GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I needed wipers badly during a storm and couldn't find the left and right Bosch Icons that I used last time.
Walmart to the rescue with the "ScrubBlade" Platinum on sale for $9.00 each.

What the hell is a "ScrubBlade"?
Basically it's a two blade system with fairly soft wipers and a set of triangular nubs on the outside edges. The idea is the nubs will "scrub" off bugs and crap and the trailing blade will actually wipe.

So how did they work?
Well first of all you really do have to understand the instructions to get them onto a Volt. Figuring it out is NOT something you want to be doing standing outside in a storm. You have to insert an adapter into the wiper arm on the Volt (keeping the "wings" on, some vehicle need you to remove them but you do need them on the volt), then you have to remove the "regular" connector from the blade itself (easily done by squeezing a couple of tabs) and then install the "X4" connector.

Once you have done all of this you get the nice advantage of being able to orient the blades and their "spoilers" for both left and right arms. The fit is tight in the wiper arms like it should be.

Now before I started actually using the wipers something caused me to sort of squeeze all along the blades and the clips at the ends. It was -good- that I did that because several of the little retainer tabs went "click" and finished seating and one of the end tabs was loose until I pushed it and then it locked firmly into place. I'm pretty sure that if I hadn't gone over the blades they would have come apart in short order under use. If you give these a shot make sure you check that they are fully snapped together.

Performance in light to heavy rain was excellent. The design kept the blades firmly on my windshield though there was an odd, quiet, "squishing" noise as they ran. I guess that was the "scrubber" parts making contact. It was not unpleasant for me but I wonder if it would be noisier under drier conditions.

General feeling and opinions:
Found some reviews of these blades and a lot of them are horrible. I suspect that some people didn't do the "squeeze test" I did and things weren't fully locked together. Still that is a definite quality control problem that simply shouldn't be happening. All the bad reviews have made me hyper-vigilant about these wipers.

They feel awfully soft and overly flexible to me. Possibly that helps the "scrubber" design, but I'm not sure how durable they are going to be when it comes to snow/ice and grit. Regardless, for right now (and the rains we're getting) they have been working very well for a week.

At $9.00 a blade (currently on clearance) I'm tempted to go buy another set to keep in reserve, but I am hesitant due to the bad reviews I've read. So basically I'm going to run them for a while longer and keep reviewing and see how it goes. If they hold up at all then a $18 set of emergency spares might just be worth having in the car.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've used the Goodyear blades from Costco in the past. They were HORRIBLE! I took them back. Only good experience with blades has been the Bosch's.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
If you search online, you can get the OEMs at a reasonable price. They have been great for me. I tried some premium aftermarket options, but was happy with none of them (or the wasted time and money). The OEMs just work.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you search online, you can get the OEMs at a reasonable price. They have been great for me. I tried some premium aftermarket options, but was happy with none of them (or the wasted time and money). The OEMs just work.
As I said, I was caught in a heavy downpour and needed new wipers right then.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My factory blades worked great. Replaced with Costco Goodyears and they are terrible. Going to go back to oem on these.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the same ones, they work great but man, they are so noisy.
Were they noisy at first or did they get noisy? Mine have been really quiet so far (4 days of rain, 8 hours of wipers on commute time)

·
Registered
11 Posts
My factory blades worked great. Replaced with Costco Goodyears and they are terrible. Going to go back to oem on these.
I second that. Saving a few dollars was nice, but the lower profile of the factory blades and the contact pattern is fuller with factory blades..

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE - Three Weeks of crap weather

So here we are at about three weeks since I put these blades on. We've had a lot of misty and full on rainy days and nights and so far so good.

The passengers side blade started to chatter a bit at the top of the stroke but when I inspected I noted that some pine-pitch had splattered there. A little wiping with some denatured alcohol on the window and blade cleaned it all off and back to working fine for me.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Four month update.
The wipers get a somewhat regular wipe down with a cloth and denatured alcohol to keep them clean and so far so good. I seem to have caught some grit or something on the very bottom of the passenger blade so now they leave a line in one direction down towards the bottom edge but it's not in line-of-sight so it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Seven Month Update

At the seven month mark and we've had a very rainy spring so the wipers have had a lot of use
I have some mixed feelings about the blades which I will detail below.

The overall windshield clearing/water removal performance has been great. On that basis alone I have been very satisfied with these wipers, however their ability to "scrub" off smooshed insects, bird poop, and so forth really doesn't seem to be any greater than any other quality wiper blade that I've used. That doesn't mean they are bad at it, just average.

The "leading" blade seems to be a bit more susceptible to gathering small nicks than most wiper blades I use. In function this is offset by the fact that there are dual blades, but the passenger side leaves three little "trails" on the "outstroke" now though they are cleared by the other blade on the "instroke" and the drivers side has developed one good sized nick down at the bottom giving similar performance. Fortunately none of the nicks are "line of sight" for me as the driver so I'm not bothered by them.

This design does tend to hold on to ice/snow, causing interference with performance in winter conditions. These are inferior "winter blades".

SUMMARY: I have been reasonably pleased with these wipers overall, especially given the minimal price I paid for them. However they will probably be replaced at the one year mark. Unless I find some on super sale it is unlikely that I'll seek out another set for my car at replacement time.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ten Month Update - Final Report

Ten Month Update - Final Report

The ten month update is little changed from the previous one. We've had a lot of very heavy rain and the wipers have been used very frequently this year. I continue my regular routine of wiping the blades down with a cloth and some denatured alcohol every few weeks and haven't noticed any additional nicks or deterioration of the blades.

On the plus side, when you are in an absolutely torrential downpour and running these blades at top speed they still do a first rate job of keeping the window clear, I mean as much as any wiper can when there is essentially buckets of water being dumped on your windshield.

Given the tendency to clog up with ice and snow that they showed last winter I have no doubt that I'll find some good "winter blades" when the snow flies, but overall I have to say that I'd buy another set of these wipers for spring/summer/fall weather again if the price was right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts