GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
So how do I decide which car to root for? The car design? The paint job? The team or team name? The sponsor

And who do I root for? The designer? The programmer(s)? The crew chief? The owner? The sponsor?

It would seem to take something away from the traditional race fan. I'm sure I'll figure something out, but at the moment, inquiring minds are a bit stymied.

Steve

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So how do I decide which car to root for? The car design? The paint job? The team or team name? The sponsor

And who do I root for? The designer? The programmer(s)? The crew chief? The owner? The sponsor?

It would seem to take something away from the traditional race fan. I'm sure I'll figure something out, but at the moment, inquiring minds are a bit stymied.

Steve
Good points. Right now I'm just interested in if they can race without crashing, and how fast. A driver can feel his car. Can a computer connected to all of the sensors in real time do better?

·
Registered
962 Posts
It should be interesting. It is complex enough to get a car to drive itself at 40,60, or 80 MPH in traffic. Doing the same at 160 180, or 200 would seem to be a bit more complex. And, of course, the possible strategy things that might come into play or be introduced by the race series may cause fits for lots of people. Pit stops? Autonomous pit stops??? Cautions? Max speed zones? On course penalties by restricting power? Multiple possible lap configurations? It should be an interesting series to watch develop. I say that Indy should try to book them as a look forward to the next 100 years at the world's greatest test ground for speed.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It goes further than that IMO. For example can a Robocar do a crossover? Does it know what that is and when to try it? So many things we race fans tend to take for granted that have to be coded, and work together.

I wonder how they're going to administrate the rules. Run short through a chicane or a bus stop and they zap the car?

·
Registered
508 Posts
It would be interesting to have humans compete with the robots. As was done in Chess until the robots beat the world's top human.

GSP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts