GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today around 9:40 AM I was driving east on Toll Highway #22 (between San Juan and Hatillo, PR) since it is very close to my home (Exit 13) and I take it to get to San Juan faster. As I passed Exit 10 which connects to the eastern part of my home city Bayamon, I saw two bright lights behind me in the rear view mirror. As it was closing in doing over the speed limit (55 MPH) I saw the face of the Chevy Bolt EV!

It was silver with the black grille and the gold "Bowtie" on the nose. It caught up and passed me on my right. My wife saw it and waved at the driver (I don't believe he noticed her). The EV passed ahead and I saw on the rear the name of the local dealer, Benitez Auto, which I posted about them becoming the first Bolt EV dealer. The driver kept going and I lost it. I didn't follow it.

It was wonderful to see this EV on our public roads for the first time! :)

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
One question; will the new shock color for the 2019 Bolt be popular in PR?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Are there any charging stations in PR? How much of PR will the 238 mile range cover?

Are you next in line at the dealer?
There are Level 2 chargers, but no DCFC. You wouldn't really need DCFC in the Bolt EV on Puerto Rico, though. The times you'd use it would be very narrow.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
For reference, the island is 90 miles long by 30 miles wide. That is straight line distance, so road distance is longer, but that gives a sense of the scale. There are ~10 level 2 chargers well distributed on the island, not including a cluster in the greater San Juan area, according to PlugShare. Also, speed limits tend to be low and no need to run heat. So I think the Bolt would be well suited to PR. Electricity is a little high at $.20/kWh, but that should still be cheaper than gas, depending on how you compare. A solar system could help there and would work well in the PR weather.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
One is the amount of Bolts I've seen on the roads here. Teslas are all over the place, go figure.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
^ same here in NC. I spotted my first and only Bolt this week. I have been seeing Model 3s repeatedly and more often. Judging by the much higher production figures for Model 3, that is going to be the trend. I'm glad to finally see an electric car with mass appeal that is really catching on.

·
Administrator
20,196 Posts
While driving my Volt last week on a 10 mile round trip to a local store I saw 2 Bolts and a Volt. I waved, but they were all oblivious.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Are there any charging stations in PR? How much of PR will the 238 mile range cover?

Are you next in line at the dealer?
I need a EV replacement for my Equinox, the best crossover ever made!

The Bolt EV is smaller and not the size I need (and my wife wants). So I am waiting for a new GM EREV crossover. I hope Cadillac will offer an EREV or BEV XT4 by 2020. The 238 mile range will give me two weeks of travel. Since I have my own Level 2 EVSE, I can charge once every weekend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts