GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled upon this site and wanted to hear what you folks have to say about it:

http://white-smoke.wetpaint.com/page/Rotary+Engine

It's a rotary engine, but not derived from the Wankel design, and since its expansion ratio is greater than its compression ratio, it uses the Atkinson cycle rather than the Otto. It's a four-stroke cycle, but it has one power stroke per revolution because the rotors form expansion and compression chambers that operate in parallel. The author claims 30% more power and 10% less fuel consumption than an Otto cycle piston engine of twice its mass and displacement (both inducing the same volume of air). He also claims that the emissions are more fully oxidized because of the compressed air scavenge and therefore contain less NOx, CO, and particulates for the amount of fuel consumed.

The patent was filed in 2003 and granted in many nations between 2004 and 2005:

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?wo=2004020791

The author, who appears to be a mechanical engineering professor, claims to not understand why this engine design has not been commercialized. The inventor, Libralato Ruggero, has formed a company that intends to submit the engine to the EC for verification of efficiency and emissions in 2009 and to begin mass production by 2012. The device is mentioned at freeenergynews.com, so the hoax potential cannot be dismissed outright.

What immediately bothers me about the design is the rotational balance of the asymmetrical rotors. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
462 Posts
VERY interesting! I think it's cool. The asymmetrical properties are what makes it all work apparently. I enjoyed the wikipedia animation. What I wonder is, there will be several of these rotary "cylinders" in a car-sized motor right? The way the torque power is released at the beginning of the cycle doesn't appear to be consistent the entire motion, or I don't feel that it would be. So you would need several of these offset from each other to provide a nice smooth operation. Otherwise you would feel some sort of a refresh rate. (I am no expert, I just noticed no one responded, and I found it really neat!)

·
Registered
38 Posts
flywheels

Ever ridden a single cylinder motorcycle or scooter. or a 3 cylinder car. Actually there are 4 cylinder engines designed around the big bang fireing order (2 then 2) the flywheel evens out the power and keeps the engine turning through the compression cycle.

that engine cycle is very interesting, with a lot of intake exhaust overlap and what looks like an incredibly high compression ratio. Someone needs to build one of these.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts