GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be going on Ebay Sunday night if anyone is interested. I will be starting the auction at $1,485.00

"2013 Cobalt Blue Chevy Volt Premier For Parts or Repair - Dead Main Battery,N/R!"

I purchased this Chevy Volt 6 months ago and absolutely LOVED it it until….the 3rd section of the main battery died (as diagnosed by Chevrolet). So, I am selling it as a parts car or for repair. The car will start to wake up if the 12 volt battery is charged, the digital displays light up, but there is no power to the wheels. You will have to tow or transport this.

This was a salvage title car that had fairly minimal (for a salvage) damage to it so that is why I purchased it, after it was fixed, with a Rebuilt Title. There was no frame damage and no air bags were deployed. I have the photos that were presented to the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles showing the original damage (see the last 4 photos). These are required to obtain a Rebuilt Title.

This is the Premier model with leather interior, NAV, Back-up Camera and cruise control. The exterior has some scratches and road rash and a small 1” ding on the rear hatch. The interior is in good condition with wear you might expect on a 5 year old car. I set the “B” trip odometer when I purchased the car and I have put 5,441 miles on the car (photo #11). With a lifetime MPG of 211, the gas engine only has about 12,000 miles on it – the rest of the mileage was all electric. The engine is in near mint condition.

When I bought it, I have every intention of keeping it for many years, so I had the transmission and engine oil changed ahead of schedule as well as the cooling systems flushed and I put in new plugs (didn’t need them because they looked almost new, but I wanted to start fresh with everything) and had all the software and navigation updates installed. I have receipts. I also put in a new AGM glass mat battery 2 months ago. Click this to see 4 minute videohttps://youtu.be/9SB53M87j94 P1040750.jpg P1040745.jpg

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,577 Posts
Is there a link to the pictures that I'm not seeing? What was the dealer's quote for the replacement section? Wouldn't you net more by fixing it and then selling it, or do you suspect too many other things may be failing and you don't want the responsibility?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a link to the pictures that I'm not seeing? What was the dealer's quote for the replacement section? Wouldn't you net more by fixing it and then selling it, or do you suspect too many other things may be failing and you don't want the responsibility?
The dealers quote was too high for me to justify it. For the right person with access to salvage/rebuilt batteries and the expertise to put it all together, it would make sense, but I have neither. Humm, the photos load for me when I click on them, so I'm not sure what is going on?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are more photos in the Ebay auction, but I could only load 2 photos on this site.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
What was the dealer's quote for the replacement section? Wouldn't you net more by fixing it and then selling it, or do you suspect too many other things may be failing and you don't want the responsibility?
What responsibility? Private cars sales are "as is" unless a warranty is expressed. I would think it would be worth fixing. I've seen a YouTube video where a guy has bought a number of complete batteries from wrecked Volts for $1500 I believe it was for various projects he has in mind. I too would like to know the dealer's battery replacement quote (only needs one of the three sections replaced).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What responsibility? Private cars sales are "as is" unless a warranty is expressed. I would think it would be worth fixing. I've seen a YouTube video where a guy has bought a number of complete batteries from wrecked Volts for $1500 I believe it was for various projects he has in mind. I too would like to know the dealer's battery replacement quote (only needs one of the three sections replaced).
$6,000 for just section 3, $9,000 for entire battery

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$6,000 for just section 3, $9,000 for entire battery
The chevy dealer that the car was towed to and quoted the battery work was NOT the dealer that did the maintenance work I enumerated.

·
Registered
622 Posts
There are shops that rebuild Prius batteries. I am hoping this capability will expand to other hybrids including the Volt. Did you investigate hybrid battery rebuild shops?

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
The chevy dealer that the car was towed to and quoted the battery work was NOT the dealer that did the maintenance work I enumerated.
Bummer. Sorry that didn't work out. We had to get the 3rd section of our battery replaced as well in our 2011. Luckily it was under warranty.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
The dealers quote was too high for me to justify it. For the right person with access to salvage/rebuilt batteries and the expertise to put it all together, it would make sense, but I have neither. Humm, the photos load for me when I click on them, so I'm not sure what is going on?
This might interest you, or this guy might want the car: https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?321946-A-guide-to-swapping-your-Gen-1-Volt-battery-at-home&highlight=replace+battery

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are shops that rebuild Prius batteries. I am hoping this capability will expand to other hybrids including the Volt. Did you investigate hybrid battery rebuild shops?
I am hesitant to go that route because I would have to transport to who knows where and then I would still end up with a car with no warranty. I'm too old to do the work involved myself.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I would say there is a lot of labour built into those quotes. Ideal for somebody who doesn't mind laying on his back for a bit after scrounging up a battery from auto wreckers. There are people like that (see above link). Lust have to find them. Good luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would say there is a lot of labour built into those quotes. Ideal for somebody who doesn't mind laying on his back for a bit after scrounging up a battery from auto wreckers. There are people like that (see above link). Lust have to find them. Good luck.
If there are any people in central Florida that can do this type of work, send me a message.

·
Registered
353 Posts
When I bought my 2014 Volt new, I had read that a new battery, was approx. $3000.00 plus labor. Not true?

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
When I bought my 2014 Volt new, I had read that a new battery, was approx. $3000.00 plus labor. Not true?
"plus labor" does not equal "free labor". If I lived near I would be so tempted.

·
Registered
224 Posts
There are shops that rebuild Prius batteries.
So true but it's also such a simple, straight forward process that it's also DIY project. I know because I've done it along with countless others.

The problem with the Volt is the battery size, location and TMS. A high lift is needed to access and remove the pack which pretty much rules out most DIY folks at home. Oh that and the fact most folks can't access the necessary software to activate it.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
So true but it's also such a simple, straight forward process that it's also DIY project. I know because I've done it along with countless others.

The problem with the Volt is the battery size, location and TMS. A high lift is needed to access and remove the pack which pretty much rules out most DIY folks at home. Oh that and the fact most folks can't access the necessary software to activate it.
As I understand it the thread on this, the guy raised the Volt 21". A few years ago I got a set of Samona hydraulic lifts/jackstands from Costco ($36 Cdn each on sale) that in total would lift 21" just enough for the bellhousing to clear the frame on my TR7 Spider when I dropped the transmission to change the clutch). That would work here. As for software, surely by hook or by crook.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts