GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Volt
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil life is at 7% , yeah I know shoulda had an oil change a while ago. I don't use the ICE so I put it off since I was very busy. Anyhow my car just said it will perform a 10 minute engine maintenance since I've not used the engine in a long time! It gave me the option to delay for 24 hours.

I'd like to get an oil change before this 10 minute maintenance happens.

The local Chevy dealers are busy until next week and can not give me an oil change.

So has anyone had a satisfactory experience with an oil change place in Los Angeles? Closer to Sherman Oaks, Burbank, Glendale, Van Nuys or West LA to better.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My oil life is at 7% , yeah I know shoulda had an oil change a while ago. I don't use the ICE so I put it off since I was very busy. Anyhow my car just said it will perform a 10 minute engine maintenance since I've not used the engine in a long time! It gave me the option to delay for 24 hours.

I'd like to get an oil change before this 10 minute maintenance happens.

The local Chevy dealers are busy until next week and can not give me an oil change.

So has anyone had a satisfactory experience with an oil change place in Los Angeles? Closer to Sherman Oaks, Burbank, Glendale, Van Nuys or West LA to better.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Relax! 7% equates to many weeks or even months. The little the engine runs won't matter a bit.
Get it done when convenient.

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
Yelp can help. There must be a thousand quick change oil places in LA. The Volt's gas engine is a gas engine, it's oil change is like any other.

The main things about oil changes: Use the correct oil, use the correct amount, don't spill it all over the engine compartment, make sure the oil cap is replaced and snug, make sure the filter is replaced and also snug. None of these are technically or mentally challenging. However, there have been posts complaining about dealers who seem unable to do this successfully. Oil spills in the engine bay, lose or missing oil fill caps, lose filters, even one where the oil was drained and no new oil added!

Regardless who changes the oil, open the hood, look for spills, make sure the cap is on, check the oil level (the oil should be clean and clear if new)

·
Registered
30 Posts
And remember that the oil capacity is only 3.7 quarts, if I recall correctly. A lot of oil change places will automatically dump in 5 quarts without thinking or checking. This happened to me (at the dealer!). The excess oil caused the oil cap to warp, letting hot oil out to burn and smell really bad. It took a LONG time to burn off the engine cover with multiple trips back to the dealer to make sure nothing was really wrong.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yelp can help. There must be a thousand quick change oil places in LA. The Volt's gas engine is a gas engine, it's oil change is like any other.

The main things about oil changes: Use the correct oil, use the correct amount, don't spill it all over the engine compartment, make sure the oil cap is replaced and snug, make sure the filter is replaced and also snug. None of these are technically or mentally challenging. However, there have been posts complaining about dealers who seem unable to do this successfully. Oil spills in the engine bay, lose or missing oil fill caps, lose filters, even one where the oil was drained and no new oil added!

Regardless who changes the oil, open the hood, look for spills, make sure the cap is on, check the oil level (the oil should be clean and clear if new)
And make sure the oil drain plug is properly seated and tightened in the oil pan when screwed back in. Took a car to an Econo Lube N Tune and they didn’t get that in correctly, had oil leak and had to redo the oil change. Although an easy task, it can be screwed up by someone who doesn’t know, or care about, what they are doing.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great advice Steverino. Thanks

·
Registered
2013 Volt
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great advice! Their receipt said 5 quarts of STP synthetic oil which met Dexos specifications. When my wife returns with the car I'll check my oil guage to see if it is overfilled and ask them to drain some oil if needed. Luckily all our driving will be electric today.

And remember that the oil capacity is only 3.7 quarts, if I recall correctly. A lot of oil change places will automatically dump in 5 quarts without thinking or checking. This happened to me (at the dealer!). The excess oil caused the oil cap to warp, letting hot oil out to burn and smell really bad. It took a LONG time to burn off the engine cover with multiple trips back to the dealer to make sure nothing was really wrong.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I allowed the Engine Maintenance to occur since I had some oil life still. The engine was only running for two minutes. However afterwards oil life went to 0%. GM's way of really saying it is time to get an oil change. I checked out some places near by. I decided on a smaller auto repair shop called "Burbank Auto Doctor" in Burbank, California. The shop had been in business for many years and had great reviews. The owner was there and he had a older hybrid car.

He entered some data in to his computer about my car. He realized he did not have the oil filter in stock. He called up the parts warehouse and asked if any of his filters on hand would be compatible. They said no. I already knew this answer but I let him ask. So he placed an order for the filter and it arrived in 10 minutes.

Drove the car home using engine mode. It was a 10 minute drive. I let the car sit in the driveway for an hour. Then I moved the car. No oil drips. I opened the hood. The oil cap was on tight. No oil drips anywhere.

I did not check the oil level or color yet. My wife needed the car. I'll edit this reply when I get a chance to do this later today. Of note, the receipt said they charged me for 5 quarts of STP synthetic oil (meets dexos specification). However the Volt's max oil amount is recommended to be 3.7 quarts. I'll definitely be checking the oil level when my wife returns. Luckily all her driving will be via electric battery today.

I was able to check the oil finally. Seems like oil level is okay.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Why I have always done my own oil/filter changes. The only way you know it's done right. Especially when (with the TR7) every one from the guy behind the parts counter to the guy at the gas station says "Who makes that?" The Volt will be no different.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's odd.
I had my oil change and coolant flush done last week at a local Chevy dealer.
My invoice states: 3.7 88865638(ACDelco 10-9060 5W30) oil $4.30 each $15.91 total.
They used 3.7 quarts.

Maybe the shop you went to just states 5 quarts on the invoice because they charge the same price for up to 5 quarts.
1.3 quarts is a lot more. I would definitely ask them.

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
Everyone gets an owner's manual with their car. It's also a PDF online. It covers recommended fluids, etc. No need to debate, check the owner's manual. Mine says Engine Oil with Filter 3.5 L (3.7 qt).

·
Registered
2013 Volt
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Two years ago in 2016, the dealer charged me around $65 for a 2013 Volt oil change. Yes you read that correct. My Volt did not require an oil change for 2 years.

So now for the pricing when going to a local mechanic 2 years later in 2018:

Labor: $18.40

STP Synthetic oil : $49.99
charged for 5 quarts although Volt requires maximum 3.7 quarts .

Oil filter: $17.18

Preferred customer discount: $10
Not sure why cashier applied a discount. Perhaps technician informed cashier of charging for too much oil when checking the oil dip stick showed way too much oil had been added.

Supply Charge: $1.32

Sub total: $76.89

Yea. I know it can be cheaper if I do it myself.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Run the car on the ICE on the way to the oil change to warm the oil.
I wouldn't do that. With engine cold the oil will have drained to the bottom of sump and the oil reading will be highest (this is the condition when oil level should be checked). By running the engine the oil will be fed to the upper reaches of the engine and even if left a while for oil to drain down it won't give a true reading. If excessive oil in the engine (assuming this is the case) bad things can happen if driven in this condition. A little overfilling is fine but I wouldn't take the chance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts