GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rotrex Launches Electrical Driven Fully Variable Supercharger for Fuel Cell, Hybrids, and Downsizing:

Link

Incredibly, it can spin at 300,000 rpm (typo?, fastest motor I've heard of spins at 100,000 rpm, they probably mean 30,000 rpm), so it seems the electrification of auto components is happening rapidly.

Soon, I am expecting to hear a Tier 1 supplier of transmissions to announce that they now have a multi-speed automatic transmission available for motors that go up to 20,000 rpm.

·
Registered
331 Posts
hmmm

I would think in an HEV or about anything with an ICE you would want to use a traditional turbocharger. Better to convert waste heat to increase efficiency than valuable electricity/range. I could see how it could be advantageous from a simplicity/reliability standpoint, but that's about it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I guess

I guess I just don't see how this would benefit a series hybrid where the turbo lag wouldn't be much of an issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's just good to have these options, allowing the turbo / supercharger to work ahead of the engine's speed, as opposed to lagging.
Well a supercharger, as in engine driven, generally doesnt have any lag, while turbochargers these days are light and quick enough to all but eliminate lag. And like tiger said, with a constant speed engine, the lag would be a nonissue. Looks like another case of an answer to a question that was never asked. Sorta like compound rotaries ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts