GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Android v5.1.1. Nice phone, but won't sync contacts with my car.

I can pair the phone with the car just fine. When I get prompted on the phone to allow access to the phonebook, and tell it yes. However, the contacts never get transferred to the car. When I check the settings for the connection, it says the car is connected for call audio; I would think it should say something about Phone Book access, but maybe they don't show that status. Both "Call audio" and "Contacts and Phone Log" are enabled for the connection. The car center stack just shows "Enter number" and "call logs" but all the call log lists are empty. The center stack doesn't show anything for phone book.

I've tried unpairing, repairing, and restarting the phone without any luck. I've also tried the Bluetooth File Transfer app, but it just times out out after a while saying it can't establish a connection. As I mentioned above, I've allowed phonebook access, but the car seems connected only for call audio.

I'm wondering if the Note 5 Bluetooth has an issue, or perhaps uses a different Bluetooth Profile than the 2011 Volt does. I've had some problems in the past with HTC phones, which turned out to be fixed with an OS patch. My previous phone, an LG G2 Android v5.0.2, was flawless. Doing Google searches yielded all sorts of experiences (mostly about forgetting to allow phonebook access), but none of the suggestions I found worked.

Anyone able to get a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 with Android v5.1.1 to sync contacts with a non-MyLink Volt?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Having a phone 5 years newer than the car would seem to be asking allot that the software would be 100% compatible ..

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having a phone 5 years newer than the car would seem to be asking allot that the software would be 100% compatible ..
Well, that thought crossed my mind. The real issue I think is the Bluetooth standard seems to be interpreted in different ways. Like I said, even 5 years ago I was having issues with an HTC phones.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had a new radio installed in my previous car, the contacts would sync from my iPhone for hands free calling. This feature does not work on my 2012 volt. I have had to add contacts to the car using the button on the wheel.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
My 2011 never seemed to sync contacts, but my 2012 did the instant I paired it with bluetooth, so maybe the 2011 doesn't support syncing contacts. Just a guess... :)

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
My Samsung Note 2 pairs just fine with my 2013 Volts. However, I do believe there was some software updates the dealership can do due to some complaints about BT. You will have to pay but it might be worth it. I like the voice commands to dial anyone my contact list.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My LG G2 synced contacts just fine. So did my HTC EVO 4G after updates. So the 2011 Volt can sync contacts, just not with my new phone.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the record, my wife's iPhone 6s paired just fine, including the phonebook. So I don't buy it that I shouldn't expect a new phone to work with a 5yr old car.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Got it to work, finally. Had to pay $1.95 for the Bluetooth Phonebook app by android-rsap.com from the Play Store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android_rsap.irmc&hl=en

There's a trial version that messes up the numbers in the car but lets you verify it will actually transfer the phonebook, and if it works, you uninstall the trial version and install the paid version. I tried other apps, but none of them solved the problem.

To me, this proves it's the phone at fault. It cost me a couple of bucks, but at least it's fixed now. Or at least until the next update.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts