GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In browsing the Spark page over at Chevrolet.com I noticed the ICE Spark has integrated roof rails that allow one to simply add accessory cross bars. That would be a great solution for me as the kids surf all the time and slapping the boards on the roof would solve that problem. The Spark EV appears not to have the rails. I was wondering if they could be retrofitted? I know there aren't a lot of them floating around yet but wondered if anyone knows? I would guess they were deleted from the Spark EV to help the drag coefficient and maybe even save a few dollars given the expense of the powertrain. Thoughts?

Thx

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
They probably omit them on the EV version for aerodynamic purposes. I would assume the roof structure is the same, so you should be able to add them. I would ask your local dealer if they could install them for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It can be done, but it was a giant headache, and thank godness i had the dealer install it as part of the deal.

So the EV is missing a bracket that strengthens the roof to support the additional rails and weight. When my poor dealership first drilled the holes and tightened the racks, the roof initially dented in under the pressure. They had to undo it, strip out the roof lining, weld supporting brackets, fix the roof, repaint it, and after a week, i had a Spark EV with the roof rails. This was within a week or so of the car being available.

Also the roof rails makes a whistling noise, i thought it was my bike rack, but i simply used some clear packing tape and sealed the underside of the bars by the tips, and the noise is down to zero.

At the end of the day I'm very happy to have them as the dealership was keen to make do on their word, but I think the dealership took a hit. I wouldn't be surprised if other dealers have the same aversion to putting anything on the roof of the EV Spark as they have on the Volt.

Make sure if you do it, get it done at the dealership and not as an aftermarket install.

Good luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I leased mine, so I just added the Rhino-rack set linked above. Pretty good kit, I had it on my Volt previously. One note: in the link from Pete, it says the load limit is 165lbs (as it was with the Volt), but the instructions with the fit kit says only 100lbs.

·
Administrator
20,116 Posts
Well that's very disappointing news. The car I would replace with a Spark EV has a roof rack and I use it fairly often. I expected (and need) the Spark EV to have a roof rack option just like the regular Spark. Major bummer.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It does have an option, just a third-party one.

Here's a pict with the rack installed:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts