GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time I seen anything go wrong on my Volt. I bought it in May but I haven't got my license plates yet so still a new owner.

I was at a traffic light and the screen had some lines and static then went black. This could be bad!

But then it played the leaf animation and came back on, so something crashed and rebooted.

Everything was running fine though, air and radio etc.

Not sure what to think about that...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Volts definitely have some electronic gremlins. I've had the infotainment screen crash a handful of times, had the fan up/down screen buttons become grayed-out / unresponsive (or hyper-sensitive, where one press will go to min or max). I get something weird every few months, and a reboot generally fixes things, so not a huge deal. But I do wish they would do software pushes to fix these things like Tesla does.

The worst was when my radio died, it takes the screen out with it, and without that you can't fully control HVAC, charging, etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I thought Tesla was the only one doing over-the-air updates. If it is an update then its kind of disturbing that an update that would reboot something like that would be allowed to run while the car is being driven would be allowed to run.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's no big deal as long as it doesn't happen too often. The system crashed less than 10 times during the past two years of ownership. The latest couple times happened when my phone was connected through Bluetooth and then my daughter connected her phone through the USB port trying to play her music. The screen would just suddenly freeze. Even the physical Home and Source, etc. would not work. After a minute or two, it will reboot by itself and comes back on as normal.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I thought Tesla was the only one doing over-the-air updates. If it is an update then its kind of disturbing that an update that would reboot something like that would be allowed to run while the car is being driven would be allowed to run.
Nope, it wasn't an over the air update. Just a bug. It happens. Sometimes the volt locks the screen up and you can't get it back without shutting the car off, waiting a fee seconds and stating it again. The good news is that it's only the infotainment system and some driving metrics that are affected. The guts of the car still runs fine.

·
Registered
208 Posts
A few day's after i bought my 2015 volt brand new, i wad driving through a neighborhood,and my infotainment center crashed,and i was still driving
Everything including my speedometer crashed,but luckily my driving wasn't otherwise affected.
About 10 minutes later(it seemed forever) my infotainment center rebooted.
So far that is the only time that has happened to me

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I had my center display crash one time on my 14 and shortly after I went in for a firmware update. Never had an issue again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts