GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello, all!

Just bought my Certified 2014 Chevy volt 2 weekends ago, and I love it. Black exterior and Jet black interior with white trim. The car runs smooth and everything seems to be working the way it should be (btw, only 2k miles on the car). I must say I Was hesitant at first, as I have always owned Honda's (current cars: 1999 Accord EX V6 coupe dropped and sitting on tokiko blues and tein springscoupe/fun car, 2011 Accord SE 4 banger/commuter/adult car), but I love my car more and more each day. Making the switch to American car was a pretty big deal...but i'm glad I did it!

I live in a suburb of San Francisco, and commute Mon-Fri during the typical commute hours. Its about 42 miles with drive times ranging from 35min-1.5 hours (and that's one way). I'm not used to having such a small gas tank, but even with 1 full tank...i'm going on 2 weeks and still have a quarter tank left to go (not daily driven..maybe 2-3 times each week). I have yet to drive my car on a charge, as I had to get an electrician to check out the power lines and sockets in my garage. I actually, just got the green light and will charge up tonight.

I will be on the forum website checking out FAQs, new chevy volt owner forums..ya know..."trying to get up on game" and i'm learning a lot. Lots of terms, lots of acronyms, its a little overwhelming-but i'm excited.

If you have any advice or tips...please DO NOT hesitate to contact this girl! I need all the help i can get. TY!!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Welcome to the club!

I'd start out by reading the FAQs on the forum, there's a lot of useful info to answer most of the common questions in there.

Other than that, ask away. Lots of friendly folks on here willing to help out.

Most of all, enjoy your volt :)

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I have yet to drive my car on a charge, as I had to get an electrician to check out the power lines and sockets in my garage. I actually, just got the green light and will charge up tonight.
Wow, look at that. Someone did it the right way. You're a rare girl slboogie (rare for guys to do this too FYI). Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You have yet to drive your Volt in EV mode? Hope that ends soon! Soon you'll be like the rest of us, avoiding gas like the plague. Hopefully you can find a place to charge at work. Not at all unusual to see 1000 mile tanks of gas in the Volt. I just put gas in mine after my trip back from Seattle over Christmas. Only 950 miles on this tank. I predict those Accords will be gathering a lot of dust! Enjoy your Volt!

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you already love your Volt - you will lose your mind on the way to work tomorrow after your first charge! Yay for you, welcome!

·
Registered
49 Posts
You'll get used to the small tank once you start driving without the ICE. I commute 880 to Milpitas 26 mi each way, can charge at work so I'm going on 24K miles and 12 gallons TOTAL after 2 years.
Now you'll have to change your profile to say you're a volt owner!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, everyone! What is the secret to making the charge last? I Hopped in my car and charge read that it was good for 38 miles. Made it to SF from Vallejo with 2 miles left before hitting the tank. I think I need to start reading more lol.
A few things that I tried this morning after reading some articles yesterday:
-using the seat warmers instead of blasting the heat, and adjusting cabin climate as needed
-trying to coast/being gentle on the gas and break (but of course being mindful of the commuters behind me as to not cruise at 40mph).

Are there any tricks you guys have for conserving energy? Is there magic button =P? Should I drive in "L" (I read a few articles that argued for and against this)?

HELP!

·
Registered
11,416 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thank you, everyone! What is the secret to making the charge last?
And so it begins.......

Seriously, the secret is to set the settings where you want to be comfortable, and not worry about it. But it's too soon for that to actually sink in. Electric Range OCD is where everyone starts, then you mellow out and realize that a couple of miles makes no difference. I used to fiddle with the buttons and switch between comfort and eco and Fan Only, now I don't worry about it.

I do use "Low" in slow traffic, simply because it's easier (not for regen itself, that's a nice side benefit). But I'm an old school manual-transmission kind of guy. In the Mercedes I use the paddles to downshift, that's just the way I am.

Since you're going to use some gas every day, the biggest thing (if you're going to need heat) is to start with the car in "Hold" mode. Let the engine run and generate lots of heat to get the interior up to temp, then switch to electric after at least 5 miles. The electric heater will use much less juice *keeping* the interior at a comfortable temp than it will use *getting* the interior to a comfortable temp.

Have fun!

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
And so it begins.......

Seriously, the secret is to set the settings where you want to be comfortable, and not worry about it. But it's too soon for that to actually sink in. Electric Range OCD is where everyone starts, then you mellow out and realize that a couple of miles makes no difference. I used to fiddle with the buttons and switch between comfort and eco and Fan Only, now I don't worry about it.
The eternal inner dialog:

"Oh GOD, there goes the engine again! I thought this thing was supposed to be efficient!"
"And how much gas has it burned?"
"Gallons! Two! Almost. 1.8. But it feels like I just filled up days ago!"
"And how far have you gone?"
"Uhm... 218 miles."
"Do the math."
"I don't know! 120 maybe?"
"And what's the PT Cruiser over there getting?"
"19? 21?"
"What was your point again?"

·
Registered
50 Posts
Congratulations

Congrats! I too just picked up a 2014 (demo) . . . was considering waiting for the 2016's but the deal was just too good. That and when you figure I owned my 2001 BMW z3 for 15 years and only put 98,000 miles on it . . . made sense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts