GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heads-up San Diegonians!

SDG&E rates are scheduled to increase in September 2013 by as much as 40%, depending on usage. The rate hike will be distributed to residential customers exponentially by usage. SDG&E customers charging their car may see a huge increase in their energy bill if they are not offsetting their usage with solar, or subscribed to an EV TOU rate plan. From what I can tell, the EV-TOU plans will remain unchanged.

Coastal zone rate increase table (inland, mountain, and desert zones here) :

EV TOU rates:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Last month we used 4000 kwh and paid $320 . This includes all taxes . I guess my bill would have more than $1,500 at those rates !

·
Banned
301 Posts
Damn, Cali gives it too you without the lube.

Is this from all the environmental nazi protests that caused the closing the San Onofre nuke plant?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
That's what happens when a nuc plant up the road from you goes off line permanently.

John
well..... honestly fukushima daiichi is what happens....... nuclear power has never been a good idea and it never will be...... we don't have the means to deal with it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
TOU seems pretty obvious. And, like I said before, nobody's rates are going up 40%, since that uptick would'nt begin until watt 2,001. Still a big change, but dramtically cheaper tou for big users since rate caps at ~.27. Right?

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Kilovolts? They need better writers.

CA government is to blame for this. Too much power being imported from Arizona. Our rates in PA have dropped from .176/kWh to .143/kWh in the last two years. 24x7. The California electric rate hike is as much a hit to someone's budget as is a .50/gal gas tax hike.

SONGS closed due to repairs plus the opposition. Without it running, now they have a plant just sitting there instead of a plant sitting there and delivering power. Apparently, recent repairs were not done well and would have lead to more repairs and worry about safety due to repair after repair riled up the opponents. So, now it is raise rates to cut demand and pay for imported power. The more CA fights nuclear, the higher the prices will go. You get what you ask for in that environment.

The power companies like SCE are trying to cut what they pay to solar PV owners for net metering. The answer isn't going to be just to get solar if they follow through with this. http://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Solar-customers-net-metering-challenged-4396058.php

·
Registered
231 Posts
Or is it simply capitalism at work - lots of $$ to be made by setting rates to squeeze the most profit out of Joe Q Public

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yep. I expected this to happen and more so around the country. So thats why Im fully loaded on solar to pay my complete util bill and now with my phase 2 install enough to charge my soon to be volt via net metering here in NYS which I hope the rules don't change anytime soon. I would rather burn all the juice up net metered than get their measely 6 cents wholesale rate in money. Its getting hard to control ones destiny. If it is not the oil companies its the util companies.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
OMG! I bought 985 kWH of off peak last month, and paid a total all in $77.36, fixed costs, taxes and everything it worked out to be $0.0785 a kWh. If I was in San Diego I would have a massive solar farm for sure. In SD it would have been over $300!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Great reason to go solar. California still offers grants and incentives that PAY to instal your solar panels... So why keep paying for over priced electricity when you can get a solar system installed for free?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hike Unrelated to Closure of Nuclear Plant?

Damn, Cali gives it too you without the lube.

Is this from all the environmental nazi protests that caused the closing the San Onofre nuke plant?
That's what happens when a nuc plant up the road from you goes off line permanently. John
That's one way of putting it.

According to SDGE, this increase is not related to the closing of the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS). The cost of the decomission of SONGS is currently under consideration by the Public Utilities commission.

My opinion: The spin the utility is giving it is that the hike is for new switches, transmission, and delivery equipment. It's not that hard to connect the dots that the added switching costs are to import power from Palo Verde nuclear generating station in Arizona to replace what would have been generated by San Onofre. The utility has to be careful how they position each rate hike as to not have the public utilities commission reject the next hike as a double-dip. The delivery of the power (perhaps as a result of redirection) is the current hike. The higher cost of that imported power and decomission of SONGS may be a subsequent hike.

No. The 40 year old plant closed after there was a radiation leak discovered in January 2012. The small leak was attributed to worn out tubes that carry radioactive water. An inspection following the leak revealed over 15,000 points of wear in 3,401 tubes which doomed the plant from a safety perspective. The nazi environmentalists are very pleased, but in the end, it was wear and tear that killed the "Dolly Parton monument":

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TOU rates are for EV only customers

Holy cow! Really I think everyone should be on a tou plan, regardless of whether they have an electric car.
Qualifying for the EV-TOU rates require that you submit an application and provide the details of your electric vehicle registered with the California DMV. It takes 2 billing cycles to go into effect, so new EV owners need to get a head start on it as soon as they bring their car home.

The resident must sign a statement that says, "I certify under penalty of perjury that this account qualifies under the terms of the electric vehicle rate and that the vehicle is in my possession is registered with the State of California’s Department of Motor Vehicles. "

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TOU seems pretty obvious. And, like I said before, nobody's rates are going up 40%, since that uptick would'nt begin until watt 2,001. Still a big change, but dramtically cheaper tou for big users since rate caps at ~.27. Right?
Well at 1,500 kWH it's a 35% increase, and at 3,000 kWH it's 39.3% before taxes and fees. 39.3 is approximately 40.

To your point, I reckon that a big user might be able to cost justify the lease of an EV just in the TOU savings for their household.

·
Registered
194 Posts
WOW that is outrageous. In Michigan our off peak rates to charge an electric vehicle are about 8.2 cents per KWH. If our rates ever went up that high as in San Diego, I would think twice about buying an electric vehicle.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Beat cha!

Paid for 254 kWh on the last bill @ $29.72 total. This was the first bill with kWhs since December. That includes charging the Volt whenever we darn well please.

We purchased it from Freedom Chevrolet in San Antonio and that's exactly what we got in the deal (including the solar installed the same month.)

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Holy cow! Really I think everyone should be on a tou plan, regardless of whether they have an electric car.
Except for net zero-seeking Solar Customers.

Actually, I think TOU plans hurt net zero-seeking solar customers unless they can settle up at some point for their over-production. I don't have a TOU plan and have purchased <600 kWh since November (when the system was installed.) And that includes charging our Volt whenever we want.

Before our current trip we were 80% EV @ 10,000 mile since November. That adds up to a lot of charging.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts