GM Volt Forum banner

Scratch made during repairs

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Barry 
#1 ·
I was having some problems with my parking assist feature. It wasn't working. I took it to the dealer to have it repaired under warranty. The dealer had it overnight. The next day they called and said they had to special order a part and I could take the car and use it in the meantime. I picked the car up and took it home. Later I noticed there was a very deep scratch shaped like a Z about 2 inches across near the seam between the front bumper and the fender on the driver side. It was obviously made when they removed or replaced the bumper. I complained and the service person said they would look into getting it fixed. What eventually happened is that the scratch is still there, but it's painted black and barely visible unless you look right at it. It is still visible. Since cars will get scratched even with the best of care when you take them out in the world, I'm wondering if I should be content with the "repairs" or try to get them to sand it out and repaint it.

#4 ·
I've used Meguire's car cleaner and a small towel to gently buff out these types of scratches (works great on scratched DVDs too), but it takes finesse and patience. Rub a little too hard, and you've ruined the clear coat and the paint. Since the dealership has admitted to putting in this scratch, they should make things right.

#5 ·
Call the service manager and have a chat. Usually touch-up will be done without much question, but anything more will need mgr approval anyway. See what they say.

#6 ·
They need to repair it to the condition it was in when you left it. Touch up paint is not an acceptable solution in my opinion. If you scratched it and choose to use touch up paint or even choose to ignore it that is fine. They do not have the right to decide for you.

2014 Volt Premium - Safety pkg 1 and 2, Navigation

#8 ·
That's a good idea, Dutch. I'll have to remember before I drop it off for any future service visits.

#10 ·
I try to keep my cars in very good cosmetic condition, but I am not as obsessive about is as some people. If it is sealed so it will not rust and get worse, and as you said, "barely visible unless you look right at it," I would probably be willing to forget about it at that point. It is just a car and life is short. But then again, it is not my car and I have not personally seen it, so you have to figure out what you are comfortable with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.