GM Volt Forum banner

Saying goodbye to 2017 Voltium

1165 Views 11 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  BenjaminD
Hi all,

It's taken me a long time to sit down and write this post. I'm still grieving the loss of my beloved 2017 Volt!

At about 8pm one night in March, I left a friend's house and started on my way home. There was a little snow falling, but it was warm on the ground and the roads were still fine. I took it easy and trusted the snow tires since I had felt zero slippage since setting off.

About five minutes from home, I coasted gently down a hill and began lightly braking for a sharp corner. By this point I think I was probably going 25-30 miles per hour. As I turned the wheel, however ...
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

I hit a patch of ice, slid straight off the road, went down into the ravine, and hit a tree head-on. Luckily, I was unharmed. The Volt is a very safe machine, and I was lucky.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Car Automotive design

Here's the aftermath (they actually did more damage getting it out of the ravine!):
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Wheel
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Asphalt

Car Vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel Fixture

I loved this car. It was my father's, so it already had some sentimental value when I started driving it, and over the last eleven months I had really bonded with it. Everybody who rode in it loved it, and a lot of memories were made in and around it -- from family vacations, to late nights with friends, and everything in between. It had been through blizzards, downpours, you name it, and it never missed a beat. Not to mention the fact that it saved me a LOT of gas money and had a minimal environmental impact over the 20,000 miles I put on it in that short time.

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire

I also lost a LOT of my obnoxious stickers. These were collected from far and wide!

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

I continue to feel awful about the untimely death of this fantastic car. You never forget your first -- and the Volt will always stand out in my memory. I was lucky to have it.

And yes, we saved the roof rack!

My thanks to all in the GM-Volt community who provided their valuable insight over the last year. I will continue as a lurker, such is my interest in these vehicles. If you're thinking about buying one, I wholeheartedly recommend it.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Plant Natural landscape Wood Tree Branch

Plant Natural material Wood Grass Tree
Plant Wood Gesture Tree Grass

Sky Wood Twig Branch Vegetation

Revisited the scene of the crime a couple days latter. The adjacent homeowners said, "there's at least one every year."

· Registered
2 Posts
My condolences. I drive the same year & color (non-Premier), I know it's going to be hard to find a right-fit replacement.

What are you looking at? I know there are some low-milage used 2019's floating on the online dealers, the price is a little bit hard to swallow, though if you have GAP, it might help a bit.

· Registered
117 Posts
Hi all,

It's taken me a long time to sit down and write this post. I'm still grieving the loss of my beloved 2017 Volt!

At about 8pm one night in March, I left a friend's house and started on my way home. There was a little snow falling, but it was warm on the ground and the roads were still fine. I took it easy and trusted the snow tires since I had felt zero slippage since setting off.

About five minutes from home, I coasted gently down a hill and began lightly braking for a sharp corner. By this point I think I was probably going 25-30 miles per hour. As I turned the wheel, however ...
View attachment 174307

I hit a patch of ice, slid straight off the road, went down into the ravine, and hit a tree head-on. Luckily, I was unharmed. The Volt is a very safe machine, and I was lucky.

View attachment 174308

Here's the aftermath (they actually did more damage getting it out of the ravine!):
View attachment 174309
View attachment 174310 View attachment 174311
View attachment 174312

I loved this car. It was my father's, so it already had some sentimental value when I started driving it, and over the last eleven months I had really bonded with it. Everybody who rode in it loved it, and a lot of memories were made in and around it -- from family vacations, to late nights with friends, and everything in between. It had been through blizzards, downpours, you name it, and it never missed a beat. Not to mention the fact that it saved me a LOT of gas money and had a minimal environmental impact over the 20,000 miles I put on it in that short time.

View attachment 174313

I also lost a LOT of my obnoxious stickers. These were collected from far and wide!

View attachment 174314

I continue to feel awful about the untimely death of this fantastic car. You never forget your first -- and the Volt will always stand out in my memory. I was lucky to have it.

And yes, we saved the roof rack!

My thanks to all in the GM-Volt community who provided their valuable insight over the last year. I will continue as a lurker, such is my interest in these vehicles. If you're thinking about buying one, I wholeheartedly recommend it.
Got to love a volt, get another one!
the most important thing that you are okay!

· Registered
356 Posts
Don't think that'll buff out!

For some reason, the image of you holding the washer filler tube sort of hits me in the heart.

My first was a VW Karmann Ghia. Shared with my dad, too. I wish I still had the car, and him.

Happy you're okay. Things'll work out.
Y'know... Maybe the battery was two charges away from crapping out.
Who knows?

Sorry for your obnoxious stickers. For sure.

Reactions: BenjaminD

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the kind words, everybody. I initially wanted to get another Volt, or the Volvo wagon of my dreams, but we ended up with a nice black Mazda 3 hatchback, which is a really awesome car! We're consolidating the family vehicles to save some $$ and it works out. Although the Mazda (even though it's averaging 34 mpg) would be perfect if it had the Volt powertrain ....

And @arbus you are right ... with a Volt it's hard to tell what lies ahead. Maybe this saved us thousands in battery repairs! Doing 20k+ miles per year would have accelerated this thing's aging process, for sure.

Reactions: scottf200

· Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, everybody. I initially wanted to get another Volt, or the Volvo wagon of my dreams, but we ended up with a nice black Mazda 3 hatchback, which is a really awesome car! We're consolidating the family vehicles to save some $$ and it works out. Although the Mazda (even though it's averaging 34 mpg) would be perfect if it had the Volt powertrain ....

And @arbus you are right ... with a Volt it's hard to tell what lies ahead. Maybe this saved us thousands in battery repairs! Doing 20k+ miles per year would have accelerated this thing's aging process, for sure.
What a downgrade :)

· Administrator
23,403 Posts
Doing 20k+ miles per year would have accelerated this thing's aging process, for sure.
For sure? What we are seeing in Gen 1 seems to be based on battery age, not miles.

Reactions: hellsop

· Registered
356 Posts
His was a 2017. Is that still considered G1?

· Administrator
23,403 Posts

· Registered
578 Posts
Someone just recently (today) posted they are in need of a 2017 mirror, you could be an organ donor........
Nevermind, original post was 3 weeks ago

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.