GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving in Burbank, California and ended up driving behind a Model 3 for a short while. There is a super charger & service station nearby so perhaps they were doing some recharging tests. I recall a recent article saying that Tesla is still tweaking the recharging characteristics of the Model 3. Perhaps they'll release on time....

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I would think the Model 3 isn't that far along to be doing road testing, but maybe it was headed for a photo shoot or something. FWIW I don't think what was shown will be the final vehicle. On the exterior you have the front end and of course the promise of more cargo space.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I would think the Model 3 isn't that far along to be doing road testing, but maybe it was headed for a photo shoot or something. FWIW I don't think what was shown will be the final vehicle. On the exterior you have the front end and of course the promise of more cargo space.
What was shown was an engineering prototype.
It was described as very close to final, but not exact.

As already mentioned, the dash is not yet complete.
There has been no promise of more storage.
What has been said, is that the opening of the trunk is being modified a bit to allow easier access to what storage is there.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The SAE had staffers at the Model 3 reveal and they got a chance to do a ride-along that night. Engineers that they are, they were armed with magnets to see what the body was made of. No magnetic signal anywhere, even on the main "B" pillars, which are almost always steel for rollover protection. They concluded it was fiberglass. That means a "concept" body, not even close to street-legal for long-term road testing.

SAE Model 3 article/

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
So George Washington NEVER was President because no one took a picture? <deleted>
Raymondjram, you've been around here a long time and know the rules. Name calling like this is out of bounds. You can disagree without resorting to that.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
News - Tesla Motors is saying the Model 3 will have a smaller than 60 kWh battery for the base model.

The question is, is 215 miles combined EPA the base model? Or with the optional battery?

I have a hunch that the specs were not for the stripper.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
News - Tesla Motors is saying the Model 3 will have a smaller than 60 kWh battery for the base model.

The question is, is 215 miles combined EPA the base model? Or with the optional battery?

Everything is open to interpretation...The majority interpret it as the GOAL is for the base model to achieve 215 EPA combined...Musk has not yet stated the word "combined" nor has he clarified the $35K base will do 215...The full size model S/X do have a Cd of .24, they have a goal to get the TM3, which has an even smaller frontal area, to .21 which seems realistic...

If the Bolt comes out with let's say a .28 Cd has the 60kWh and gets the rumored EPA 235 combined, I don't see how Tesla couldn't get 215 to with a better Cd...Also Tesla could technically use 59.99999999999999999kWh battery and still claim it has a smaller battery than the Bolt...

·
Registered
2,634 Posts

Not news, EPA combined rating is based on Highway efficiency as well as city, but highway is the limiting factor.

The Tesla is much more aerodynamic than the Bolt EV, so likely can achieve the same range figure with much less battery, but if they do this the Bolt EV will still have greater low speed range than the TM3. Instead of combined range, I would like to see the figures separately (they are there, just harder to find)

I am guessing the TM3 will have 50kWh and 70kWh batteries, with maybe a 10k price difference (TMS has 70kwh and 90kwh with 13k price difference).

My guess is initially TM3 will be sold with larger battery and AWD or other options bringing the price to $50k, or about 42.5k after tax credits., or close to 10k more than a Bolt EV, at least initially.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
The SAE had staffers at the Model 3 reveal and they got a chance to do a ride-along that night. Engineers that they are, they were armed with magnets to see what the body was made of. No magnetic signal anywhere, even on the main "B" pillars, which are almost always steel for rollover protection. They concluded it was fiberglass. That means a "concept" body, not even close to street-legal for long-term road testing.

SAE Model 3 article/
Come on guys, took me 2 second to google "tesla model 3 in the wild"...How long did it take you to write that reply?

http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-spotted-in-the-wild-images-video/
http://electrek.co/2016/04/17/tesla-model-3-roundup-prototypes-spotted-in-the-wild-gallery/

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
...(the TM3) can achieve the same range figure with much less battery ...
Who did the efficiency testing? We will see.

Right now, Tesla has the about the worst EV miles per kWh in the industry, even though the Model S has extremely good aerodynamics. It has the lowest total drag of EVs, but about the highest power consumption.

Example: At 70 mph the 2012 Nissan Leaf has 13% more aero drag than the 2012 Tesla Model S85. However, on the highway EPA cycle, the Leaf is 12% more efficient anyhow. That's over a 45% (1.13 x 1.12) efficiency difference. For every watt hour of juice, the Nissan drivetrain does 145% the work at highway speeds as the Tesla.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=35980&id=34918

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/drag-queens-aerodynamics-compared-comparison-test-drag-queens-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-7

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Who did the efficiency testing? We will see.

Right now, Tesla has the about the worst EV miles per kWh in the industry, even though the Model S has extremely good aerodynamics. It has the lowest total drag of EVs, but about the highest power consumption.
TM3 has less drag area than model S, if 60 kWh TMS can get 208 mile range, I wouldn't be surprised if a more efficient and aerodynamic upgraded design model 3 could get the same on 50 kwh.

Pretend the frontal area drops 1 sq-ft from model S to 24 sq-ft, and Cd is 0.21, that means drag area is only 5 instead of 6.2 sq-ft on S, or about 20% less. If battery is 50 kwh instead of 60 kwh, that means expected range of model 3 would be 215 miles or so, just based loosely on aerodynamics and a 60 kwh model s. Sounds like 50 kwh battery is about right.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I will venture a guess that the TM3 will have an independently measured Cd of .25 or higher. We will see. That wasn't .21 at the demo.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts

The specs were given for the stripper. They gave minimum specs, at least 215 miles of range, Supercharging hardware, Autopilot hardware, less than 6s 0-60.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Wow, Tesla is really playing this one up, probably trying to show it is closer to production. Probably a media stunt. It really looks like a Mazda.
I'm sure it's some version of road testing/test mule; perhaps with the testing miles deemed this/these mules are not "reveal/show quality" so they some made nearly perfect fit and finish fiberglass exterior versions for the reveal...They are on the road which is good but I still don't think even Musk think they'll be any delivered in 2017...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts