GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I wonder if fitting roof rails for chevy cruze could work on Volt Gen1 ?

there is some aftermarket one for sale for the cruze, now is the roof the same as the volt?

cruze railing01.jpg cruze railing02.jpg

the Spark ICE and the Bolt also have some rails system

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
The Volt is wider so while the feet will work the Cruze uses shorter rails.

·
Administrator
20,811 Posts
I suspect they will not work unless the Volt has the same roof curvature AND has structural support and attachment points. You may need to pull down the roof liner to find out. I don't see Chevy spending an extra nickel to add those for rails it never intended for the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx for all input,
I though roof symetry was same with the cruze since they share the same platform.

Anchor point could be installed, i remember once upon a time i did install a thule fit kit for my old 1993 eurovan metal roof. There is a tool like a rivet that expand. It can also be used on fiberglass roof (i also have a 1973 westfalia).
I can dig up to get what was the fit kit.

·
Administrator
20,811 Posts
Thx for all input,
I though roof symetry was same with the cruze since they share the same platform.

Anchor point could be installed, i remember once upon a time i did install a thule fit kit for my old 1993 eurovan metal roof. There is a tool like a rivet that expand. It can also be used on fiberglass roof (i also have a 1973 westfalia).
I can dig up to get what was the fit kit.
"platform" is not what you are implying it is. Sure, a screw or rivet might work to keep the rail from pulling off the roof. That's not the same as support for the weight. The Gen 1 roof is very flexible.

But please post pictures and notes of your project, I'm sure others will be interested to see how it's done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure, i have to find a way to carry my wood canoe for the coming summer.

For now my ski goes in the trunk.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Rhino rack and maybe some other rack companies make a removable rack that will fit. I think I saw one offered for sale here recently.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts