GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
13,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a car site, but a riding mower is close, right.

It looks like Ryobi just released an electric riding mower.

https://www.ryobitools.com/electric-riding-mower/

It looks almost like an ATV with a steering wheel. I only wish it had a bigger deck as my smallest mower is 54". Still, we might get one for my wife to mow along the edges as I blast through the middle of the lawn with my JD Zero turn.

Hat tip to Norm51 for PMing me about this mower. At $2499, it's cheaper than a Cub Cadet or a Mean agreed. But my dream mower would have a 54" or bigger deck, charge with level 2 J1772, and has 4 hours or so of battery mowing capacity. Awd with a spring suspension would also be nice.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I wouldn't mind getting a battery riding mower. But I do worry about riding mower battery life in the Texas Summer.

I use an EGO 21" 56v/7.5a self propelled mower to supplement my gasoline riding mower. The EGO is good for 45-60min which is about half my yard, but that's as much as I'll do at one time especially in the heat of the summer. The battery pops out to charges in 60 minutes, and I normally keep the battery inside when not mowing.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I just upgraded my old lead acid electric mower to a new Snapper 60V 21" Li-ion mower. So much lighter and more powerful. I only have a 1/3 acre, so I don't need a fancy expensive ride-on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That thing is really nice and would fit my yard/home. However the gas rear engine riding mower with a Honda motor running on gas for $899.00 would outlast and still use less gas in 5 years than this thing cost outright. hmmm which makes me think maybe I could find an old one and convert it!

·
4,867 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Still using my 37 year old corded Sears Craftsman electric lawnmower. My lawn isn't super big, so it still works just fine for me. :D

·
Registered
495 Posts
Ryobi has a reputation for very cheap, entry level power tools. Typically marketed to young homeowners just entering the fray.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Good to see more choices coming to market. Seems a little bit small for what they say is suitable for 2 acres. Our old very worn Yard King (Murray) with 54 inch deck is about right for our yard that is about an acre and a quarter. I use our push type Ego electric in smaller areas, but sometimes get carried away and do the whole yard and this is a bit much for me these days.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Ryobi can be hit or miss. A neighbor had a brand new string trimmer that never worked properly, I opened it up and found they had forgotten to solder one of the wires to the motor, I fixed that and it worked great.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
That Ryobi looks like it is lead acid, they don't mention battery tech and I see 4 very large 12V looking batteries and given 48V rating, I imagine it uses 4 car batteries. Going to be heavy.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I don't have a riding mower, but I do have a self propelled 36v B&D / Ryobi conversion mower.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I would take a mean green over that thing. Looks cool but it seems to be a novelty at this point. I'll keep my hustler zeros for now. Not using 80 gallons a week in gas for mowers would be nice though.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
That Ryobi looks like it is lead acid, they don't mention battery tech and I see 4 very large 12V looking batteries and given 48V rating, I imagine it uses 4 car batteries. Going to be heavy.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-RM480e-38-in-Battery-Electric-Riding-Lawn-Mower-RY48110/300246266

It does.

If you go to the user manual it says on page 29/34 "This product uses lead acid batteries".

When it comes to riding mowers, electric just doesn't yet cut it. Electric push mowers seem to be getting a push lately, and maybe in a few years as the cost of the required lithium batteries drop further electric riding mowers will get a push.
I use a corded electric mower for my small* yard.

There is a hybrid mower out there (engine acts as a generator), but that's about $4k.

* It's small by local standards. The only reason I'd want more yard is to have allow me to have a greenhouse and more space to put snow.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
there are only a few electric push mowers that are also self propelled. SP is a must have for me.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

Do you have a link?
I bought mine at Walmart. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Snapper-SP60V-60V-Mower-Includes-4Ah-Battery-and-Charger/47389622

I already had the 60V batteries from their trimmer and leaf blower I bought last year. I bought the version without a battery on sale last month for $233.

Snapper now has a 82V version for this year. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Snapper-1687884-82V-Cordless-Lithium-Ion-21-in-Walk-Mower-Kit-with-2-0-Ah-Battery-Rapid-Charger/120865720

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
there are only a few electric push mowers that are also self propelled. SP is a must have for me.
I used to think that with my previous self propelled electric Ryobi mower with heavy lead acid batteries. My new mower is so light, I don't even need the self propelled feature anymore.

·
Administrator
20,347 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything from Ryobi. Their products are often returned in masses, very unreliable.
My variable speed, key-less Ryobi drill is about 15 years old and I use it all the time. It was $29, has a 10' cord. Plenty of power, user settable clutch, I would get another.

I'd be interested in an electric lawn tractor, but doubt the Ryobi would be able to replace my 4 wheel steer John Deere 425 with (hydraulic) 54" mower deck, 47" (hydraulic) direct drive snow blower. It's awesome when it comes to deep or wet snow.

Not me, but same setup:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Just reminds me why I am happy to have a townhouse - I hate gardening and mowing. And my Ryobi battery hand tools are great, haven't had an issue with any of the 9 of them except the driver drill is really weak in concrete. Ryobi's NiCad batteries sucked big time but the newer LiIon batteries are great for me. I have yet to deplete a 4AmpHr battery before the other is charged.

But for any outside work I would go with the Greenworks 80V battery system.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts