GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I searched the forums and couldn't find any threads on this.

Has anyone had or installed yourself Scotchguard's Paint Protection film on the hood/front bumper? If so, how far up the hood did you go? Would you do it again? And about how much did it cost (if you don't mind my asking)? Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Administrator
20,463 Posts
Look for "Clear Bra"

Many have installed a clear bra, including me. I went half hood, would go full hood if I had a do over (guess were I have a nick?). Also bumper, partial fender, side mirrors and top of back bumper. Door edge guards too. was around $500 or so from a local installer.

Yes, I would do it again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Half hood, full bumper, mirrors, headlights, and door handles. Cost $650 using Ventureshield and Xpel pattern. I have a clear bra on all my cars. I wouldn't attempt the install myself, especially this bumper.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Hello Reid,

You do not want to install the hood or bumper paint protection film yourself. The material is expensive, and all too easy to damage. To ensure that you get a bright, clear appearance and film longevity, an installer is needed. Ziebart did a great job for me.

XPel offers pre-cut kits for door sills and edge guards that you can install yourself:
https://www.xpel.com/products/tools.asp?product=Do It Yourself Products

With some material left over from an XPEL door sill kit, I created door handle cup protectors (note photos)
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?16051-XPel-Extremism&highlight=XPEL

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all,
Thanks for your replies and links! I wasn't planning on installing it myself though as looking at the compound curves on the front end of the Volt tells me that's well above my skill level.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I had it professionally installed after the dealer delivered the wrong color to us (dark vs. light blue) and we agreed to take it IF they'd pay for the 3M to be applied. It's been on 6 mo. now and looks to be doing its job. We've got 3.4k mi. on it and no rock chips on the front of the car. Yeah!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the full hood done, the entire front and a bit more, and under all the handles. You can't tell it's even been done unless you get up close and really look around the cutouts (by the parking sensors etc). Having the full hood is a must if you can swing it, my CEO has a white car also (Mine is the White Diamond Tri, btw) - and she has the half hood done, and you can definitely tell immediately.

·
Registered
483 Posts
After my chevy Volt 14 had been shot while driving in Savannah ga,,,I contacted 3M , considering whether Scotchguard protective film would stop small caliber bullets...the answer was NO...their film delays for a few minutes the entrance of a thief through the window,,, a pity we do not have a small square or removable bullet proof glass to cover the lateral aspects of the skull.... in these times we are living !!!. Happy Volting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts