GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there is no spare tire, and the stock tires are weak and pop so easily, has anyone found another brand of tire that works on the volt and isn't so delicate?

I know the tires were selected for certain reasons - noise, low rolling resistance, ride quality - but there are a ton of reports of these things getting flats or blowing out incredibly easily.

I might be willing to go with a louder tire with less MPG if it will mean I don't end up stranded on the side of the road after hitting a pothole.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Just about anything will be stronger, and it is easy to get quieter tires that also ride better, handle better and last longer. You usually have to give up a little efficiency. I use the Continental TrueContacts and am very happy with them and would recommend them. There are lots of threads on these and other options.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm running Michelin Primacy MXV4's great tires. On any replacement tire check the tread width, the OEM Goodyears are slightly less than 7". The Michelin's I'm running have 7.3" tread width. Don't go any wider or range and fuel mileage suffer. Tire rack .com has a spec page which shows tread width, max load, revs per mile etc.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Since you don't actually seem to have a Volt, maybe it would be best to wait and see if you have any problems. My 2011 with nearly 40k miles has never had any issues, your experience might be the same. Yes, I (or my wife) have curbed the tires on more than one occasion without "pops" or "blowing out". The postings on this forum represent a small portion of the Volt owners. Certainly not "tons" of reports. Inflated claims doesn't make it accurate.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
137 Posts
I went over 30K miles on the original OEM tires on my 2012 before I had a sidewall leak and had to replace the front pair (kept the good one for a spare). Purchased two new OEM tires, and I am now over 50K miles. It looks like I will have to replace the last two original tires here in the next couple of thousand miles, and I plan on more of the OEM tires.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I replaced the OEM with Michelin A/S Premiers. I did lose a few miles of range (maybe 2-4?) but got better handling and performance. Overall I think it was worth it. My other choices would have been the Pirelli and the Continental ones mentioned. There have been quite a number of threads on this topic so a little poking around should give you more information.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Since 2013 I have not had any sidewall problems with the OE Goodyear tires. Just one flat caused by a drywall nail that was fixable.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Just about anything will be stronger, and it is easy to get quieter tires that also ride better, handle better and last longer. You usually have to give up a little efficiency. I use the Continental TrueContacts and am very happy with them and would recommend them. There are lots of threads on these and other options.
I have the Continental PureContacts, and while they seem really good, I have seen about 10% range loss, even after 5K miles. I've read the TrueContacts have better rolling resistance, so if I had to do it again, I would go with the TrueContacts. Thanks to Continental for making this all so confusing.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My '13 has a set of Hankook Ventus S1 nobel2 and I'm very pleased with how they perform. I bought the car used and it already had them so I don't have any experience with OEM but I do know I currently have about 41 miles on the GOM from a low of about 30-32 in winter. I'm expecting higher by the time summer gets underway as I saw as high as 44 before the weather began cooling. I keep my pressures between 42-44 so that helps with range a bit too.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I run Michelin Defenders on both my 2013s. Has a deep tread, 90k mile guarantee and roadside towing and super quite. However, the common theme is loss of EV range. I suspect it is due to the weight. The aftermarket tires are much heavier.

I did not like the OEM Goodyears because of noise, range, and the fact they seem to get flats too easily. Had 3 flats on 2 cars. Before that, had not had a flat in more than 10 years.

The range loss doesn't seem like much but for one of my Volts I lost range for the tires, then replaced the wheels and lost range there. So total on one Volt I lost about 6 miles with the new tire/wheel combo. The other Volt running Defenders with stock rims I lost about 4 miles. Seems that no matter the tire you choose (if it is not the same tire that came with the Volt) you will lose mileage.

·
Administrator
20,188 Posts
Since you don't actually seem to have a Volt, maybe it would be best to wait and see if you have any problems. My 2011 with nearly 40k miles has never had any issues, your experience might be the same. Yes, I (or my wife) have curbed the tires on more than one occasion without "pops" or "blowing out". The postings on this forum represent a small portion of the Volt owners. Certainly not "tons" of reports. Inflated claims doesn't make it accurate.
Same here. Over 50k miles on my tires. They haven't "popped" or blown out. I expect to get the full, factory rated 60k miles from them, maybe more.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06. I have been getting 4 miles/KWh on these, and the grip on them are just phenomenal!!!

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
We have a few cars, and the Volts with the factory tires around were picking up far more nail punctures than our other cars and trucks. So now, one car sports 18" custom wheels and sport tires, and two are running Pirelli self-sealing. The 18" package is not getting as good of economy as stock, but the Pirellis are now about identical to stock range, even though they are wider and have more grip.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Our 2012 has a touch under 50K miles. We don't travel on gravel roads and the majority of the miles are Interstate (eg. Toronto to Florida). Oh, and sometimes little jaunts in the hay field. There is lots of tread left - 60K is a definite possibility. I do carry a CTS alloy spare, but only used it once when I first tried to solve a recalcitrant TPS. That problem still comes and goes. I`ve read about blowouts and sidewall cracks, but honestly, I think where you drive has a direct correlation to these issues.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Since you specifically stated "safer", I would suggest DriveGuard run flat tires by Bridgestone. RFT is like driving electric, you will never want to go back to the old ways.
I have the same. About 15,000 miles on them now. Definite range loss of 10 to 15 % (4 miles or so). Overinflation doesn't help, they're just too darn heavy.

They handle slightly better on the road than the OEM, but are a little more "jiggly" over rough uneven roads, likely due to stiff sidewalls.

With that said, I've hit several what I thought were guaranteed "blowout" potholes in BOTH the Driveguards AND the OEM Goodyears without an issue.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Get the Continental TrueContacts. Don't let Continental confuse you - they like to stick the word Contact at the end of all their tire names it seems. There's the PureContacts, the ProContacts, the ControlContact, and the SureContacts. As far as the volt is concerned the TrueContacts and the PureContacts will fit, with the TrueContacts having slightly better numbers on the comparison charts. Either one is probably fine - if you can get a significantly better deal on one or the other, go for it. Also the Pirelli's already mentioned are comparable.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I live in the mountains with wet, slippery snow conditions about six months of the year and state traction regulations requiring snow tires on vehicles driving over mountain passes during snowstorms. Therefore, I bought Michelin X-Ice tires. Performance on snow and ice is superior to an all-season tire.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts