GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Volt drivers,

There have been two gatherings of Leaf drivers in the Sacramento area already, and the second was at an "Earth Day Festival" in Roseville.

The "Earth Day" gathering was less of an "EV social" and more of an "EV information and promotion" setting where Leaf, Volt, Tesla, and home-built EV vehicles were showcased and presented to the (mostly uninformed) attendees.

Getting the word out about how neat EV driving is and can be was a great experience at the Roseville gathering, and I am trying to see if we can set up a "Sacramento Area Gathering #3" perhaps at a shopping mall or even the central Cosco (Cal Expo Costco) on some

Saturday in June????

I am proposing that we consider getting permission for high traffic reserved parking for a dozen or so Leaf and Volt owner cars where we can "hang around" for 3-4 hours to promote EV driving to the "unwashed and uninformed."

Anybody here interested in coming with their cars and time?

What Saturday would work best for you in June?
Any other suggestion for locations?
Any other suggestions in general?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Today I talked with a CARB staff member and she owns a Leaf; she says she and perhaps several other CARB staff might be able to connect with a June EV gathering. We might also be able to get SMUD staff to bring some of their EVs????

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fellow Volt drivers,

We now have clearance for an owners/driver's drive-in EV promotion day at the Cal-Expo REI parking lot on June 18 from 10 am to around 3 pm with our cars getting primo parking near the front door. I am hopeful that we can gather happy Volt drivers and Leaf drivers and even maybe a Tesla and simply "hang out" to answer questions from the really poorly informed public. No selling; no dealers just "real user experience" with plug-in electric cars.

Maybe bring a bag lunch, and we will picnic in the parking lot, socialize, compare the fun and foibles of our new rides, and still be available to education and outreach the general public which so far are simply not "getting it" about what the new generation of EVs can do.

You can reply directly RSVP to me at:
[email protected]

I am trying as noted above, to get SMUD staff and/or vehicles and maybe some CARB staff also to come ....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Met today with SMUD EV promotion staff, and they will bring out a table for our gathering on 18 June. We have a number of Leaf owners coming, but who is going to show up to spread the Volt Vision?

RSVP to me here or simply at my direct email: [email protected]

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Met today with SMUD EV promotion staff, and they will bring out a table for our gathering on 18 June. We have a number of Leaf owners coming, but who is going to show up to spread the Volt Vision?

RSVP to me here or simply at my direct email: [email protected]
Sounds like a very worthy endeavour George!
Going to "sticky: this thread for at least the time being...
WOT

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rusty,
First, Sacramento allows the Volt full EV recognition with FREE downtown gated garage parking. One must apply for the permit, at NO charge and you get pass cards that get you into the downtown gated parking structures and several of those have J1772 charging stations installed or SOON to be installed.

Second, looking forward to seeing other Volts besides mine show up on Saturday. I connected with the Davis area EV group last Saturday and some of them may be coming over; they had a number of the Nissan Leaf cars, a couple of Volts and even a Tesla show up for a casual "owners social" at a Davis area pastry shop.

I am getting a box of Nissan Leaf brochures coming FedEx from Nissan today, and I have printed up a few handouts on our house (full Solar PV and hot water systems) and pictures of both our Leaf and Volt in the home garage...along with an article that Consumer Reports did on our cars and house.

AND, EARLY ARRIVALS on Saturday (I will be there cordoning off our parking area in front of the CalExpo REI store by 9:15 am) get their pick of the DONUTS I will be bringing. I suggest bringing a folding chair, sunscreen, and perhaps a cooler chest with chilled drinks for later as it does get a bit warm, though we will have the nicest day of the week for our gathering on Saturday !!!!

It should be fun doing "show and tell" to the masses about how good these new technology vehicles really are !

·
1,308 Posts
It should be a nice warm day and I'm looking forward to meeting folks and hanging out. I plan to drive from the SF Bay Area so I'll be there closer to 10am. It's going to be a 240+ mile round trip but I plan to charge up at home and a couple of times on the road so I can drive on the battery for 100+ miles. My goal is to keep the entire trip under 3.3333333333333333333 gallons of gas and I may need every last drop.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeff,
Cool, looking forward to meeting you. I will even be sure and save you a donut or two...chocolate or maple or ?

We make frequent trips to Daly City from Sacramento with our Volt, as my wife's family are there. Even with many of those in the last 6 months (we got our Volt in early January), we are at just over 100 mpg, and it could be higher, but I never try to get a further charge when the car is sitting at her parent's or sister's house.

What color is your Volt, by the way?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sacramento EV Owners Wrap-Up Report:

We had, at one time 8 Leaf cars, 8 Volt cars and a Tesla and a Sparrow. Late in the day as some of the early arrivals had left, we had a second Tesla arrive, so toward the end we had two of the Tesla Roadsters !

Nissan sent informational material, but I was not able to connect with the right people at GM to get Volt promo material for this gathering (next time?).

We had plenty of cars and a trickle from 10 am to 3 pm of interested REI shoppers coming by to check out the new technology. We had a pop-up tent staffed by our local electric utility to answer questions about charging costs and rate options.

Game plan is probably to do another such "education gathering" and owner's social at the SMUD office headquarters (where they actually have J1772 charge points) in late August. One of our attendees is going to work up a facebook page on the gathering, and I will post that information as he finalizes those photos...

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
When is Sacramento going to agree that the Volt is generally an EV, and low polluting?
Do you mean the state or the city?
Well, the city doesn't really count while the state has an attitude. While there's a bill wending its way through the legislature, last I heard it's still illegal to park a Volt at a parking spot with approved state signage saying it's an EV only spot. California doesn't consider the Volt (or a PiP) to be an EV. One could argue about a PiP, but the Volt's pretty clear cut.

Likewise even though I typically drive 3-5 weeks at a time without burning any gas, and producing no emissions, the state considers my Volt to be just as much a polluter as a Yukon, as far as HOV and on-ramps are concerned.

·
1,308 Posts
It's going to be a 240+ mile round trip but I plan to charge up at home and a couple of times on the road so I can drive on the battery for 100+ miles. My goal is to keep the entire trip under 3.3333333333333333333 gallons of gas and I may need every last drop.
I failed. The event, however, was a success. Thanks to George and whoever else for organizing it!

I ended up using 3.34 gallons of gas over 163.6 miles in hybrid mode at an average speed of 55 mph for a gas-only average of 49 mpg (74.6 mpg combined). The total trip was 249.1 miles so an addition 85.5 miles were on battery with supplemental partial charges of an estimated 30 miles in Vacaville and 23 in Pleasant Hill. The relatively high gas mileage is partially due to the battery doing some of the heavy lifting while crossing the hills between the Eastern SF Bay and the Central Valley.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Well, the city doesn't really count while the state has an attitude. While there's a bill wending its way through the legislature, last I heard it's still illegal to park a Volt at a parking spot with approved state signage saying it's an EV only spot. California doesn't consider the Volt (or a PiP) to be an EV. One could argue about a PiP, but the Volt's pretty clear cut.

Likewise even though I typically drive 3-5 weeks at a time without burning any gas, and producing no emissions, the state considers my Volt to be just as much a polluter as a Yukon, as far as HOV and on-ramps are concerned.
CARB members at the event? There should be more of these events and you can tell CARB members what you think about the policy. Maybe write a white paper on the parameters for allowing range extended EV's or plug-in-hybrids into the little park and charge club.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts