would make the grip slippery. If you made a hard turn and it slipped in your hand while accelerating, the Volt would go where you were not pointed it. Plain shoe dye should be enough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts