GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Blue 2013 Volt

I'm not a car person and I have no intuition on how to proceed, but I hope to get some help sourcing salvage parts to install myself. Did I already pay way too much for the fender and rim?

I've suffered a series of disasters this year. Most recently, my roommate had an accident, which damaged the front end and driver side (and a stranger's vehicle I will be liable for).

[edit]
Dashcam recording of the accident:
[/edit]

Now my car has stuff dragging / scraping / rubbing and the left turn signal is broken. It would be ideal if I can source the entire front assembly upper / lower bumper fascia + grille, guards, turn signals, etc.

A local shop replaced my driver side CV axel. They said I also needed a new rim, fender, and front bumper + fascia. They found a salvage yard 1.5 hours away that has a rim and fender (black) for $125 each. I borrowed a truck and picked up the parts.

I still need a bumper / fascia. Mine is busted up and dangling. Mounting the replacement will probably be difficult since I've lost so many clips and bolts. Many were destroyed by dragging on the ground. Removing the bumper fascia and other dragging bits was very difficult, but I finally managed to do it last night. I had to return to the tornado-damaged home I have been displaced from to use the garage. It is still packed full with items I have no place for, so I have to move things out and back in. Georgia is extremely hot + humid right now!

My friend's mother offered to let me use this jack that belonged to her recently-deceased husband:

...but my brother thinks this is for lifting a motorcycle. I don't know where to position it anyway. I just used the ramps I had already purchased from Harbor Freight.

After removing the bumper / fascia, I see there's also some kind of guard wall around the wheel well that was also destroyed and dragging. Can anyone tell me what this part is called?

Also there is this thing dangling:

[edit]
(video works in iOS Safari, apparently nowhere else)

[/edit]

If the video doesn't work: That's a module with 3 big wire bundles connected to it. There's a big metal heatsink too.

I do not know what it's called and where it is supposed to mount. Does it attach to the car frame, or mount to the bumper fascia somehow? What happens if this is exposed to elements?

·
Administrator
21,121 Posts
Wheel well liner.

Don't see a picture of the "heat sink". but if its silver with orange wiring/connectors and mounted in the wheel well behind the passenger side bumper that the charger. That's where the incoming electricty from the driver's side charge port goes. About $1200 for a new one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
[...]

Don't see a picture of the "heat sink". but if its silver with orange wiring/connectors and mounted in the wheel well behind the passenger side bumper that the charger. That's where the incoming electricty from the driver's side charge port goes. About $1200 for a new one.
For some reason that embedded video only works on iOS Safari.

The one you are talking about is still mounted securely. The dangling one is much smaller and is on the driver side (where the impact happened). Mine is dangling against the washer fluid reservoir.

This smaller one on the driver side:

·
Administrator
21,121 Posts
Engine Control Module

·
Registered
491 Posts
There are a couple of sites to find salvage parts. Just saw a few. I assume you checked those. Getting a blue fender is low probably but possible. You could have one repainted.
Google Volt used parts.
Here’s one

there are parts diagrams available also on line.
You could try the other volt repair site on Facebook. But they take a long time to approve you

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are a couple of sites to find salvage parts. Just saw a few. I assume you checked those. Getting a blue fender is low probably but possible. You could have one repainted.
Google Volt used parts.
Here’s one

there are parts diagrams available also on line.
You could try the other volt repair site on Facebook. But they take a long time to approve you
Thank you. On the site you linked, I see a blue one with a photo for $700. For some reason it shows up twice in the results.

Description: NIQ,BAD TAB RS TOP,BLU,4DR/HB,C-NOTE Park assist (opt UD5)

More newbie questions...
I obviously don't have much experience with this :)

• Is that description saying there are "bad tabs on right side?" Maybe there is a way to deal with that.
  • I suppose the park assist sensors are irrelevant (my car does not have the feature).
  • Are these salvage places typically negotiable?
  • Will shipping cost like +$100 for something as big as a bumper assembly?

·
Administrator
21,121 Posts
How can I see a picture of a mounted ECM so I can get mine rigged into roughly the correct spot? I have done some searching and I just can't get a good look.
The attached cables pretty much limit where that will be. It's going to mount in the general area where it is. Look for corresponding holes/studs.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That lift is 100% for motorcycles and atv's. DON'T use it on your Volt. I doubt it even has capacity to lift it, but it wouldn't be safe.

I'd worry more about the busted connectors on the left than anything. If moisture gets in there it can ruin your ECM.

For parts, check out Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market. The website looks a little hacky but it's a well used resource. You can shop for parts and they'll even ship to you but I imagine shipping an entire front bumper would be costly. But it's an option.

Here's a quick search on front bumpers. There's a blue one on there for about $700. Look around, you might be able to find a yard close to you.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thank you. On the site you linked, I see a blue one with a photo for $700. For some reason it shows up twice in the results.

Description: NIQ,BAD TAB RS TOP,BLU,4DR/HB,C-NOTE Park assis
  • Is that description saying there are "bad tabs on right side?" Maybe there is a way tassembly?
they list a email for contacts. But no phone number. Not sure why they list the the office hrs but not a phone number.
But You can ask them directly

Reactions: saltsman

·
Registered
35 Posts
Going to have issue with charge port door also because 2013 is electroically triggered that seems to be from different year possibly newer but not sure as I thought I saw they removed it for simplicity sake and of course cost factors but anyway .... wheel liner also was damaged your car if being fixed by you I would have zip tied ECU zip tied up and re used your existing parts you wheel liner and bumper... if you are not able to get it fixed by good repair shop where depending on your area might be next to impossible to find because they are where I am with my 2013 volt in WV.... I have done most repairs myself which sometimes take longer than planned but on positive side over 200,000 miles original battery ... might look for a water damaged volt and try to buy its engine ecu because mount might work.... possible Cruze engine ECI uses a mount that could work but I doubt it seems like wheel bearings hubs brakes and not sure what else actually crosses over...... we can probably blame them some how for our mechanical water pump on the engine/generator......... anyway sorry for ranting I’m typing while standing on a iPad and not. Wanting to wake my dog while looking to see what drivers side cv axle I need to get be it from gm or a company that refurbishes them...... one more thing that might help that drivers side wheel liner has so many connections point all over to car body other liners inner fender stamped pieces etc you can probably loose 5 or more mounting locations and still hold it in place I would be worried about large crack in the pictured one..... I’ll be on here over next couple days if have any specific questions about that area you can pm and I can probably answer again sorry for so much text so little help but I’m past the point of re reading and editing hope it helps some

1 - 13 of 13 Posts