GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
One plug to rule them all, if drivers can ever find them.
And those that find the Frankenplug, it's ugliness will surely blind them.

Okay...who's next?

Seriously, though, I'm glad they finalized a standard, even if I think it's ugly and portly.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Tesla will adopt the SAE standard. I don't care much about the Japanese. They can keep they EVs in Japan.
I seriously doubt Tesla will adopt that standard. They will probably make an adapter cable, though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hate to break the news, but CHAdeMO isn't just in Japan anymore. It's already deployed in Norway, where the Leaf is selling well. And I would say there are just enough Leafs in Norway already (and there certainly will be by the time any cars with a different standard get there) using CHAdeMO that they will not allow the CHAdeMO chargers to be taken away. Especially after the Norwegian government has heavily subsidized customer purchases of Leafs (no sales VAT tax (25%!), free tolls on all roads and ferries, etc.)

Given the cost of the charging unit, supporting electrical hookups, the real estate (the concrete island, parking spots, permits, etc.), I think it should be a relatively small cost to retrofit quick chargers with several plug hoses, or provide newer units with both plugs and any variations in the electronics needed.

Last I checked, there are quite a few CHAdeMO chargers in the US already too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts