GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had your Volt rustproofed? Any input from our VA regarding this? I have had several vehicles rustproofed in the past and have been happy with the results. Very tangible differences between like models without rustproofing (Toyota Tundra). Ziebart has been the company of choice for me. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

3,598 Posts
@ rmanor,

It is not recommended to rustproof any GM vehicle.

2012 Chevrolet Warranty Manual (pg. 18):

Your vehicle was designed and built
to resist corrosion. Application of
additional rust-inhibiting materials is
neither necessary nor required
under the Sheet Metal Coverage.
GM makes no recommendations
concerning the usefulness or value
of such products.
Application of after-manufacture
rustproofing products may create an
environment which reduces the
corrosion resistance built into your
vehicle. Repairs to correct damage
caused by such applications are not
covered under your New Vehicle
Limited Warranty.

· Registered
14 Posts
I got my 2012 Volt on Dec 5 and the same day I brought it to Ziebart. I purchased a package deal: Rust Protection, Sound Barrier, Paint Protection, and Fabric /Leather Protection for $888.02. For me the cost is worth it since I like to keep my vehicles a long time.
I have a 2001 Chev Venture mini van that had the Ziebart Rust Protection put on when it was new. This is the first year that I am starting to see some surface rust on it.

· Administrator
23,443 Posts
Having trained rustproofing applicators in a distant past life, I will not being have it done to my own car.

Part of the process involves drilling many half inch holes into various areas of the car, leaving bright, shiny metal to start rusting (under a plastic cap). Also, the skill of the the people applying the goop into the nooks and crannies of where ever they are spraying varies widely. Plus, cars today are made with much better steel, often zinc coated and already rust resistant.

I live in snow country, have a 1997 that is just now starting to show some small rust spots, but almost all are from stones and grit hitting the front. The 1990 I sold for the Volt had a bit more, but nothing rust "proofing" would have prevented. Nether were rust proofed.

Instead, I had the clear bra treatment applied to the Volt. In my opinion, a much better value and less a waste of money. Just my opinion. YMMV.

· Registered
2,722 Posts
I thought rust proofing was a rip off option from shady dealers. My last two cars were factory stock and not an hint of rust on it after ten years.

· Registered
13 Posts
I thought about it after hearing that lots of people thought the read hatch was noisy but after driving the car for 2000 miles I can't see a reason to do it. I did put Clearshield on the front to resist rocks and chipping. Did it myself using a kit I ordered online from invisiblemask.com. I've always had it done but recently moved and there was no one here who could do it. I was surprised at how easy it was. Took me about 2 hours and I saved +/- $400 doing it myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.