GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 110 charger set up in my garage. When I leave for work, obviously I unplug the charger from the car. Is there any downside to leaving the charger plugged into the wall outlet?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
If you read your Owner's Manual, you will find that GM recommends that you leave the car plugged in. I guess that the only time that you might want to unplug the EVSE from the house outlet and from the car is when an electrical storm is passing through because a surge in voltage on the line might destroy the EVSE or the car's circuitry.

·
8,680 Posts
There's no more risk to leaving the EVSE plugged in than there is in leaving a microwave or DVR plugged in. Without the car specifically asking for it, there's no power over 12V at the J1772 end. The EVSE will draw a tiny bit of power while plugged in, but not enough to worry about.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you read your Owner's Manual, you will find that GM recommends that you leave the car plugged in. I guess that the only time that you might want to unplug the EVSE from the house outlet and from the car is when an electrical storm is passing through because a surge in voltage on the line might destroy the EVSE or the car's circuitry.[/QUOTE]

We will be away for a month, and I plan to unplug my hardwired EVSE, for the reasons stated.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
390 Posts
My EVSE has been continuously plugged in to a 240v outlet via a dongle for almost two years with no apparent ill effects.

ETA ... and I live in Florida with frequent lightning.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
You're actually better off leaving it plugged in. This reduces the wear and tear on the outlet itself. Mine only gets unplugged when I'm going to take mine with me.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
If you use the EVSE most days then leave it plugged in. Be sure not to leave the EVSE electronics unit hanging, supported only by the power plug. This will stress the molded plug connection and over time will cause the plug it to fail. Use wall anchors and screws or a hook to suspend the EVSE, relieve the tension on the power cord.

I leave my ClipperCreek LCS-20P plugged into a NEMA 14-50R all of the time. Once a year it is a good idea to unplug and then plug in the EVSE power cord to clean the plug contact points. Frequent plugging and unplugging of a 230V outlet is not recommended, this will cause the 230V receptacle to loosen its hold on the plug.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
mine has been in use ( outside car port ) for x= 2018 - 2012 9 where is Java math when you need it.

Hard for bugs to get inside a socket when connected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts