GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
National Electric Vehicle Sweden AB—a Chinese-Japanese investment group—agreed to buy Saab Automobile and convert the bankrupt Swedish manufacturer into a maker of electric cars.

Saab would be entering a market that includes the Chevrolet Volt, made by former owner General Motors Co., and Fisker Automotive Inc.'s $103,000 Karma hybrid gasoline-electric sports car.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2012/06/13/bloomberg_articlesM5JM910D9L3501-M5K4M.DTL

As an aside, the story authors are pretty bad. They talk about Volt fires "The country's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is looking into the safety of lithium-ion batteries amid instances of fires involving the Volt and the Karma." and the article is June 13!!!

saab_logo.jpg

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
How sad. Both the loss of Saab and the dumb comments in the article. Thanks for the interesting link.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I couldn't help but comment.

"You wrote that the Volt & Karma "have been the subject of U.S. probes following vehicle fires" & "National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is looking into the safety of lithium-ion batteries amid instances of fires involving the Volt and the Karma"
Your story would be more "fair & balanced" if you added that the NHTSA had already found that the Chevy Volt was as safe or safer than internal combustion engine based cars. That's why it has a 5 Star Crash Rating. Every year there are many thousands of car fires in normal internal combustion type vehicles. Not even 1 fire has been attributed to a plug-in electric like the Chevy Volt in normal use. The only fire a Chevy Volt has been involved with was a car that was crashed during testing by the NHTSA and then left with the batteries connected in a salvage yard for 3 weeks until finally catching fire due to a leak & short-circuit. One of the first things that fire fighters do at a crash scene after a serious crash with an internal combustion vehicle is drain the gas tank to avoid a fire. Not disconnecting the batteries of a Chevy Volt after a serious crash is equal to leaving a car full of gasoline. If you get the impression that I'm pro Chevy Volt, you're right. I've owned one for 3 months and it's the best car I've ever owned in 32 years of driving and I use almost no gas to run it."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts