GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I scraped bottom of the mid-section on my Volt today 3 times. How much damage can I expect? I drove test both in EV and ICE mode for a good 30 min each at 35 to 60 mph speeds. Regen paddle still worked and handling seemed fine.

I also impromtpu waved my cell phone around under the car to look for damage but couldn't cover the entire bottom of the car. I saw nothing but clean buttom with machine marks on some pipes.

Of all the rotten luck and ill-conceived speed bumps. No problem before with speeds bumps but these particular speed bumps in a local strip mall were notorious. First bump that was me, coming in too hot at 10mph but the subsequent ones I approached at 2mph and STILL scraped my Volt's mid-section. The 3rd and final bump I literally rolled over and a slight scratch was felt/heard. Once free of this 3rd bump I was able to escape the parking lot by maneuvering around the bumps using empty parking spaces as lanes (before, too many cars for me to escape).

I don't have access to lifts or even a hydrolic jack, but was going to grab some long cardboard and stick a cell phone on it to slide around under the car so video tape everything.

From what I've read on the internet on other ICE cars, typical issues are scraped oil pan, broken weld joints, loose exhaust. I'm starting to freak.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Bring it into a dealer if for no other reason than piece of mind...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Funny? you should ask about damage to the underside of the car (about 3 weeks old) today. This evening I was walking across a parking lot to my car, and noticed something hanging down from it. I assumed it was a piece of plastic bag that got caught under the car. Upon closer inspection, I discovered that a covering on the underside had a rip in it, and was hanging down. The covering is made of a fiberous material that is formed into a shape (kind of like a thick felt) and bolted on the bottom of the car. It was getting dark, so I didn't have time to look too long. It might be the same stuff that's in the wheel wells? I tried to take a couple pictures with my cell phone, but only one came out ok. I'm quite surprised (shocked) that they put that flimsy stuff on the bottom of the car. The image is looking toward the back of the car. It appears that the front edge of that material looks ripped, as if a larger piece is missing? Does anyone have a picture of what the underside of a 2017 is supposed to look like?

Underside Rip.jpg

·
Registered
449 Posts
From what I've read on the internet on other ICE cars, typical issues are scraped oil pan, broken weld joints, loose exhaust. I'm starting to freak.
No serious damage would be far more typical. Your car probably suffered none of the above.

Post pictures here if you'd like the Volt collective to weigh in...

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thoughts, ChiVolt and Volt Collective?

Strapped my phone to 1x4 and slid it across driveway underneath car. Video starts with camera right behind the front right tire and I pull the 1x4 towards left until camera reaches plastic base trim (term?). I then shift towards back of car ~1ft, shove 1x4 underneath car until camera is under right edge of car, and repeat.

I uploaded the video here (BEWARE, LOUD SOUNDS):

https://vimeo.com/179011307

0:00, ---right behind front tire
0:40, ---1 ft back from front tire
0:41, scratch from factory lift?
1:04, scratch from factory lift?
1:22, ---2 ft back
1:54, ---3 ft back
1:55, arrow pointing towards front of car
1:59, scratch on exhaust pipe?
2:16, scratch on driver's side plastic base trim (yellow paint from speed bump)
2:29, ---4 ft back
2:34, scratch on exhaust pipe?
2:54, scratch on driver's side plastic base trim (yellow paint from speed bump)
3:05, ---5 ft back
3:08, scratch on exhaust pipe?
3:23, scratch on driver's side plastic base trim (yellow paint from speed bump)
3:34, ---6 ft back
3:34, exhaust pipe looks good again
3:54, driver's side plastic base trim looks good again
4:06, ---7 ft back
4:26, scrach from factory lift?
4:40, ---right in front of rear tire

The scratches on the pipe don't look so bad and since it was my fault, I'm worried about how much it'll cost me even to inspect it at dealer.

Any thoughts? Should I pursue the owner of the mall parking lot for damages? I plan on going back to collect photo evidence anyway next weekend when I have time since the mall is out of my usual commute (first time there, hence the unfamiliarity with the odd looking speed bumps).

Attachments

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone have a picture of what the underside of a 2017 is supposed to look like?

View attachment 116362
Not sure if it'll help much, but above I posted video of my Volt. Not the greatest view but I when I used my clip-on fisheye lens, the phone's light was obscured so trade off was lack of FOV for co-located light.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Any thoughts? Should I pursue the owner of the mall parking lot for damages?
Best of luck to you. I doubt that you'll ever see anything from it. Parking lot owners have been fending off responsibility for what happens to cars for a hundred years, and I'm pretty sure it'll come down to "Speed hump was painted, you knew it was there. Driving over it or not was your choice and therefore your responsibility."

·
Registered
449 Posts
I don't see any significant damage. Some minor scrapes to the pipe that shouldn't affect longevity. IMHO life's too short to sweat small stuff like that.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm quite surprised (shocked) that they put that flimsy stuff on the bottom of the car.
You know, I'm quite surprised too. I'm also now a bit dismayed after comparing to Gen I underbody. Seems they skimped on the Gen II unless the Gen I pics from Edmunds was after removing some material to expose innards of the Gen I. The Gen I underside, if accurate, looks so high-tech and clean. Gen II looks so kludged, as if a elementary student covered up the imperfections with patches of felt and sparkly glitter to "jazz it up".

Best of luck to you. I doubt that you'll ever see anything from it. Parking lot owners have been fending off responsibility for what happens to cars for a hundred years, and I'm pretty sure it'll come down to "Speed hump was painted, you knew it was there. Driving over it or not was your choice and therefore your responsibility."
I've heard the same. I'm still going to get the pictures though and report back. Literally every speed bump had ground-in ridges as if someone took a grinder to them (I assume caused by skidding across the bumps with thin edges of a car). Speed bumps from other parking lots I've seen typically have maybe a gash here or there but most of the wear on them was from paint rubbing off onto tires so the bump's surface is still smooth, just not painted yellow anymore.

I don't see any significant damage. Some minor scrapes to the pipe that shouldn't affect longevity. IMHO life's too short to sweat small stuff like that.
It's my first new car and knowing nothing about cars, I worry. It's like your first child vs your umpteenth child. I'll get to your level of peace at some point. Just not this month...

·
Registered
767 Posts
No problem before with speeds bumps but these particular speed bumps in a local strip mall were notorious.
Have you considered contacting a lawyer and threatening a lawsuit ??
Maybe there is one pending that you can join.

Have you also vowed to NEVER again shop at any of the stores in that "mall".......and considered notifying them of same ??

That is just pathetic.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Speed Bump/Hump Regulations & Court Cases

See https://www.cga.ct.gov/2006/rpt/2006-r-0567.htm for a summary of 30 Ct. years of legal entanglements. There appears to be more of a possibility for winning an arguement on limiting bumps/hump locations and size based on the impact they have on emergency vehicle response time rather than damage to private owner vehicles. I looked for other Ct. regulations on the design and application of speed bumps in private settings but with no luck. Maybe there is something out there that establishes a starting point for getting these bumps/humps reasonable rather then eliminating them.

Reasonable people would expect a sharp 6 inch high bump is highly risky to normal car low hung equipment and emergency equipment......as such regulations for private settings wouldn't be a waste of time?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you considered contacting a lawyer and threatening a lawsuit ??
Maybe there is one pending that you can join.

Have you also vowed to NEVER again shop at any of the stores in that "mall".......and considered notifying them of same ??

That is just pathetic.
It was early on a Monday morning. Most stores weren't even open so probably not a good time to poll the businesses. I'll try asking when I head back during lunch.

See https://www.cga.ct.gov/2006/rpt/2006-r-0567.htm for a summary of 30 Ct. years of legal entanglements. There appears to be more of a possibility for winning an arguement on limiting bumps/hump locations and size based on the impact they have on emergency vehicle response time rather than damage to private owner vehicles. I looked for other Ct. regulations on the design and application of speed bumps in private settings but with no luck. Maybe there is something out there that establishes a starting point for getting these bumps/humps reasonable rather then eliminating them.

Reasonable people would expect a sharp 6 inch high bump is highly risky to normal car low hung equipment and emergency equipment......as such regulations for private settings wouldn't be a waste of time?
This might be helpful. You're right that it's probably easier to have them modify (grind down?) the existing bumps. I was focused with immediate wtf-my-car!? concerns. Now that I've had time to chill, though, I'll probably not bother since clearly it's an issue and no one has addressed it. I'll go back and take some photographs cause I have no problems clearing (width x height) 6"x3" speed bumps in other areas and 18"x3" school-zone speed bumps.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It was early on a Monday morning. Most stores weren't even open so probably not a good time to poll the businesses. I'll try asking when I head back during lunch.

This might be helpful. You're right that it's probably easier to have them modify (grind down?) the existing bumps. I was focused with immediate wtf-my-car!? concerns. Now that I've had time to chill, though, I'll probably not bother since clearly it's an issue and no one has addressed it. I'll go back and take some photographs cause I have no problems clearing (width x height) 6"x3" speed bumps in other areas and 18"x3" school-zone speed bumps.
Comparing the dimensions of
1) what's in the pathway where your car dragged
2) typical available speed bumps

might reveal to the owner of the speed bump that they are operating outside the ranges of commercially available constructions.
That might also be convincing that their speed bump is more risky for unwanted legal challenges?

One regulation in any state would be helpful too?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts