GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Volt Forum members !

Has anyone seen a Volt on a dealer lot that only has the Safety 1 package, instead of Safety 1 and Safety 2 ?

I figure I can keep myself in my own lane, and cars ahead of me are the first thing I look for. Safety 2 seems like it's adding complexity and cost for little benefit.

But I'd like to have the backup camera, because of the Volt's well-known poor visibility.

And I'm a nitpicky cheapskate who doesn't want a fully loaded vehicle.

So far whenever I see Safety 1, it's combined with leather seats and Safety 2.

I realize I could order one with my specific options, but that would eliminate any bargaining power I have with the dealership. See the item above about picky and cheap.

It's OK for the answer to be "get both Safety 1 and 2, you'll be glad you did". I'm just curious what other folks have seen on dealer lots in terms of feature mixes.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I was lucky to find one exactly like that. Unfortunately, dealers have been skimpy with stocking Volts lately, so finding a car with your exact specs is very difficult

·
4,852 Posts
I'll say that safety option 2 adds some nice parking sensors for the front which complements the rear parking sensors from safety option 1 nicely. The forward collision alert can be handy as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My first Volt had only the Safety 1 features but my new one has both. I've only had the new Volt for a few days and of the four "features" I've only experienced "forward collision alert", which is an annoying alarm if you're within a foot or so of anything. Since my driveway is tight when backing out I'm always reminded that I'm close to a wall next to my driveway or my wife's car. My initial observation is that it's a waste of $600.

As for removing your ability to negotiate, that's only partly true. My local Chevy dealer gave me a great deal on a vehicle I ordered and was happy to sell a car he knew he didn't have to inventory. Make sure you're aware of all incentives and you should do fine. That said, this is not the time of year to try and special order a Volt, there are just too many sitting on dealer lots.

Have you tried cars.com? There are currently 7,319 new Volts for sale there. Even if you scale back to 500 miles, you should be able to locate the vehicle you want. If you find one, you can negotiate directly or possibly get your local dealer to bring the car in for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My 2014 has only Safety 1 without Safety 2. I feel the same way as santafe2. I am not a fan of safety 2. If safety 2 included adaptive cruise control, then maybe. It has the sensors. So why shouldn't it? But it doesn't. So not a fan.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
My '13 has Safety 1 as the one and only option. I've read this will be a federally mandated feature soon on all cars.

I would have liked to find heated cloth seats but I ended with a really low OTD price!

I use amazon heated pad on the driver's seat and cloth seat covers for the winter months.
The covers are off now and the stock beige seats are so nice in the summer !

Yep, keep searching and buy yourself a cheap airline ticket to pick up the car you really want.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'll say that safety option 2 adds some nice parking sensors for the front which complements the rear parking sensors from safety option 1 nicely. The forward collision alert can be handy as well.
We have safety 1&2. I'm not a fan of the forward collision alert (although it has jarred me from my reverie once or twice when someone slams on their brakes ahead of me), and the lane alert is a toss up between irritating and that reverie thing again when I lose focus for a few moments.

The reason we bought safety 2 is a) we had to buy from dealer stock to take advantage of $5000 off MSRP (which more than paid for safety 2) and b) we cannot see the front of the car for parallel parking. I don't think anyone can. The front sensors are just as good as seeing.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I had no problem finding Safety 1 only. Finding one with Safety 1 and red paint required a little more searching, but my dealer didn't want to lose the sale over paint color so they did a dealer transfer from 200 miles away and sold it for the same price I was going to pay for the silver one on the lot.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 2014 has only Safety 1 without Safety 2. I feel the same way as santafe2. I am not a fan of safety 2. If safety 2 included adaptive cruise control, then maybe. It has the sensors. So why shouldn't it? But it doesn't. So not a fan.
Good point, adaptive cruise control would add some cost but is a great feature on the highway. I just looked at the manual and FCA can be turned off on the 2014 Volt with a control on the steering wheel. I'll turn mine off today.

And if anyone wants a good laugh, see below or read the Owner Manual, 9-40, "Unnecessary Alerts".

"FCA may sometimes set unnecessary alerts to turning vehicles, vehicles in other lanes, objects that are not vehicles, or shadows. These alerts are normal operation and the vehicle does not need service."

I'd like to interpret this for Volt owners: FCA does not work very well, please don't bother us with questions.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My 2014 has Safety 1 only as well. Bought it off the dealer lot.
IMO Safety 2 isn't really a necessity, but the backup cam and sensors in Safety 1 package are (you also get the auto dimming rear view mirror). I crossed Volts without Safety 1 off my list from day one when I was ready to purchase.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I also have a 2014 with safety 1 only, and was lucky to find the right color I wanted - silver-ice metalic.
I feel the same way about, I feel that I am good enough driver to be able to live without option 2 features -lane departure warning and parking assist. If i need to be warned that I am departing from my lane, I am not paying attention to my driving, dangering myself and others. Mine as well switch seat and be a passenger if i can not keep my eyes on the road.
Parking assist, again .. if I have not mastered parking yet, well... then I guess I should have opted for a Lexus with -self parking- options.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts

·
2,356 Posts
I only wanted Safety 1, ended up with Safety 1&2 in order to get the colour I wanted. I like it. I imagine all new cars will have FCA and LDW before too long - might as well get used to it. The guy who was tailgating me yesterday, swerving while texting on his phone and tapping away to the music, could defintely use it. Although he'd probably turn it off since he's such a good driver and doesn't need it.

·
4,852 Posts
We have safety 1&2. I'm not a fan of the forward collision alert (although it has jarred me from my reverie once or twice when someone slams on their brakes ahead of me), and the lane alert is a toss up between irritating and that reverie thing again when I lose focus for a few moments.

The reason we bought safety 2 is a) we had to buy from dealer stock to take advantage of $5000 off MSRP (which more than paid for safety 2) and b) we cannot see the front of the car for parallel parking. I don't think anyone can. The front sensors are just as good as seeing.
I generally don't like the lane departure alert, though on long trips I find it extremely helpful and convenient.

The forward collision alert has saved me a couple times which, for me, makes it worth it.

The front parking sensors are also handy in a tight spot or when you're doing lots of turning to park in a tight area.

Just my $0.02. It's obviously a preference thing as to whether or not people want them, but I don't personally regret it at all.

For the OP's reference, I bought with Safety 2 because that's what was available, I wasn't specifically looking for it and had also planned just for Safety 1 previously.

·
4,852 Posts
Looking out the windsheild while moving is more handy.
Yes. Taking that logic further, we shouldn't have any features to help us drive...

Come on Elemental, tell me you've never been distracted by something while on the road, such as a good looking lady. Oh, now you remember... :p

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Yes. Taking that logic further, we shouldn't have any features to help us drive...

Come on Elemental, tell me you've never been distracted by something while on the road, such as a good looking lady. Oh, now you remember... :p
Well, of course......But her head was in my lap at the time. :)

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Hello, Volt Forum members !

Has anyone seen a Volt on a dealer lot that only has the Safety 1 package, instead of Safety 1 and Safety 2 ?

I ....
I have, but that doesn't mean there are many near you. Ihave both, safety 1 is very helpful, safety 2 is fun and interesting, but not essential. it helps my teenagers remind me that I am drifting about my lane, and having the CC shutoff when someone cuts into that little space I have in front of me is kind of cool... but not essential I suggest that you use true-car, (or Consumer reports, which runs through the true car ) and enter "exactly" what you want. you will have dealers sending you emails shortly... I has worked for me for my last 2 car purchases..

·
Registered
409 Posts
Forward Collision alert and lane departure (safety 2) are kind of like seat belts and air bags ... you may never need them but if you do, they could save your life. I have had forward collision warnings about 10 times in a year and a half. Half were false warnings where it picked up a car on a curve in front of me slowing rapidly as it pulled into the left turn lane, but the other warnings were valid, coming on essentially at the same time I saw the situation and was preparing to break. If I had glanced away at the same momement the warning would have alerted me in time to break. Lane departure likes to nag when you do not use your blinker. Also, it sometimes picks up those long cracks in the roads which have a line of tar sealing them, it thinks these are lane markers and gives a false warning. However, it will warn you if you should start to drift out of your lane. For me, if you can afford the few extra $, both features are good, just like seat belts and airbags, should the situation arrive were you need them.

The front parking sensors only come on when you put the car in reverse or manually turn them on, then they stay on while at low speed. For me they are good for pulling in close to the parking curbs without scraping the low front airdam.

Bottom line, I purchsed both Safety 1 and 2 and am happy I did. What's a few extra hundred $ when the car cost nearly $40K (MY2013).

·
Registered
985 Posts
Forward Collision alert and lane departure (safety 2) are kind of like seat belts and air bags ... you may never need them but if you do, they could save your life.
My post is not directed to DesertVOlt, but a general statement.
That statement would be incorrect. Air bags and seatbelts are not like lane departure or forward collision warning. Air bag and seatbelts do thing you would not be able to do your self, such as anchoring your self to the seat or putting an air filled pillow between your head and the steering wheel.
Namely, at 50 mph hitting an object or oncoming car, your head would hit the steering wheel or windshield, your knees would be crushed under the dash or in worst case your body would be ejected from the car through the windshield.

lane departure warning as well as forward collision is just dumbing down our driving skill, same thing with parking assist or a self parking car.
Simple, watch the road and stay in your lane.
forward collision... follow other cars with safe following distance, keep eye on the road.
Now... if you are a serial text-er or otherwise regularly distracted driver, then yes those extra features will help.
OK, I am off my soap box now.
happy thoughts ...goosfraba !

1 - 20 of 34 Posts