GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought two more scissors jacks at my local auto salvage yard, $20 total. So now I have a total of three for my Volt, haha. I only needed two so I can lift a side and do two wheel rotations, but found a double scissors jack with a folding 6' long crank arm that intrigued me because it looked like it might be usable under the Volt's very low jacking points, so I got that too.

#1 is the weird double scissors, #2 showsits long folding handle, #3 are my two jacks for the lifting points under the doors, and my speed crank. #4 is the $6 Harbor Freight 1/2" speed handle I black-smithed and re-bent to make my speed crank.

Auto part Gun Trigger Revolver Air gun Gun barrel Auto part Pipe Automotive exhaust Fuel line

I removed the small wire handles from the two regular scissor jacks in #3 so I could use their 3/4" ends with a 3/4" socket on an articulated joint connected to my new speed driver. I added a 1/2" white pvc pipe to act as a freely rotating grip point.

The double scissor jack DOES fit under the Volt's lift points and the very long handle allows it to be raised from the front or back of the car. I have no idea what kind of vehicle this beast came from. A truck maybe?

Update: A truck indeed. A 1955-1959 Chevy Cameo pickup truck.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Steverino - great photos. I know I struggled the first time I rotated the tires with just a scissors jack and a floor jack, not realizing the low clearance on the front jack/lift point.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I found a folding handle like the one I got at the junkyard listed on ebay as a "Chevy truck jack handle 1955-1959" for $60. So the jack came from a 1955-59 Chevy Cameo pickup truck. I guess that means I won't be finding another double scissor jack at the junk yard very soon, haha.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Pickup truck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts